The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Current Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Current Events Help understand the world by talking about things happening in it

Old 03-31-2007, 02:27 AM   #1
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

CA on fire

The season is starting early, shame the National Guard's out of town.
That's the Hollywood Hills, in case you didn't know.

Last edited by xoxoxoBruce; 04-07-2007 at 05:46 PM.
xoxoxoBruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2007, 07:50 AM   #2
TheMercenary
“Hypocrisy: prejudice with a halo”

I really want to know when it is going to fall into the ocean.
Old 03-31-2007, 10:59 AM   #3
elSicomoro
Person who doesn't update the user title

I used to think that way about California, but after I visited it, my opinion changed. California is beautiful...it's just the people that are crazy. And it's not all of them...just a lot of 'em.
elSicomoro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2007, 11:10 AM   #4
TheMercenary
“Hypocrisy: prejudice with a halo”

Quote:
Originally Posted by sycamore View Post
I used to think that way about California, but after I visited it, my opinion changed. California is beautiful...it's just the people that are crazy. And it's not all of them...just a lot of 'em.
So basically what you are saying is that Neutron Bomb is in order and I should stop waiting for it to fall in the ocean?

I thought N. Calif was stunning. Southern Calif is more like Mexico.
Old 03-31-2007, 11:30 AM   #5
Sheldonrs
Master Dwellar

I lived near there for a long time. The fires happen every year and I thought they were beautiful to watch. I probably would think less of them if it was my stuff burning though.
What I never understood was why would someone re-build over and over again in the same place when it keeps burning every few years?
Old 03-31-2007, 11:59 AM   #6
elSicomoro

I guess it's like the people that want to rebuild in the Lower 9th in Nola, or the people that rebuilt in St. Louis after the 1993 floods. I'd say part of it is sentimental attachment and another part of it is just being ornery. "Oh, you don't think I should rebuild here? Well, fuck you! I'm gonna do it anyway!"

I might rebuild once, but a second time? That's probably God telling me to go.
elSicomoro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2007, 12:06 PM   #7
Sheldonrs
Master Dwellar

Quote:
Originally Posted by sycamore View Post
I guess it's like the people that want to rebuild in the Lower 9th in Nola, or the people that rebuilt in St. Louis after the 1993 floods. I'd say part of it is sentimental attachment and another part of it is just being ornery. "Oh, you don't think I should rebuild here? Well, fuck you! I'm gonna do it anyway!"

I might rebuild once, but a second time? That's probably God telling me to go.
If only the idiots in Malibu took the hint. Fires, floods and mudslides every year and they still stay!
And it's not really all that great a place. Too foggy in the mornings.
Old 03-31-2007, 01:10 PM   #8
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

Rebuild on anchored concrete stilts I say!

Be the one house on your block to survive... AND thus catch all the debris of the other houses on the block! It's looting without the hard work!
Undertoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2007, 01:46 PM   #9
footfootfoot
To shreds, you say?

Location: in the house and on the street-how many, many feet we meet!
How is California like granola?

If you get rid of all the fruits and nuts the only thing left is the flakes.
Old 04-01-2007, 12:32 AM   #10
Bullitt
This is a fully functional babe lair

A little fire don't scare me! I'm still moving out there to teach in the Capistrano Unified School District in three years.
If it breaks off into the ocean, that just means two coasts!
Old 04-01-2007, 03:22 AM   #11
Beestie
-◊|≡·∙■·∙≡|◊-

California is too beautiful to say no to.

But for a series of events over which I had little control I would be a permanent resident of California. Northern California, that is. Southern Cal just didn't work for me at all.
Old 04-01-2007, 12:35 PM   #12
wolf
lobber of scimitars

You know, I've often said that I wouldn't piss on California if it was on fire, and look! Here's my opportunity!

Does anyone know the extent to which the fires are the result of "environmental" regs that don't allow communities to clear brush and cut firebreaks?

"Conspiracies are the norm, not the exception." --G. Edward Griffin The Creature from Jekyll Island

High Priestess of the Church of the Whale Penis
wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2007, 04:02 PM   #13
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheldonrs View Post
What I never understood was why would someone re-build over and over again in the same place when it keeps burning every few years?
Insurance pays for the loss, and in a few years between fires they don't have many keepsakes accumulated.
Plus, like Wolf said, they have a bunch of stupid laws keeping them from fire-proofing the landscape in built up areas.
Old 04-01-2007, 11:06 PM   #14
steambender
It just needs a minor tweak...here...

Here in San Diego, our average yearly rainfall is something like 13". Total. Most years it does not rain between say April 1st and October...dew and Fog, but no raindrops.

We're several inches behind this year, and LA is worse, things are already crispy and ready to go and the hot weather really hasn't started yet. The dry climate breeds woody scrub with a high resin content, basically made to burn. The illegals are very careful in their tent cities in the canyons, they grew up with the fire threat. It's the city folk, or bored suburban teenagers, or firebugs. Throw in hot Santa Anna desert winds at 30 mph and 10% RH and wait for the fun.

Fire breaks are required in our area, and stucco construction with concrete tile roofs. The bad fires 3 1/2 years ago got within a mile, and this is not a high risk area. I've got pics from the end of the street, 30' high walls of flame, dry eucalyptus trees exploding in flames. It was exactly then that I realized the blizzards I grew up with were a nuisance, but not life or property threatening.
steambender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2007, 02:31 AM   #15
Urbane Guerrilla

My end of SoCal is, oh, just about enough like Mexico -- you get the authentic Mexican savor to the Mexican food. (No quiero Taco Bell.)

Blizzards cave your roof in if the wind didn't blow the snow off. I spent my teenage years in South Dakota. I haven't been back, and there's a reason.

Probably the best picture of the fire is the one of the smoke column and the Hollywood sign.

We get two kinds of fire seasons: early and late. This one's an early, and it happens in dry years, when the vegetation dries out the sooner and the fires get going, but there's not a great deal of foliage for them to burn. Late fire seasons are when we get a good year for rain and lots of plant growth, which then dries out later, and then the later fire season has lots to burn.

Aside from its location, this one is neither particularly bad nor especially remarkable. Now if we could just get the newsies to stop saying "wildfire" about every blaze not domesticated in a fireplace, we'd be making real progress. Let's have sense and sensibility, guys.

Wolf, I'm getting naughty thoughts of you squatting...:p And I don't do golden showers, living by the adage that it is better to be pissed off than pissed on.

Last edited by Urbane Guerrilla; 04-02-2007 at 02:36 AM.
Urbane Guerrilla is offline   Reply With Quote