The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Home Base
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Home Base A starting point, and place for threads don't seem to belong anywhere else

Old 04-15-2012, 04:01 AM   #1
SamIam

Psycho part 237 or long, long days, short little life

Ever have one of those "ahah" moments when slitting your wrists or cruising down to the local bar to discover just how much booze one has to consume to die of alcohol poisoning or best of all, going up to the state capitol and going postal all seem like far more viable options than whatever you currently have been doing?

Me neither.

But I'm close.

Where to begin? I think I'll start with goat lady. Not that she really has much to do with anything, but I gotta respect her for outstandingly bizarre behavior. I met her because today my part of the world got hit by a spring snowstorm straight out of the annals of global warming. It snowed. Then it snowed more. Then it got very cold. They closed all the passes. Yet another snow plow driver got slicked off of Highway 550 over Red Mountain. Panicked tourists from the flat lands descended in droves upon the Bates Motel seeking refuge. Someone should warn them.

Goat Lady didn't need warning - she had found her element in room 10. She seemed normal enough when she checked in, complaining about the horrific travel conditions like everyone else. She also asked if her dog would be allowed. Sure, we're pet friendly I told her, not mentioning that were not friendly to much of anything else.

So she filled out her registration card and paid her room fee of $50.00 all in rolls of quarters. Whatever. At least she paid. She got the very last room. I flipped on the "No Vacancy" sign and went out to cover up the pansies that the owner's idiot wife had insisted on planting way too early. An hour or so passed. The calm before the storm. Or during the storm.

Then a semi hysterical woman from some place like Kansas, but it wasn't Kansas came into the office and interrupted me from my perusal of a view of Greenland which I'd been looking at courtesy of Google Earth. "There's a goat in a car out in the parking lot," she exclaimed. "You have to do something because its in there with all the windows rolled up and its going to use up all the air and suffocate!" I considered informing her that your average car does not come equipped with air tight vacuum seals, but realized I'd be wasting my time, so I just stared at her. "You have to do something! Its in the car in front of room 10."

Well, actually, I DIDN'T have to do much of anything, but a goat being transported in a '93 Chevy Sedan with no license plates seemed more interesting than satellite photos of Greenland in what appeared to be our exact same snowstorm, so I went out to take a look.

Sure enough, there was a really cute baby goat standing up in the driver's seat of the Chevy and nibbling on the seat cover. It seemed to be breathing well enough, but it sure was shivering. And that seat cover didn't look especially nutritional. That little goat was in for a long, very cold night. I hate human beings. I really do.

I banged on the door of room 10. Someone inside yelled, "Who is it?" "Management!" I snarled. The lady of the endless supply of rolls of quarters opened the door. She appeared to have been doing some serious research on the alcohol poisoning question with maybe a little meth thrown in to make it interesting.

I laid down the law. "You cannot keep that goat in a car parked on the motel lot. If you don't get proper shelter for that animal, I'll call the animal control officers who can take care of it, since you obviously can't." I was making this up as I went along, but it sounded good. She didn't have to know that animal control takes the weekend off.

Goat lady tried placating me. "Well, I could put a diaper on her and keep her in the bathroom," she suggested. I imagined the look on the housekeeper's face when she opened the door to room 10 in the morning. It was not a happy thought. "Pet friendly does not mean livestock friendly. You cannot keep a goat in your room and you cannot keep it in a Chevy Sedan in our parking lot in this weather."

Goat Lady came out of her room and wandered over to the car and stared at the goatlet as if seeing it for the first time. "Well, I guess I could drive it back home and put it in the barn." Splendid thought! Why didn't you do that from the start? Except that I had a sudden vision of her and the goat careening drunkenly off the side of some mountain and vanishing into the icy dark. They wouldn't be found until June when the snow drifts finally melted. I was defeated, but didn't let on to it. "Well, you need to resolve this problem one way or the other," I said, preparing to scurry back into the warmth of the motel office. I'd tried.

GL continued to peer into her car. "Say! Where's my dog? He's a big white dog. Have you seen him?" Sure, lady. He came in right after the big white rabbit.

She reached into her car and plucked out her goat, holding him tightly and began to cry. "My dog! Where's my dog?" Hopefully, sitting in someone's kitchen and working hard at getting a new home.

I gave up and went back to add up the day's receipts. Which were hopelessly snarled because, Normie, the motel owner had treated a check as cash, then realized his mistake a day later and put an equal sum of cash into the till after depositing the check at his bank. All without a word to anyone, never mind writing it down in the books. It took me an hour and a half of my own time to figure out what happened and make the books finally balance. I arrived home near midnight, still seething with resentment against the State Legislature.

Yes, this all comes down to yet another example of the short sightedness and general stupidity of any and all politicians. I'm still working for minimum wage. Norm doesn't reward loyalty or hard work or anything. He knows there's no work to be found around here and he can pay his employees as little as he wants and treat us however he feels like it, because it either him or the front seat of the Chevy Sedan, trying to stay warm by chewing on the seat cover.

The State legislature gets into the act by punishing people like me who are trying to get back into the workforce. In particular, the Legislature hates disabled people who have a housing voucher to help them out while they try to get their lives back together. Like me (yes, this is all about me, but you knew that already). I and everyone else in Colorado in my situation am allowed to work one year before they start to make the difficult the impossible. It doesn't matter if you somehow snag a great full time job with terrific pay and benefits or a crummy part time, minimum wage job at some place like the Bates. It's one year, no matter what.

Well, my year (actually I squeaked by for a year and a half) is up next week. Since I earn about $200/week at the moment, the value of my voucher will be cut by $50.00/week. In effect, I will be taking a pay cut and working for $5.00/hour instead of $7.00. But wait! It gets better. In 6 months from now I can look forward to another voucher cut amounting to $100.00/week resulting in a real pay of $2.50/hour. And 6 months after that I (and everyone else) will lose the voucher completely should we continue to work at our part time, minimum wage jobs. In effect, I'll will then be working for free and worse off than if I would have just sat around this place on my ass for two years.

When you get right down to it, cutting social programs is an idea whose time has come. Not only will it put people back on the streets where they belong that much more quickly and efficiently, it will separate the sheep from the goats. Or the big white dogs. Or something. And I can cry if I want to because its 3am and I can't wake up Jim or Carmen to bitch to them and whine for sympathy and the only people on the Cellar right now are a couple of Aussies who are much wittier and better writers than I.

So, I hope you're reading their posts, not mine. (sniff)

Last edited by SamIam; 04-15-2012 at 04:26 AM.
SamIam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 04:08 AM   #2
DanaC
We have to go back, Kate!

Oh sweetie. What a shitty situation.

All I gots is cyberhugz babe. *hugs*

And Carrot offers a puppy kiss with nibbly teeth and accidental raptor claw slash to the neck.
DanaC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 09:49 AM   #3
monster
I hear them call the tide

I would have let her take the goat into the bathroom and denied all knowledge in the morning. Sorry your work situation is so bad. Any chance of getting more hours? What about the gardening jobs you were looking into last year. I know someone who pulls weeds for more than double minimum wage, gets work by word-of-mouth, makes up their own hours and mostly gets paid in cash.....
Old 04-15-2012, 07:32 PM   #4
SamIam

Thanks, guys. Yeah, Monster, I still see the gardening thing as my best bet. Can't do it here though. There's nobody who has the money to pay for a gardener. Gotta get out of this place.

Dana, did you get a new fur face? Pix anywhere? I'm so pleased for you!
Old 04-15-2012, 09:30 PM   #5
monster

What will people pay good cash for where you are?
Old 04-15-2012, 10:31 PM   #6
SamIam

Ummmmm... That would be nothing, Monster. The Recession hit this town very hard and has never gone away despite whatever lies the economists are telling about the US in general. Cortez is a small town located smack in the middle of two very large and very desperate Native American reservations. That means lots of people vying for whatever few jobs there are. And there's no major employers here. People either get by growing big crops of pinto beans or else shaking down any tourists who may happen by. There's some very spectacular mountains and deserts out here, but you have to be determined to come see them. The largest metro area of any size is a good 4 hour drive away.

We are so remote that even Public Radio has given up on us. Their transmission tower went down in the last big snow storm before this one, and they never have bothered to get it running again. We DO have Radio Free Navajo, though. Except I can't understand it.

I need to get my courage up to quit the Bates and seek my fortune in Durango 50 miles from here. Durango has turned into a very chic Mountain Resort with housing prices to match. But they have lots of jobs - compared to here, anyhow. And Durango would be the place where gardeners get hired at $14.00/hour or so.
Old 04-15-2012, 10:48 PM   #7
monster

could you propagte local plants and sell them to the tourists?
Old 04-15-2012, 11:36 PM   #8
SamIam

LOL! That's a great idea, Monster! I never even thought of it. I'm starting my peyote farm tomorrow!

Interested parties may contact me by PM.

Seriously, people here are already selling local plants to the tourists plus grocery shoppers everywhere in the form of the humble pinto bean. The pinto outfits are impressively huge and hire lots of illegals every fall to harvest them.

I appreciate your suggestions, but the only reason for someone like me to stay here is the low cost of housing. And even cheap housing becomes out of reach if you can't earn an income. My friends here have pensions and other income from jobs they once held elsewhere.

And Jim, the closest friend I have in Cortez, is determined to leave himself. I have to admire him for his guts because he is in a situation identical to mine - 59 and with a disability. I asked him what he seriously thinks his chances are.

He said "Hell, if I send out enough resumes, SOMEBODY will be stupid enough to hire me!" That's the spirit! Jim worked as a coal miner for 20 years, and he's excited about getting a mining job in the new uranium mines north of here. "The pay's good and by time I get cancer, I'll have already been dead ten years or more." I love his spunk!

We are tentatively planning to throw in together on the cost of gas and hitting every other town between here and Grand Junction with a blizzard of job applications. Estimated time of departure is a week from tomorrow. Wish us luck!

Last edited by SamIam; 04-15-2012 at 11:43 PM.
Old 04-16-2012, 04:11 AM   #9
DanaC
We have to go back, Kate!

Good luck m'dear. Sound slike it's as good a chance as any on the horizon and at least he sounds a fun travelling companion.

And yes...I have a new fur face *grins*

His name is Carrot Pilausson and he has now hit the grand old age of 16 weeks.

There are a few pics around *grins* natch:

http://cellar.org/showpost.php?p=798079&postcount=2034
http://cellar.org/showpost.php?p=801615&postcount=2045
http://cellar.org/showpost.php?p=801616&postcount=2046
http://cellar.org/showpost.php?p=806013&postcount=2070
http://cellar.org/showpost.php?p=806226&postcount=2076
http://cellar.org/showpost.php?p=806227&postcount=2077
http://cellar.org/showpost.php?p=806228&postcount=2078
DanaC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 10:11 AM   #10
monster

Good Luck!
Old 04-16-2012, 11:00 AM   #11
Gravdigr
The Un-Tuckian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamIam View Post
Dana, did you get a new fur face? Pix anywhere?
You have been away, haven't you?

BTW: Goats (and big white dogs) survived millions of years (in very cold places) before cars (or motels) were even thought of.

I bet Greenland has goats.

And what's so awful about the goat sitting in the car? What, you want him to drive around all night?

Have you seen the price of gas?

These statements have not been evaluated by the FDA, EPA, FBI, DEA, CDC, or FDIC. These statements are not intended to diagnose, cause, treat, cure, or prevent any disease. If you feel you have been harmed/offended by, or, disagree with any of the above statements or images, please feel free to fuck right off.
Gravdigr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 11:18 AM   #12
SamIam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gravdigr View Post
BTW: Goats (and big white dogs) survived millions of years (in very cold places) before cars (or motels) were even thought of.

I bet Greenland has goats.

And what's so awful about the goat sitting in the car? What, you want him to drive around all night?

Have you seen the price of gas?
Oh, I figured the dog was asleep behind one of the beds in the room. Goat Lady was so out of it, she could have had an entire herd of pookas in her room and never noticed them.

Back in the day when the Vikings had settlements in Greenland, they had sheep (unsure of goats). But they had to keep their sheep and cattle in barns the entire winter. By the time spring arrived the animals had to be carried out of the stables because their legs had no strength left. Even at that, ultimately neither sheep nor goat or man survived in Greenland. Everyone died around 1400 or so - the climate changed and became too cold even for Vikings to survive.

We have Rocky Mountain goats around here - tough little bastards. But they have evolved to stand conditions that would make a lesser goat pack up the family car and head south.

I was more worried about the goat getting pulled over for the no license plate thing.
Old 04-17-2012, 11:26 AM   #13
wolf
lobber of scimitars

I can say, without hesitation, that I have never had to deal with a goat.

We housed a cat once, at the old nuthouse, who ended up being adopted by one of the staff members when her owner realized that it wasn't fair to keep the cat in his van down by the river.

And there was a dog that someone else took from a patient, beautiful black shepherd.

But no goats.

One of the nurses did load a couple of domestic/canada goose crosses that were being beat up on by the canada flock into his car to take home, but still no goats.

They tell me that people can bring assistance animals to the new nuthouse. I am hoping that someone comes in with a handy-monkey.

"Conspiracies are the norm, not the exception." --G. Edward Griffin The Creature from Jekyll Island

High Priestess of the Church of the Whale Penis
wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 03:07 PM   #14
Trilby
Slattern of the Swail

Monkey butlers!!!
In Barrie's play and novel, the roles of fairies are brief: they are allies to the Lost Boys, the source of fairy dust and ...They are portrayed as dangerous, whimsical and extremely clever but quite hedonistic.

"Shall I give you a kiss?" Peter asked and, jerking an acorn button off his coat, solemnly presented it to her.
—James Barrie

Wimminfolk they be tricksy. - ZenGum
Trilby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 04:13 PM   #15
BigV
Goon Squad Leader

or a cheeky-monkey!