The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Arts & Entertainment

Arts & Entertainment Give meaning to your life or distract you from it for a while

Old 02-19-2004, 04:40 PM   #1
lumberjim
I can hear my ears

cd exchange program

Tell me what you think about this:

pretty much everyone has a cd burner at this point, right? how could we exchange cd's that have our favorite songs on them....I have several of these discs that i've made with different songs on them. jinx did this with a much smaller group of her online friends, and they all made 5 copies of their favorites, and mailed them off to each other.....I just don;t know if that method would work here with so many of us. I kind of like the idea of getting a cd full of songs that you might not normally be attracted to because of your preconception of what that band is all about. I also think it would work best if the songs were not too main stream or current so that people wouldn't get a cd fullup with songs they've already heard.

3 ideas i have:

1. we post the song list from a cd we're willing to exchange, and negotiate trades individually.

2. we get x amount of people to commit to a swap, not knowing who's cd they'd get, ( like a secret santa or polyana) and then figure out a way to randomly match people up for a trade.

3. we could request a cd from someone specifically that we think might have some interesting taste, still not knowing what particular songs they'd give you.

then we could review the cd's, and put up what we think it says about the person we got it from? too deep?
lumberjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2004, 05:01 PM   #2
dar512
dar512 is now Pete Zicato

Sigh. I know this will start a long and tiring argument, but even so.

Unless you are the author of the works you intend to exchange, doing as you have suggested is immoral. In addition, going about this online will likely get you a lawsuit from the recording industry people.
dar512 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2004, 05:12 PM   #3
lumberjim
I can hear my ears

these cd's would be strictly borrowed......for 100 years each

party pooper
Old 02-19-2004, 05:15 PM   #4
jinx
Come on, cat.

How did mixed tapes suddenly become immoral?
jinx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2004, 05:56 PM   #5
Archer
off target

We can argue the morality/legality of swapping songs until we are all blue in the face.

I know this isn't in the original three suggestions, but just list the songs on your "now playing" cd/mp3 player. Then everyone can aquire those songs in whatever manner they see fit.

And yes, the current music promotion and distribution system is so broken, it makes the medical/insurance industry look like a well oiled machine.

BTW:

David Gray - Dead in the Water

Phish - Dance Around the Room

Dave Matthews - Save Me

Jet - Are You Gonna be my Girl

Sister Hazel - Champagne High

Nickel Creek - Green & Gray

Old 97's - Nineteen

Janes Addiction - Jane Says (Live)

Oukast - Hey Ya (not a word from anyone )

Everlast - Ends

Eagles - Seven Bridges Road

Fountains of Wayne - Staceys Mom

Audioslave - Show me how to Live

At least that's the stuff in heavy rotation atm. Master list has a few more on it

*edit: the c and n keys should not be next to each other*
Archer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2004, 12:59 AM   #6
juju
no one of consequence

Here's a mix cd I had in my car for a while. I apologize for the length. I can fit a lot of mp3s on one cd, though.

<center><hr width=20% noshade></center>

Aerosmith - One Way Street (Unplugged).mp3
Ani Difranco - Pale Purple.mp3
Ani DiFranco - Buildings and Bridges.mp3
Beatles - Across The Universe (Psychedelic version).mp3
Beatles - Helter Skelter.mp3
Blind Melon - Change.mp3
Blind Melon - Tones Of Home.mp3
Blues Traveler - Bridge - 01 - Back in The Day.mp3
Blues Traveler - Run Around -unplugged.mp3
Blues Travelers - Hook.mp3
Bob Marley - Get Up Stand Up.mp3
Bob Marley - Jammin'.mp3
Bon Jovi - Keep The Faith.mp3
Bon Jovi - Midnight in Chelsea.mp3
Bon Jovi - Sad Song Night.mp3
colin hay - beautiful_world.mp3
colin hay - overkill.mp3
Crystal_Method_-_Vegas_-_Bad_Stone.mp3
Crystal_Method_-_Vegas_-_Keep_Hope_Alive.mp3
David Lee Roth - I'm Just A Gigolo.mp3
Dead Kenedys - California Über Alles.mp3
Dead Kennedys - MTV Get Off The Air.mp3
Dead Kennedys - Riot.mp3
Dead Kennedys - Soup Is Good Food.mp3
Faith No More - Epic.mp3
Faith No More - Woodpecker From Mars.mp3
Genesis - Jesus He Knows Me.mp3
Jimi_Hendrix_-_Blues_-_Catfish_Blues.mp3
Jimi_Hendrix_-_Blues_-_Jelly_292.mp3
Jimi_Hendrix_-_Blues_-_Voodoo_Chile_Blues.mp3
Jimmy Page and The Black Crows - Shake Your Money Maker.mp3
Jon Bon Jovi - Sad Song Night.mp3
Kiss_-_MTV_Unplugged_-_2,000_Man.mp3
Kiss_-_MTV_Unplugged_-_Comin_Home.mp3
Living Colour - Cult of Personality.mp3
Louis Armstrong & Duke Ellington - It Don't Mean A Thing.mp3
Metallica - Master of Puppets.mp3
Nirvana_-_MTV_Unplugged_In_New_York_-_Lake_Of_Fire.mp3
Phish - A Picture of Nectar - 13 - Chalk Dust Torture.mp3
Phish - Birds of a feather.mp3
phish - down with the disease.mp3
phish - first tube.mp3
Phish - Mike's Song.mp3
Pink_Floyd_-_Take_It_Back.mp3
Pink_Floyd_-_What_Do_You_Want_From_Me.mp3
Pixies - Wave of Mutilation [album v].mp3
prototype - transcendent_velocity.mp3
prototype - trinity.mp3
Queensryche - Empire.mp3
Queensryche - Screaming In Digital.mp3
Robben_Ford_-_The_Brother_(for_Jimmie_&_Stevie).mp3
Robben_Ford_-_You_Cut_Me_To_The_Bone.mp3
Rush-A_Show_of_Hands-04-Marathon.mp3
Rush_-_Counterparts_-_Cut_To_The_Chase.mp3
Rush-Power_Windows-5-Territories.mp3
Rush-Power_Windows-6-Middletown_Dreams.mp3
Rush-Roll_The_Bones-05-Wheres_My_Thing.mp3
Sam Cooke - Twistin' The Night Away.mp3
santana - black magic woman.mp3
santana & everlast - put your lights on.mp3
santana - evil ways.mp3
santana - oye como va.mp3
spocks_beard_-_gibberish.mp3
Steppenwolf - The Pusher.mp3
Stevie_Ray_Vaughan_-Texas_Flood-06-Rude_Mood.mp3
Stevie_Ray_Vaughan_-Texas_Flood-07-Mary_Had_A_Little_Lamb.mp3
Stevie Wonder - Superstition.mp3
Styx_-_Return_To_Paradise_Disc_2_-_Boat_On_The_River.mp3
Styx_-_Return_To_Paradise_Disc_2_-_Fooling_Yourself.mp3
Symphony X-The Odyssey-08-The Odyssey.mp3
tenacious d - cosmic shame.mp3
tenacious d - explosivo.mp3
tenacious d - rock your socks off.mp3
The_Doors-In_Concert_(Disc_One)-03-Alabama_Song.mp3
The_Doors-In_Concert_(Disc_One)-12-Break_On_Through_#2.mp3
The_Doors-In_Concert_(Disc_One)-16-The_Hill_Dwellers.mp3
The_Doors-Soundtrack_From_The_Movie-12-When_The_Musics_Over.mp3
The_Police-The_Classics-02-Cant_Stand_Losing_You.mp3
The_Police-The_Classics-06-De_Do_Do_Do,_De_Da_Da_Da.mp3
Tom_Petty_&_The_Heartbreakers_-_Greatest_Hits_-_Breakdown.mp3
Tom_Petty_-_Wildflowers_-_You_Wreck_Me.mp3
Van_Halen_-_Best_Of_Volume_1_-_Right_Now.mp3
Van_Halen_-_Best_Of_Volume_1_-_Unchained.mp3
Van Halen - Hot for Teacher.mp3
Van Halen - Ice Cream Man.mp3
Velvet Underground - Take a Walk on the Wild Side.mp3
Victor-Victor-04-Mr._X.mp3
Victor-Victor-08-Strip_And_Go_Naked.mp3
Who, The - My Generation.mp3
Who. The - Teenage Wasteland.mp3
Who, The - The Seeker.mp3
Yes_-_Fragile_-_Heart_of_the_Sunrise.mp3
Yes_-_Fragile_-_Long_Distance_Runaround.mp3
Yes-The_Ladder-07-To_Be_Alive_(Hep_Yadda).mp3
Yes-Union-07-Miracle_Of_Life.mp3

Last edited by juju; 02-20-2004 at 01:12 AM.
juju is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2004, 01:45 AM   #7
JeepNGeorge
Hand-of-Kindness Extender

Sounds like a great idea LJ, you can count me in. I like to learn about new artists, but since I'm on slow dial up it's hard for me to get songs people just list, legal or otherwise.

I tend to listen to mainly Johnny Cash, the man has such a diverse song inventory its easy to find something to fit whatever mood I'm in. Although Clutch (come on MF) is not bad for those 'I want to beat the living crap out of the next person the speaks' mood I sometimes get.
JeepNGeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2004, 08:52 AM   #8
dar512
dar512 is now Pete Zicato

Quote:
Originally posted by jinx
How did mixed tapes suddenly become immoral?
They're not immoral, jinx, if you made the mix from material you already have the rights to use and the mix cd is for your own use.

If you give a mix cd away, you have cheated the people/bands whose songs are on the cd. They deserve to make money on their creative works.

Here's an analogy that may simplify the issue:

I have a small shareware program that I sell for $10. I thought it up and spent the time to code it. People can try the limited version and if they like it they can send me the money to get an unlock key.

Now suppose someone sends me the $10 and gets their unlock key. Then they make a copy of the software and give it to a friend along with the key. That's two people using my software. I should have made $20 and only made $10.

It's the same thing for the guys who did all the songs on the mix tape.
dar512 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2004, 09:49 AM   #9
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

I used to really work at creating mix tapes, because there was so much good music that I wanted to get out to my friends. If they wanted to be on the list, they would get a tape; if they wanted off the list, they would not get one. I bought a good tape copying deck and "mastered" my mixes onto the highest quality cassettes.

Everybody on the list was really excited about it because it was a time when I was really paying attention and finding a lot of new bands that were awesome that nobody could hear unless I made a mix tape. I was sending out about 15 tapes every 6 months.

3-4 years previous, I had run my college's radio station, and I saw what was going on. Smaller labels pushing smaller bands would desperately PLEAD for this kind of attention, and would give it away routinely in order to promote. So I knew that what I was doing was moral. There was no question about it. My efforts probably sold a few hundred albums that otherwise wouldn't have been bought at all. Everyone in the chain, the artists, the management, the labels, and most of all the listeners, were served and benefitted from the arrangement.

You want a challenge: build this same thing, but only use unsigned artists that are very very good. It will take longer to make the CD because those acts have to be hunted down. 9 out of 10 minor label acts are terrible. But the great ones do exist. Every good major label act has a few minor label releases in their catalogue... and every good major label act will eventually be dropped, and if they continue on, they will release on minor labels.

And nobody will take you to court for doing this; instead they'll kiss you all over for doing it, and probably help you figure out how to make it all legal anyway, if you'll only keep promoting their music.
Undertoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2004, 10:32 AM   #10
lumberjim
I can hear my ears

Quote:
Originally posted by Undertoad

You want a challenge: build this same thing, but only use unsigned artists that are very very good.
oh, yeah.....that should be no problem. we all know 19 or 20 great unsigned bands that are willing to give us a single or two to promote to the millions of people that will be reading the reviews posted on the cellar.

sorry. woke up grumpy.

does a forum or website exist that caters to that kind of thing? one that, along with the talking about their music, has the ability to upload and play mp3 files. so that the bands can do what you described above......upload a song or three with pictures or videos linked in hopes that a talent scout or two would be listening? you could probably charge for the service, sell advertising to music stores, record labels, etc....

...if you do this and get rich, i'd like some monetary consideration.

and dar512, if that is your real name, since you have taken the position of morality cop on this particular thread, what is your morality radar telling you about the borrowing of said cds? Is it wrong for you to lend your neighbor the hedge clipper, when the manufacturer could have sold him one? are you cheating them? I think that as long as you are not turning a profit from the use of a product you have purchased that competes with the sales of the same product, you've done no real wrong.

in efforts to assuage the fears of lawsuits that you have stirred up, thereby considerably deflating the fun level of this idea, i'd be willing to reduce the length of time these cd's are borrowed to 3 weeks. this is enough time for us to sample the music contained therein, and if we like it we can take our lovely money down to the record store and pay the 19.99 for a cd we really only know that we like one song from,so that the authors of said cd can earn their $.37 which is their legal and "rightful share" after all of the fucking money grubbing machinery of the record industry has picked over the carcass of the band's work. hmmmpfh!

don;t let dar scare you people! i need more participants here....i dont want to have to listen to johnny cash.

oh, and by the way, juju, i hope to christ that you had that song list somewhere that you were able to cut and paste it. damn. too much for me to read.

i think the #2 or #3 idea is probably the best one. if we list the songs, it seems to takeall of the fun and mystery out of it. besides, sycamore already has that going on in the what's playing on the stereo thread.

idea#4:

like 2 and 3, but we create a "best of" cd that we can identify with personally. our lifetime alltime favorites. songs that have had meaning to us through the different phases of our lives. then whoever gets your cd can get to know you a little bit more. we could rotate these cds indefinately. check them out like library books. use a thread like this one to keep track of who has who;s cd at the moment

( wow, i just got Luvbugz's cd from undertoad, and it's full of strawberry shortcake theme songs, and liza monelli? who wants it next? )

OR

"I just got FnF's collection from Arsen, and goddamn, that guy's twisted. you gotta hear this cd! it gave me nightmares!"

I feel very strongly that a person's taste in music says a lot about them. it divided us in high school. right? punkers, metal heads, new wave fags, etc.....

c'mon, people, i wanna do this. who's with me?
Old 02-20-2004, 10:36 AM   #11
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

I'm in.
Old 02-20-2004, 10:39 AM   #12
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

And BTW, itsaboutmusic.com is a client of mine. This is exactly what you describe LJ. The bands pay to be on it but it's both a showcase and an official online store for acts, taking care of a lot of the BS. (We're working on a download store)
Old 02-20-2004, 10:40 AM   #13
kerosene
Touring the facilities

Great idea, LJ! I am all over this one.
kerosene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2004, 10:40 AM   #14
wolf
lobber of scimitars

crap. this means i'm going to have to get the tub o' CDs out of the pile ... I sure as shit hope it's above the tub o' videotapes. that mutherfucker's heavy.

I'm liking the idea here ...

"Conspiracies are the norm, not the exception." --G. Edward Griffin The Creature from Jekyll Island

High Priestess of the Church of the Whale Penis
wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2004, 10:47 AM   #15
lumberjim
I can hear my ears

ok, i guess we should start making our cd's, and ironing out particulars?

which method sounds the most interesting?