The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Current Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Current Events Help understand the world by talking about things happening in it

Old 12-30-2003, 12:41 PM   #1
deepandchilled03
Maximum Reflection

PETA

What's everyones thoughts on the latest insanity from PETA regarding handing out fliers to kids, reading "Your mom is a murderer for wearing fur"?

I feel sorry for "true" animal right activists, PETA gives them such a bad name.
Old 12-30-2003, 12:42 PM   #2
russotto
Professor

Re: PETA

Quote:
Originally posted by deepandchilled03
What's everyones thoughts on the latest insanity from PETA regarding handing out fliers to kids, reading "Your mom is a murderer for wearing fur"?
My mom hasn't worn fur since she moved to Florida. And she didn't kill anything; she has people to do that for her. :-)
russotto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2003, 12:49 PM   #3
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

I think most kids would question mom about it, which would give her a chance to explain the evil that is PETA.
Unless they were afraid of becoming a shawl.
xoxoxoBruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2003, 04:42 PM   #4
Elspode
When Do I Get Virtual Unreality?

I hate PETA, and I love a nice, thick, perfectly cooked and seasoned steak.

I don't condone the wearing of fur unless you kill and skin the creature yourself, and I think it is even more appropriate if you live somewhere where your survival depends on wearing that skin...Eskimos come to mind.

However, I'm not real big on telling other people what to do. In exchange, I expect them to leave me the hell alone.

I do wear leather shoes on occasion, but I figure I've eaten enough cows to cover that.
Old 12-30-2003, 06:16 PM   #5
quzah
Knight of the Oval-Shaped Conference Table

PETA lacks finesse. Their heart is, at times, in the right place. They just have lousy execution of their ideas. They few useful things, like recipes, but beyond that, I don't have use for them. And if all they're good for is recipes, there are easily other places for that.

Quzah.
quzah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2003, 06:37 PM   #6
Kitsune
still eats dirt

Re: PETA

Quote:
Originally posted by deepandchilled03
I feel sorry for "true" animal right activists, PETA gives them such a bad name.
I have similar feelings -- PETA tends to irritate me, as they do paint an unfriendly picture of animal rights activists as well as distort the good, general core ideas they have. But how they convey their messages is a bit much, to say the least.

Oddly, I've never found the wearing of fur to be fashionable and I'll even say it looks ugly. Only sometimes on a heavy winter coat does it even look okay. In seeing footage from the 1920's and the extremely rare person wearing on the street, I have to admit that I just don't get why people do it, especially the stoles.

Fox fur is, however, extremely beautiful when it is on an actual, living fox.
Kitsune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2003, 07:14 PM   #7
elSicomoro
Person who doesn't update the user title

Well shit, if Quzah doesn't like 'em...

To me, PETA is a lot like Radar...they mean well, but they're just fucking retards.
elSicomoro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2003, 08:04 PM   #8
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Quote:
Originally posted by Elspode

I don't condone the wearing of fur unless you kill and skin the creature yourself, and I think it is even more appropriate if you live somewhere where your survival depends on wearing that skin...Eskimos come to mind.
I'm not allowed to hire somebody to do it for me? So you feel they fur should just be thrown away? Seems like an awful waste.
Old 12-31-2003, 07:22 AM   #9
Happy Monkey
I think this line's mostly filler.

Quote:
Originally posted by xoxoxoBruce
I'm not allowed to hire somebody to do it for me? So you feel they fur should just be thrown away? Seems like an awful waste.
Not many people eat mink or fox. That's why fur raises more ire than leather.
|_______________| [pics]
Happy Monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2003, 07:46 AM   #10
BrianR
Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult

Which would you rather target: the women wearing fur coats that will run at the sight of a paint can or a bunch of bikers wearing their leather?
Seems simple enough to me. PETA has NEVER bothereds me about my wearing of leather...even excessive amounts of "dress leather".

Brian
Old 12-31-2003, 11:23 AM   #11
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Maybe this will help.
Old 12-31-2003, 11:59 AM   #12
Elspode
When Do I Get Virtual Unreality?

Quote:
Originally posted by xoxoxoBruce
No, as I said, I'm not big on foisting my ideas on anyone, so you can hire a whole legion of people to do it for you if you want. I believe that you, as an honorable man, will probably eat all the leftover minks and foxes and chinchillas after the garment is made.

"Man, that's good chinch!"
Old 12-31-2003, 12:41 PM   #13
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Mmmmm, chinch.
Old 12-31-2003, 12:56 PM   #14
russotto
Professor

Farmed furs are no different than any other farm animal in that the entire animal gets used one way or another.
russotto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2004, 12:09 AM   #15
Lady Sidhe
That's my story and I'm stickin' to it....

While I agree with the animal rights movement, I believe that PETA is rather like NOW, the Womens' rights movement....they go to extremes, and end up shoving their ideas down people's throats. People don't like that, and such behavior only turns people against them. Zealots of all kinds, whether it be religion, womens' rights, animal rights, ultra-conservatives, ultra-liberals, don't seem to be able to understand that.

And while I personally do not agree with the inhumane living conditions and killing methods used on food animals, do not agree with animal testing (I think we should use death-row inmates, myself), do not agree with raising animals for fur, or sport hunting, I show my opposition by refraining from eating meat (I don't bitch at others for eating meat, though), not hunting or associating with sport hunters, not buying fur or leather, not purchasing products from companies known to test on animals, and contributing to conservation groups. I also work for a no-kill shelter.

If more people would do these kinds of things to show their opposition, as in hitting animal-testers and fur-raisers and inhumane big-business farmers where it hurt, ie, the pocketbook, rather than throwing blood on people and generally acting like overzealous freaks, I think that more people would be amenable to hearing what they had to say, and would be more likely to support what they're doing.

Their aim is a noble one. It is. I believe that animals deserve humane treatment and shouldn't be used as a commodity until they're extinct. It's the nature of the human race to use up its natural resources. And thinking on it, I realize that humans are the only species on the planet that has no niche. Think about it yourself....if we were to go extinct, what balance would be destroyed? Not one. Humans are a disrupting influence on nature's balance because of the irresponsible gluttony of our species. WE as a group don't think, either. We just take. Now before you freak, I'm not one of those anti-human types. I'm just realistic and I've thought about it a lot. My husband and I like to debate, and this is one of our ongoing ones... ANYWAY, off the soapbox...lol

PETA does things like breaking into labs and releasing test animals...like I said, I don't agree with testing anything on animals, but some of these animals may have infectious diseases, and releasing them is dangerous. Groups like PETA just don't think. They're so focused on a single goal that they don't look at all the ramifications of what they do. They don't think long-term. They should take a lesson from the Catholic Church: Get 'em when they're young. They should teach their children respect for animals. They should give talks at elementary schools about animals and show THEM the inhumanity that humans subject animals to, merely because they believe they are entitled to do so.

Remember, someone must speak for the animals. Someone must be the voice of the voiceless.

And, as a side note, were it not for the animal protection group, the SPCA, child abuse would have gone on being ignored longer than it did....If you go to the original SPCA headquarters, you'll see a set of manacles hanging on the wall. They came from the wrist of a six-year-old girl whose parents had chained her to the bed. The authorities refused to intervene in a family matter (remember, children were considered property a hundred or so years ago), so the SPCA intervened, because according to them, the girl was a member of the mammal family, and thus under their jurisdiction. They succeeded in saving this little girl. So not all of the animal rights activists are zealots or nutcases. They truly care about these helpless creatures. And just remember, labs often buy animals from shelters to experiment on...these animals are someone's pet, maybe lost....certainly loved. Would you like to know that your lost pet may be in a lab, having a new perfume sprayed in their eyes as a test animal? Yeah, it's my own personal pitch for people to demand and support no-kill shelters...I work at one, and they keep these animals until homes are found, or owners come to reclaim them. They also offer discount vet services, and spay, neuter, worm and computer-chip all the animals. Anyone who has a pet runs the risk of that pet getting out and running away. Most shelters kill the animals after three days to a week. With a no-kill, you have more of a chance of getting your pet back, and adopting animals is a lot harder...they make sure people have adequate room and safe yards, and make people fill out a form promising to bring the animal back if they decide they don't want it. They even reserve the right to check your income, and to refuse adoptions if they think you're not suitable. Now THAT'S animal activism one can be proud to be a part of.

Someday I want to be rich. Some people get so rich they lose all respect for humanity. That's how rich I want to be.
-Rita Rudner

Lady Sidhe is offline   Reply With Quote