The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Home Base
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Home Base A starting point, and place for threads don't seem to belong anywhere else

Old 11-06-2003, 05:51 PM   #1
lumberjim
I can hear my ears

business networking

would it be an acceptable use of this forum to provide assistance with things we specialize in at work? ie...if there are plumbers on here and I have a question, i could look through, find a plumber and ask questions? Does this already exist? anyone opposed to this?

Might be useful....

....and no, I'm not setting you up to sell you anything!

Lumberjim
lumberjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2003, 06:55 PM   #2
lumberjim
I can hear my ears

ok, i see people reading, but no replies. I'll go 1st

CAR BUSINESS ............. LUMBERJIM

I am a finance manager at a Jeep dealer in SE Pa....I can help with advice about interest rates, warranties, and general car buying tips.

how bout you?
Old 11-06-2003, 10:40 PM   #3
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

Everybody knows me already: I do web stuff. Of every kind.
Undertoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2003, 10:43 PM   #4
wolf
lobber of scimitars

I commit people.

"Conspiracies are the norm, not the exception." --G. Edward Griffin The Creature from Jekyll Island

High Priestess of the Church of the Whale Penis
wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2003, 11:21 PM   #5
Elspode
When Do I Get Virtual Unreality?

Damn...here, I was hoping to avail myself of Wolf's services, and then she reminds me that she does what my wife used to do...

I have been the office manager of roofing companies for 13 years. My skillset includes most areas of commercial roofing, and extensive experience with virtually every aspect of Federal, local and state regulation of construction and all that entails, right down to specing office technology and human resources and everything in-between.

Someone, for the love of the Gods, please give me a job...
Old 11-07-2003, 01:16 AM   #6
slang
St Petersburg, Florida

I sit up all night reading the cellar and eating fatty food.
slang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2003, 03:21 AM   #7
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

I wish the internet had been around 40 years ago when I knew everything.
Old 11-07-2003, 04:05 AM   #8
insoluble
developmentally disabled rear end headwear

I am an EMT - so if you have some sort of life threatening emergency, you could post the situation and I could get back to you within a week or 2.
insoluble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2003, 06:26 AM   #9
Griff
still says videotape

I know very little about many many things, so if you want just enough info to get in over your head...
Old 11-07-2003, 08:28 AM   #10
Dagney
The Prodigal Brat Returneth

I'm a technical support drone, with an extensive working knowledge of Medical Assistance, HIPAA, and the ability to spell 'w'.

Oh, and people think I'm a bitch because I make them do their jobs themselves.

Dagney

Dagney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2003, 10:28 AM   #11
breakingnews
Q_Q

I'm a nosey newspaper reporter, so be careful about what you post. Affairs with married women and advice on cheating the IRS might **somehow** land you on the front page of my very, very yellow newspaper.

Of course, if any of you pick up on interesting business news in the Philly or Bucks County areas, keep me posted. A few good story ideas have come from the cellar already - I'd like to keep that trend up.
breakingnews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2003, 10:47 AM   #12
dave

I'm a wage slave at a very large corporation. I do software. If you need help with Perl/ksh/bash, I can probably help you. If you need help with C/C++/Java, I haven't done that in so freaking long that I might be able to help you, but I'll probably need to consult a book or a co-worker. If you need help with Visual Basic, I can help you, but you probably need to help yourself too.

I'm pretty good at basically everything to do with computers, but I really really *really* probably don't want to help you. Why? Because everyone asks me for help, and after doing the same thing for seven or eight years, one can get quite tired of it. Well, I'm real tired of diagnosing DUN issues on Windows 95B, so please... ask SteveDallas instead.
Old 11-07-2003, 11:04 AM   #13
lumberjim
I can hear my ears

that's the spirit
Old 11-07-2003, 11:20 AM   #14
hot_pastrami
I am meaty

I'm an odd jobs software man for a largish entity. If you need help with Java, Perl, PHP, any variety of HTML, Javascript, XML, XSLT, SQL or InstallShield, I may be able to help. I also have a lot of experience with software interface desgin, and graphics. Additionally, I've done a fair share of technical writing. Oh, and I've developed websites for the blind.

I worked as a PC repair guy for years, and I still hobby around with that stuff occasionally, so I may be able to help with computer hardware/software woes. I spent a while as a manager of group of support technicians, so if you're a supervisor having a problem with one of your underlings, my advice may not be totally worthless to you, but your milage may vary.

I have spotty knowledge on automobile repair, mostly confined to things I have had to learn to repair on my own over the years. This is also true of around-the-home repairs. Again, your milage may vary.

I've been doing ametuer (digital) photography for awhile, as well as photo retouching and modification, with surprising success. I've also done some heavy photo restoration.

Oh, I also shit rose petals.
Old 11-07-2003, 11:26 AM   #15
SteveDallas
Your Bartender

Quote:
Originally posted by dave
Why? Because everyone asks me for help, and after doing the same thing for seven or eight years, one can get quite tired of it. Well, I'm real tired of diagnosing DUN issues on Windows 95B, so please... ask SteveDallas instead.
The hell you say... what did I ever do to you??

I'm a jack of all IT trades, master of none at a miniscule institution of higher education. I've done a little bit of everything, but I'm strongest in networking and systems administration. Although I'm candidly forced to admit that my administrative duties are causing my once-impressive technical skills to atrophy.
SteveDallas is offline   Reply With Quote