The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Home Base
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Home Base A starting point, and place for threads don't seem to belong anywhere else

Old 04-28-2004, 02:50 PM   #16
jaguar
whig

Quote:
Myself, my brother and my ex run a small company which designs, has manufactured and then markets a range of cannabis pipes ) They sell all over the world and we once got invited to send a member as a judge on the Cannabis Cup contest in Amsterdam
oh........soo.....envious........so....not....fairARGHHH *head explodes*.

Quote:
I remember the moment I first realized a teacher was stupid. It was in first grade, we were learning about rounding, and someone asked whether the number 5 would round up or down, since it was in the middle. She paused for a long time and then declared, "Scientists haven't decided that yet."
I remember in grade 6 (last year of primary) the teacher went off at me (yelling, muchos not-very-nice-things) because she went though this long list of stuff we had to do and I'd already done all of it. That and 'hacking' the school network, it was macs, there was an open network drive, I had a look around.

People that assume kids are stupid should not go into teaching. Thankfully aus has a network of schools where they lock up all the smartasses so that we don't don't cause stupid teachers to blow capillaries.
Old 04-28-2004, 02:56 PM   #17
DanaC
We have to go back, Kate!

There was a time I wanted to be a teacher, but I got distracted early by a heady mix of politics, drugs and telephone sales
DanaC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2004, 03:13 PM   #18
richlevy
King Of Wishful Thinking

I do remember going into a go-go bar in Atlantic City. The bouncer was doubling as a massuer for the working girls.

I think the job I would really like is as a professional book reader for books on tape. As long as I got to choose the books.

If I were born 100 years later, I would have like these jobs.

Lunar Hotel Manager.

Running the human powered glider concession on the moon. In 1/8th gravity and with normal air pressure, human powered flight is possible.

Extraterrestrial ambassador.

Asteroid miner.
I have always believed that hope is that stubborn thing inside us that insists, despite all the evidence to the contrary, that something better awaits us so long as we have the courage to keep reaching, to keep working, to keep fighting. -- Barack Hussein Obama
richlevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2004, 03:16 PM   #19
jaguar
whig

part of me always wanted to get into the spy game/covert warefare.
For a while I used to check the CIA page in terms of what they were interested in.
Old 04-28-2004, 07:35 PM   #20
BrianR
Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult

I have always wanted to be a veterinarian.

I can't because I suck at science and biology in particular and could not bring myself to euthanize healthy, unwanted animals.

But I still wanna.
Old 04-28-2004, 08:30 PM   #21
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

I thought I wanted to be a high powered executive, but I've decided I only want the pay.
Old 04-29-2004, 12:01 AM   #22
Elspode
When Do I Get Virtual Unreality?

I've said it before on The Cellar, and I'll say it again...

If I knew then what I know now, I would have gone to the MU School of Journalism 100% paid for by my grandmother so that I would now be a respected and envied author of critical review pieces instead of a fucking corporate drone in the construction business.

Somehow, a well-composed business letter doesn't have the same sense of satisfaction that having your art gallery review published in The New Yorker would.
Old 04-29-2004, 03:50 AM   #23
DanaC
We have to go back, Kate!

Quote:
If I knew then what I know now, I would have gone to the MU School of Journalism 100% paid for by my grandmother so that I would now be a respected and envied author of critical review pieces instead of a fucking corporate drone in the construction business.
Ouch. That'll be that 20/20 hindsight *sympathetic smile*
DanaC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2004, 04:59 AM   #24
Catwoman
stalking a Tom

I've always kinda wanted to be a fluffer.
Old 04-29-2004, 08:18 AM   #25
TheLorax
Keeper of the Decorum

Elspode – So what is stopping you from pursuing that? Not to go all Fight Club, but it sounds reasonable whereas my dream of being a pirate is a bit more outside the bounds of what is legally and socially accepted.
Old 04-29-2004, 10:56 AM   #26
smoothmoniker
to live and die in LA

Quote:
Originally posted by Catwoman
I've always kinda wanted to be a fluffer.
What, like pillows and stuff? Would you work retail for Linen-N-Things, or for a magazine like Country Living? It sounds like fun! That's the sort of thing your could practice around the house, as long as you have a good friend to give you tips, evaluate your work. In fact, if you let people know that you're getting into fluffing, you'd get alot of calls from people inviting you over to their houses to show them how to fluff!

Live the dream, Catwoman. Live the dream.
-sm
smoothmoniker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2004, 11:11 AM   #27
Catwoman
stalking a Tom

Quote:
Originally posted by smoothmoniker

What, like pillows and stuff? Would you work retail for Linen-N-Things, or for a magazine like Country Living? It sounds like fun! That's the sort of thing your could practice around the house, as long as you have a good friend to give you tips, evaluate your work. In fact, if you let people know that you're getting into fluffing, you'd get alot of calls from people inviting you over to their houses to show them how to fluff!

Live the dream, Catwoman. Live the dream.
-sm

There's a production company called Liquid Gold who are advertising at the moment (think they must do luxury pillows), and yes, many of my closer friends have already offered their assistance for 'training purposes'. I am amazed by the level of support I have received from friends and family alike
I've heard it's quite hard to get into so wish me luck.
Old 04-29-2004, 11:21 AM   #28
warch
lurkin old school

Finding locales and setting spaces/props in movies. Is this the "Production Assistant"? I think that would be fun if the director/producer was not evil.
Or maybe I would just direct and produce as well. Solve that.

Following up on the cruise idea- wasnt there a rash (!) of aggresive viral outbreaks killing off numbers of elderly cruisers not too long ago? Kinda "Legionaires at Sea"? That doesnt sound fun. A big floating petri dish.
warch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2004, 11:47 AM   #29
BryanD
Rouser of rabble

locate, recover, restore and then sell old airplanes (WW2 vintage).
BryanD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2004, 12:36 PM   #30
mrnoodle
bent

I've always wanted to be a cat burglar. The kind that takes rare diamonds out of heavily guarded display cases without being seen. But I hate people who do bad things to the innocent, so there has to be some kind of morality clause. Like only stealing from drug dealers. Or doing it for the government, James-Bond-style.

Assuming the government in question is morally above reproach, like the US.