The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Arts & Entertainment
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Arts & Entertainment Give meaning to your life or distract you from it for a while

Old 02-20-2004, 10:53 AM   #16
lumberjim
I can hear my ears

Quote:
Originally posted by Undertoad
And BTW, itsaboutmusic.com is a client of mine. This is exactly what you describe LJ. The bands pay to be on it but it's both a showcase and an official online store for acts, taking care of a lot of the BS. (We're working on a download store)
drat. another idea stolen before i ever thought of it. did you now that shelby and i dreamed of creating internet cafe's in the early nineties before they became reality?
lumberjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2004, 10:54 AM   #17
BryanD
Rouser of rabble

Quote:
Originally posted by lumberjim
Is it wrong for you to lend your neighbor the hedge clipper, when the manufacturer could have sold him one? are you cheating them? I think that as long as you are not turning a profit from the use of a product you have purchased that competes with the sales of the same product, you've done no real wrong.
[/b]
Not that I'm a big fan of RIAA or the whole music organization, but the DIFFERENCE is, only one of you is using the hedge trimmers at a time. If I load a friend my copy of Dark Side of the Moon, then while he's playing it, I am not. If I burn him a copy, then it's entirely possible that while I'm using it, he is as well.

Get it?
BryanD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2004, 11:14 AM   #18
novice
Ignorance is bliss and I'm orgasmic

Yeah, do ya get it
Anyway's, as you just discovered somebody jumped the gun on your idea, I had a similar experience.
I fantasised about creating a single wheel motorcycle. The type where you sit inside the wheel. Imagine my disgust when I happened upon it on the net, not as an idea but a fully worked up prototype.

Here's my "get it" analogy. If I loan my neighbour my hedge trimmer he/she's unlikely to clone it.

Last edited by novice; 02-20-2004 at 11:17 AM.
novice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2004, 11:20 AM   #19
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

...And then comically used in a South Park episode!
Undertoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2004, 11:28 AM   #20
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

And actually LJ, if you guys pay me to develop the site, you can have the idea too. There's nothing outrageously difficult about it - it just takes time to put together.
Undertoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2004, 11:32 AM   #21
novice
Ignorance is bliss and I'm orgasmic

Quote:
Originally posted by Undertoad
...And then comically used in a South Park episode!
That particular model was a little more...ah.. elaborate than mine.
novice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2004, 12:28 PM   #22
Elspode
When Do I Get Virtual Unreality?

Quote:
Originally posted by juju
Who. The - Teenage Wasteland.mp3
There is no such Who song...it is titled "Baba O'Reilly"...

Sorry...I'm a Who purist. That being said, this was funny.
Old 02-20-2004, 12:36 PM   #23
Beestie
-◊|≡·∙■·∙≡|◊-

Count me in. Yet another good idea by Lj

Maybe this will be the incentive I need to convert my vinyl to bits and bytes.

Oh, and on a related note, some lady in NJ is suing the RIAA under the RICO statutes. WoooHooo!!
Old 02-20-2004, 12:59 PM   #24
dar512
dar512 is now Pete Zicato

Quote:

and dar512, if that is your real name, ...
No, it's not my real name. 'undertoad', 'wolf', 'jinx', and 'lumberjim' - those are real names. dar512 is the handle I use in a number of places on the internet. 'dar' comes from my initials. 512 is one of those magic numbers in programming since it's a power of 2.

Feel free to call me dar if you like.

Quote:

...since you have taken the position of morality cop on this particular thread...
No cop involved. I'm just expressing my opinion. Ethics and morality are topics that come up on the cellar on a regular basis. The ethics and morality of intellectual property are difficult to begin with. Plus, it is easier to assuage one's conscience when stealing something that is invisible and untouchable. That doesn't mean it shouldn't be discussed.

Quote:
what is your morality radar telling you about the borrowing of said cds? Is it wrong for you to lend your neighbor the hedge clipper, when the manufacturer could have sold him one? are you cheating them? I think that as long as you are not turning a profit from the use of a product you have purchased that competes with the sales of the same product, you've done no real wrong.
Intellectual property (IP) is different from physical property. If you loan your friend a clipper, you can't use it while he has it, can you? With IP like a CD, you are not really loaning the CD, you are loaning the rights to the performance. If you loan a CD to a friend, you don't have the right to the performance while he has it.

So to answer your question - if you loan a cd, song, whatever to someone and you don't listen to the cd, song, whatever while it's gone, I think that is ethically moral. The RIAA might still hassle you about it, but I wouldn't.

If you make a copy of the cd before loaning it, and you both listen to it during that same period, then that's wrong.

Quote:
this is enough time for us to sample the music contained therein, and if we like it we can take our lovely money down to the record store and pay the 19.99 for a cd we really only know that we like one song from,so that the authors of said cd can earn their $.37 which is their legal and "rightful share" after all of the fucking money grubbing machinery of the record industry has picked over the carcass of the band's work. hmmmpfh!
There's no doubt in my mind that major labels have a veritable monopoly. That doesn't give us the excuse to also be immoral.

I think you can work this ethically, if people are willing to put away the cds that the music originally came from while their favorites collection is out on loan.
dar512 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2004, 01:00 PM   #25
juju
no one of consequence

Quote:
Originally posted by Elspode
There is no such Who song...it is titled "Baba O'Reilly"...
Yeah... that's unfortunately a price of doing business on the networks. People are stupid sometimes.

Quote:
oh, and by the way, juju, i hope to christ that you had that song list somewhere that you were able to cut and paste it. damn. too much for me to read.
Of course I didn't type it all out. I just did:<blockquote>ls --color=never /cdrom > ~/foo
kate ~/foo
</blockquote>And then I copy-and-pasted. Simple.
juju is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2004, 01:07 PM   #26
blue
Operations Operative

FWIW, on a couple of drunken weekends recently I ripped 130ish cds (I owned them all, mostly 80s stuff I used to buy), d/l track info and ftp'd em to a modified XBOX...it sucked but I now have 1700+ tracks on that bad boy along with all my home video and a few thousund digital/scanned photos....all a few game controller button clicks away.

I would highly recomend this to anyone interested, cost me $120 for a used XBOX, $80 for a 120G hard drive, lots of research time and a case of beer last Halloween.
Old 02-20-2004, 01:10 PM   #27
jinx
Come on, cat.

so if we made only one best of cd, and it circulated around to the people who were interested in it, and reserved it, we would not be able to listen to it simultaneously, right? what if we happen to hear one of the songs on the radio?????

i have better taste in music than jim does, btw.
jinx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2004, 01:23 PM   #28
Beestie
-◊|≡·∙■·∙≡|◊-

Quote:
i have better taste in music than jim does, btw.
But poorer taste in spouses.

sorry, couldn't resist.
Old 02-20-2004, 01:28 PM   #29
kerosene
Touring the facilities

Anyone have any darker trance type music?

I will look through our collection also, and put out a list of possibilities.
kerosene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2004, 01:29 PM   #30
Beestie
-◊|≡·∙■·∙≡|◊-

Quote:
Anyone have any darker trance type music?
I do. House/Techno/Industrial too.