The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Current Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Current Events Help understand the world by talking about things happening in it

Old 05-25-2004, 12:52 PM   #91
jaguar
whig

I should illustrate this with a similar incident.
My old high school had a tradition of sorts of tieing the `goose`, an unfortunate member of a lower year level that rotated daily whose job it was to bring round the role to a pole in one of the rooms with industrial strength glad wrap one the last day of their last term. One year they left the guy for a couple of hours and he had a chest problem, he came close to dieing, yea, great fucking joke that was.
Old 05-25-2004, 12:57 PM   #92
Radar
Constitutional Scholar

Quote:
If you say something isn't a rights issue, and has nothing to do with rights, then you are indeed saying that it isn't an infringement of his rights.
No, I'm not saying it's not an infringement of rights. I'm saying it's such a small infringement, it's not even worth noting. Nobody has the right to touch you but if someone bumps into you on a crowded street, are you going to call the cops? Jay Walking is against the law, but if someone does it, should they call out the SWAT teams?

Quote:
Are familiar with the phrase "to throw the book at someone", I extended it, I did not imply they should be beaten, please stop using a straw man. Ditto for the water baloon.
The water baloon example is by no means a straw man. It's a concrete and clear example of what we're talking about here. Someone making a big deal out of NOTHING. As far as the "throw the book at them" thing, you can blame your own poor writing skills.

Quote:
The line between a prank and malice is a dangerously thin one, if someone TPd your house you might think it`s a harmless prank but if they drop a molotov on your lawn you might think differently, if you don`t teach people to respect the rights and property of others from the start, they only get worse until they get pulled up.
And in this case it wasn't even as bad as the TP let alone the molotov cocktail. It was the no worse than taping a "kick me" sign on someone's back.

Quote:
If you can`t understand that you do not hae the right to lay your hands on another person you deserved to be pulled up on it fast and hard.
If you can't understand the difference between violent crime and completely harmless and funny prank such as taping your teacher to a chair, you have no common sense or understanding of the word "justice". You're beyond stupid.

Quote:
One year they left the guy for a couple of hours and he had a chest problem, he came close to dieing, yea, great fucking joke that was.
Someone should have called the whaa-mbulance!
Old 05-25-2004, 01:02 PM   #93
jaguar
whig

Quote:
I think this is a good summary, near death of a student over a stupid prank and well, clearly they`re overreacting. I put radar on block a long time ago, not sure why I took it off but it`s going back on, I have better things to do with my time.
Old 05-25-2004, 01:02 PM   #94
Pi
desperate finder

I always thought that a teacher is a person of respect and authority. I think it's dangerous to mine the authority of a teacher by taping him to a chair...
But it also depends on the relationship between the teacher and these students, the fact that this act is maybe a tradition and what was behind the whole think. If it's only a joke, it shouldn't be build up to a big story but otherwise I think it should be punished but maybe an internal punishment of the school.
but that's only my opinion
Old 05-25-2004, 01:05 PM   #95
Radar
Constitutional Scholar

Quote:
I put radar on block a long time ago, not sure why I took it off but it`s going back on, I have better things to do with my time.
That's the best idea you've ever had. You won't reply to my posts with your ignorant crap. I should put you on block too. The collective IQ of the entire board will increase dramatically.
Old 05-25-2004, 01:14 PM   #96
OnyxCougar
Junior Master Dwellar

Quote:
Originally posted by Radar

So you're saying that it's ok to play a"prank", even if it takes someone's life.

Impotentes defendere libertatem non possunt.

"Repetition does not transform a lie into a truth."
~Franklin D. Roosevelt
OnyxCougar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2004, 01:35 PM   #97
Radar
Constitutional Scholar

No, I'm saying the people who pulled the prank had no way of knowing the condition of the person they were pulling the prank on and I'd be willing to bet that the target of the prank didn't tell them. If you throw a surprise birthday party for your great grandfather and he walks into a room and you shout "SURPRISE!" and he keels over dead of a heart attack. Should you go to jail? Of course not. You had no intention of harming him. The same is true of the guys taping thier teacher to a chair. Everything suggests they had no intention of harming the teacher, and were only performing a totally and completely harmless prank that they expected the teacher to go along with as most people would.

At my school we'd contact the parents of certain kids and let them know we were going to "kidnap" them, and the parents wouldn't let them know about it. The parents would let us sneak in at night put a pillow case over their head, tie them up, put them in the trunk of the car, and take them with us somewhere to do silly things to them. It was all in fun, and the person who was kidnapped always went along with the prank. The cops weren't notified, and all had fun. Is it frightening to be woken up in the middle of the night, have a bad thrown over your head, then to be tied up, put into the trunk of a car and taken somewhere without knowing who is doing it or where you're going? Yes. But when the hood comes off and they see it's just the people they know, they are ok with it and cooperate with the prank as any well-adjusted non-psycho would do. For instance there was a hardware place with a toilet on thier sign and we made one girl sit on the toilet seat and wave to passing traffic.

What if some kid did have a heart condition? Normally something like this would be well known, and if it wasn't and someone happened to have a problem, those who tied them up would set them free and get them help as I'm sure the kids would do with the teacher.

I'm astounded by the utter ignorance, and lack of common sense among many of you. I've seen some pretty stupid people out there, but a blithering idiot like jaguar is very rare.

Last edited by Radar; 05-25-2004 at 01:37 PM.
Radar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2004, 01:48 PM   #98
BryanD
Rouser of rabble

Quote:
[b]No matter what you say or how you try to twist the truth tying someone to a chair is NOT an assault and is not taking someone "hostage".
No, it's not Assault, it's battery, and still illegal. See definition

It is possible it's not even the teacher's decision on whether or not press charges. Given that battery on a teacher is alleged, other statutes in place to protect teachers may have fired to force an arrest.

edit : correction
further correction : It may not be assault, but it is definately battery.

Last edited by BryanD; 05-25-2004 at 02:08 PM.
BryanD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2004, 02:09 PM   #99
Radar
Constitutional Scholar

By your definition bumping into someone on a crowded sidewalk is also battery. So what. Is calling it battery somehow supposed to make this harmless prank any more scary or evil? Because it doesn't.
Old 05-25-2004, 02:26 PM   #100
BryanD
Rouser of rabble

Quote:
By your definition bumping into someone on a crowded sidewalk is also battery.
Yup - it's battery. It is up the the "battered" individual to decide whether to press charges. Most of the time, they decline.

Quote:
Is calling it battery somehow supposed to make this harmless prank any more scary or evil? Because it doesn't.
I didnt say scary or evil. I said illegal. The response to scary or evil is "Eek! Kill it!". The response to illegal is usually arrest. In that case (as shown above) it is often up to the offended to decide whether arrest occurs. In this particular instance, the prevailing statutes may have dictated that decision.
BryanD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2004, 03:09 PM   #101
Pi
desperate finder

Quote:
At my school we'd contact the parents of certain kids and let them know we were going to "kidnap" them, and the parents wouldn't let them know about it. The parents would let us sneak in at night put a pillow case over their head, tie them up, put them in the trunk of the car, and take them with us somewhere to do silly things to them. It was all in fun, and the person who was kidnapped always went along with the prank. The cops weren't notified, and all had fun. Is it frightening to be woken up in the middle of the night, have a bad thrown over your head, then to be tied up, put into the trunk of a car and taken somewhere without knowing who is doing it or where you're going?
Now that's sick and I can't imagine that anyone can approve this. What do you know about child psychology? You can never know in which way an incident like this can influence the psyche of a child...
Old 05-25-2004, 03:17 PM   #102
perth
Strong Silent Type

Quote:
Originally posted by Pi
What do you know about child psychology?
Everything.

C'mon, this is Radar we're talking about here. He knows fucking everything. I don't get why you people still argue with him when you know full well that he's THE SMARTEST MAN ALIVE!
perth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2004, 03:22 PM   #103
Pi
desperate finder

Uppps... sorry maybe I have to check in more often... Thanks perth, that part was unknown to me.
Old 05-25-2004, 03:28 PM   #104
perth
Strong Silent Type

No problem Pi.
perth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2004, 03:43 PM   #105
ladysycamore
"I may not always be perfect, but I'm always me."

Hrm...parents actually ALLOWING kids to come into their home and fake kidnap their child...sounds pretty sick.

I would ask "but why", but somehow, I already know.

"The Akan concept of Sankofa: In order to move forward we first have to take a step back. In other words, before we can be prepared for the future, we must comprehend the past." From "We Did It, They Hid It"
ladysycamore is offline   Reply With Quote