The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Images > Image of the Day

Image of the Day Images that will blow your mind - every day. [Blog] [RSS] [XML]

Old 01-25-2017, 10:34 PM   #1
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Jan 26th, 2017: Fred and Myrtle’s Shell House

You know, Fred and Myrtle, you must remember them... unless you're not from New Zealand.
Quote:
Back in the 1960s when the Flutey’s were living in Bluff – a tiny town of around 1,850 residents in the
lowest corner of the South Island of New Zealand. At that time Fred was working at the harbour and
would collect Pāua shells for manufacturers and returned servicemen. After getting rid of what he could,
Fred then cleaned up the unwanted shells and took them home to add to the growing pile in the couple’s
living room.

Now Myrtle was an understand wife, appreciating the beauty and Fred's hard work, but she was still a woman,
and the housekeeper. When moving all this crap to clean got to be too much, instead of freaking out on Fred
to get this crap out of the house, she took a box of 4" nails and started nailing them to the walls.

Before long folks started dropping by to see the display. I grew up in a town that size and believe me,
everyone knew about it. Then the word spread and people started coming from further away. Fred and Myrtle
loved having company and showing off the house. Myrtle started getting up at six AM to have the house
spick & span by 9. Of course politicians, the tourist board and celebrities wanted to be associated with such
popular people, which increased their fame even more.

Fred passed away in 2001, (Myrtle preceded him, probably from overwork), and the house went to a Grandson
who didn't want the hassle of keeping the house open but didn't want to see the collection broken up.
His solution, which didn't set well with some locals, was to donate the collection to the Museum of Canterbury
which was hundreds of miles away.
To their credit the museum duplicated much of the house.

Quote:
More than 4000 original items were taken from the house to include in the exhibit including the carpet,
a Lions Club Banner which hung over the doorway, the house number from the outside fence, and the
large concrete Pāua shell which stood in the centre of the lounge.

Link
I spent way too much time on this but I liked the story.
Old 01-25-2017, 10:36 PM   #2
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Quote:
Originally Posted by xoxoxoBruce View Post
You know, Fred and Myrtle, you must remember them... unless you're not from New Zealand.

Now Myrtle was an understand wife, appreciating the beauty and Fred's hard work, but she was still a woman, and the housekeeper. When moving all this crap to clean got to be too much, instead of freaking out on Fred to get this crap out of the house, she took a box of 4" nails and started nailing them to the walls.

Before long folks started dropping by to see the display. I grew up in a town that size and believe me, everyone knew about it. Then the word spread and people started coming from further away. Fred and Myrtle loved having company and showing off the house. Myrtle started getting up at six AM to have the house spick & span by 9. Of course politicians, the tourist board and celebrities wanted to be associated with such popular people, which increased their fame even more.

Fred passed away in 2001, (Myrtle preceded him, probably from overwork), and the house went to a Grandson who didn't want the hassle of keeping the house open but didn't want to see the collection broken up.His solution, which didn't set well with some locals, was to donate the collection to the Museum of Canterbury which was hundreds of miles away.
To their credit the museum duplicated much of the house.

Quote:
More than 4000 original items were taken from the house to include in the exhibit including the carpet, a Lions Club Banner which hung over the doorway, the house number from the outside fence, and the large concrete Pāua shell which stood in the centre of the lounge.

Link
I spent way too much time on this but I liked the story.
Old 01-26-2017, 07:25 AM   #3
Snakeadelic
Banned

Considering that a complete, polished paua shell like those can go for $25 at a scrawny, undergrown 4-5" across its longest dimension, I can only hope the museum paid at least half what those enormous antiques are worth! Seriously--paua is uniquely vivid (the color isn't from dyes) among abalone species, collection is now tightly controlled, I think most of what's on the market is farmed, and those pictured include some HUGE specimens that look to be 10-12" at their longest dimension! Good thing Fred & Myrtle missed the huge interest & commensurate price surge, or that collection would've been parted out years ago.
Snakeadelic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2017, 08:01 AM   #4
classicman
barely disguised asshole, keeper of all that is holy.

Damn, those are gorgeous!
Old 01-26-2017, 08:42 AM   #5
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snakeadelic View Post
... I can only hope the museum paid at least half what those enormous antiques are worth!
I don't believe they paid anything for the collection, however, they went to considerable trouble and expense to create the permanent exhibit and satisfy the donor.
Old 01-26-2017, 12:48 PM   #6
Gravdigr
The Un-Tuckian

A story so nice, he posted it twice.

These statements have not been evaluated by the FDA, EPA, FBI, DEA, CDC, or FDIC. These statements are not intended to diagnose, cause, treat, cure, or prevent any disease. If you feel you have been harmed/offended by, or, disagree with any of the above statements or images, please feel free to fuck right off.
Gravdigr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2017, 01:01 PM   #7
blueboy56
Master Locutor

Hm.. Maybe I could do something similar with my collection of coffee mugs.
blueboy56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2017, 04:17 PM   #8
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gravdigr View Post
A story so nice, he posted it twice.
What? Oh fuck. I set it up and previewed, but when I posted it the spacing was screwed up, so I edited it. At least I thought I edited it, didn't notice I duplicated it. Just read the second one.
Oh well, it was 11:30 and I'd been working on it for two and a half hours, so you're lucky it wasn't later because it might have been unreadable.
I sure Fred and Myrtle would get a chuckle out of my dundering.
Old 01-26-2017, 04:27 PM   #9
Gravdigr
The Un-Tuckian

Ol' Fred, he sold sea shells by the sea shore.

These statements have not been evaluated by the FDA, EPA, FBI, DEA, CDC, or FDIC. These statements are not intended to diagnose, cause, treat, cure, or prevent any disease. If you feel you have been harmed/offended by, or, disagree with any of the above statements or images, please feel free to fuck right off.
Gravdigr is offline   Reply With Quote