The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Politics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Politics Where we learn not to think less of others who don't share our views

Old 08-18-2004, 02:42 PM   #211
garnet

Quote:
Originally Posted by glatt
He would probably be disciplined if a supervisor saw him intentionally damaging the product by beating the pigs.
I'm not going to beat this to death (no pun intended) but one of the guys in the video WAS a supervisor. In the recent undercover KFC video, supervisors were involved as well--fact 8 hourly employees and 3 SUPERVISORS were fired because of the videotape. If the supervisors are participating, who are you going to report it to? Like I said--you can believe whatever you want. These people don't care. They work low-paying jobs in horrible conditions. They don't care if the pigs get bruised--it doesn't affect their paycheck. Abuse on factory farms is very prevalent from my experience, and from talking to people who've worked there. But hey, you can believe whatever you want. It's a free country, and you can eat ham for every meal if you want. That's your decision.

Last edited by garnet; 08-18-2004 at 05:50 PM.
garnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2004, 02:46 PM   #212
Happy Monkey
I think this line's mostly filler.

Quote:
He would probably be disciplined if a supervisor saw him intentionally damaging the product by beating the pigs. That would be like a line worker at GM smashing the windshields as the cars rolled down the line. A company would never go for that.
Meat isn't glass. Abusing an animal before killing it has negligable effect on the product, especially if it's destined for some sort of processed meat.
|_______________| [pics]
Happy Monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2004, 02:54 PM   #213
glatt

Then those 3 supervisors were obviously bad supervisors. The fact that they were fired shows that the company thought so too. I don't know anything about this incident, just what was in the video, and what you are telling me.

But I do know this: It's all about money. Maybe the company can make more money by hiring bad employees for low wages and then just writing off the meat they ruin. But I doubt it. I imagine the management of the company doesn't want the pigs to be beaten. It's thier source of revenue. Maybe this company is having management/supervisory problems.

I admit that nobody there cares about the animals. They just care about the money.
glatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2004, 03:11 PM   #214
Troubleshooter
The urban Jane Goodall

Quote:
Originally Posted by garnet
I could make the same argument about the Rodney King tape.
You may want to pick a slightly less contentious analog...
Old 08-18-2004, 03:37 PM   #215
garnet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Troubleshooter
You may want to pick a slightly less contentious analog...
Why?

I'm just using it to make the point that both the PETA video and the Rodney King video were only a few minutes long and both were edited for length. They both showed actual crimes taking place. I'm not making any comment about Rodney King or what is on that video.
Old 08-18-2004, 04:40 PM   #216
Trilby
Slattern of the Swail

Quote:
. These are low-paid workers, and they simply don't care if the meat ends up "bruised." That's not their problem.
besides being low-paid workers they seem to be sociopaths in the making. I don't understand the wisdom of allowing an hourly worker to waste time/money by beating a sow for an hour. The people who would do something like that--beat an animal for an hour--are seriously depraved individuals. I wouldn't want to sit next to any of those winners.

The man who sodomized the pig with a stick--OK, how sick is he??
Trilby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2004, 06:15 PM   #217
Troubleshooter
The urban Jane Goodall

Quote:
Why?

I'm just using it to make the point that both the PETA video and the Rodney King video were only a few minutes long and both were edited for length. They both showed actual crimes taking place. I'm not making any comment about Rodney King or what is on that video.
I was only mentioning contentiousness, not inerrancy.

The funny thing about the RK video is what got left out, everything before the clips you saw on television. Also the whole video is cool until one ignorent monkey broke procedure and kicked the guy in the head.
Old 08-18-2004, 06:20 PM   #218
garnet

Quote:
Also the whole video is cool until one ignorent monkey broke procedure and kicked the guy in the head.
"Cool"? I'm not exactly sure what's so "cool" about that video...
Old 08-18-2004, 06:26 PM   #219
Troubleshooter
The urban Jane Goodall

Quote:
"Cool"? I'm not exactly sure what's so "cool" about that video...
Not cool, as in let's do it again, but cool in that it passed procedural guidelines and did not violate his rights...

...until the dumbass with the bright idea to kick RK in the head did so.
Old 08-18-2004, 06:37 PM   #220
garnet

Quote:
...until the dumbass with the bright idea to kick RK in the head did so.
Wasn't there a little more than a kick in the head involved? I remember billy clubs, fists and whole helluva lot of kicks in the head. And parts of the video may be "procedurally correct" but the person making that call isn't the guy being taken down by six pissed off, armed cops.
Old 08-18-2004, 06:44 PM   #221
Troubleshooter
The urban Jane Goodall

Quote:
Wasn't there a little more than a kick in the head involved? I remember billy clubs, fists and whole helluva lot of kicks in the head. And parts of the video may be "procedurally correct" but the person making that call isn't the guy being taken down by six pissed off, armed cops.
True enough, but it was a legal takedown until he was successfully restrained. After that any contact should be only to move him. Any abuse after that should be prosecuted soundly.
Old 08-18-2004, 08:04 PM   #222
elSicomoro
Person who doesn't update the user title

Quote:
And you're using hunting magazines as sources? Nice! All the sources I used were newspapers, wire services and tv stations. How come you can't come up with anything from sources like those? Makes one wonder....
Makes one wonder what? Wire services, newspapers and TV stations aren't necessarily good sources.
elSicomoro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2004, 09:32 PM   #223
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Quote:
BIG SNIP-- Those workers are sociopathic. I would keep my eye on them if I were the local cops. ---BIG SNIP
Sociopathic? Well, they are professional killers.

disclaimer- No I don't approve of their behavior. Yes they should be prosecuted.
Old 08-19-2004, 12:10 AM   #224
wolf
lobber of scimitars

Quote:
Yes, eventually there was more than a kick in the head involved. However, if you have seen the WHOLE video, then you also see what Rodney King did that required the police to take him down.

The Video

After a vehicle chase.

Some additional context.

There is MUCH more to that tape that the few seconds that were shown over and over and over again on the news.

"Conspiracies are the norm, not the exception." --G. Edward Griffin The Creature from Jekyll Island

High Priestess of the Church of the Whale Penis
wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2004, 07:19 AM   #225
Cyber Wolf
As stable as a ring of PU-239

Location: On a huge rock covered in water, highly advanced moss and 7 billion parasites
Quote:
Originally Posted by wolf
There is MUCH more to that tape that the few seconds that were shown over and over and over again on the news.
Cuz that's all the public on the whole is interested in. Also it makes for a great story "Black Man Beaten Near Senseless By White Cops". If I remember, there wasn't a whole lot of WHY in the coverage of the story. Just lots of WHO, WHAT, WHEN and WHERE. The standard news broadcast fills a 30 minute slot, half of which is taken by weather, sports, special interest (local pet adoptions, kid wins spelling bee, just LOOK at that sunset, Diane! Indeed it's lovely out there this evening...). In the 10 or so minutes left, after commercials take a chunk of time out, they need to squeeze in what the network feels is noteworthy news for the day and cover local, national and international as needed. That doesn't leave a whole lot of time to go in depth. And even many of the special shows stations have that are supposed to go in depth, they only give more who, what, where and when detail and maybe more, carefully-selected footage, not much why.

"I don't see why it matters what is written. Not when it's about people. It can always be crossed out." ~Adam Young, Good Omens
Cyber Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote