The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Current Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Current Events Help understand the world by talking about things happening in it

Old 12-23-2012, 05:24 PM   #16
glatt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shawnee123 View Post
Today is Festivus. You are supposed to air grievances.

Perfect!

November 25 we ordered a remote control helicopter for the boy for Christmas. November 26 we got a noticed it had shipped. Still not here. Contacted Amazon, and was told it was shipped from Hong Kong. It's literally on the slow boat from China.

It was to be the centerpiece of gifts for the boy. So we needed a plan B. Went to Best Buy this afternoon for a video game he wanted, but they didn't have it. So we got another one instead and waited in a very very long line to pay for the thing.

I just finished wrapping somewhere between 25 and 30 presents, and have a painful knot in my back from the effort.

Consider the grievances aired.
glatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 09:42 PM   #17
Trilby
Slattern of the Swail

huh. Seems I broke the distal portion of my collar bone post bathtub accident.

the doc asked if I'd been drinking when it happened. How'm I supposed to know?
In Barrie's play and novel, the roles of fairies are brief: they are allies to the Lost Boys, the source of fairy dust and ...They are portrayed as dangerous, whimsical and extremely clever but quite hedonistic.

"Shall I give you a kiss?" Peter asked and, jerking an acorn button off his coat, solemnly presented it to her.
—James Barrie

Wimminfolk they be tricksy. - ZenGum
Trilby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 09:48 PM   #18
orthodoc
Not Suspicious, Merely Canadian

Owww. Sorry, Trilby. I thought spiritual bathtub experiences were supposed to be all about scented candles and essential oils!
Old 12-23-2012, 09:58 PM   #19
sexobon
I love it when a plan comes together.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trilby View Post
... the doc asked if I'd been drinking when it happened. How'm I supposed to know?
For future reference, you FOOSH with one hand while trying not to spill the drink in the other.
sexobon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 10:03 PM   #20
orthodoc

Quote:
Originally Posted by sexobon View Post
For future reference, you FOOSH with one hand while trying not to spill the drink in the other.
But then you just give yourself a scaphoid fracture. Although there's a better chance of saving the drink.
Old 12-23-2012, 10:24 PM   #21
tw
Read? I only know how to write.

Quote:
Originally Posted by orthodoc View Post
I thought spiritual bathtub experiences were supposed to be all about scented candles and essential oils!
And bubbles. Lots of bubbles. So that we do not see anything that might change the spirit.
tw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 10:25 PM   #22
Trilby
Slattern of the Swail

Dude: Hey! There's a beverage here!*

*for legal/moral reasons I will admit that there were NO alcoholic beverages involved in this accident. That's my story. There's a million stories in the naked city, and that one is mine.

Book 'em, Danno.

Yes, I realized I cross-polinated from many shows and movies, but fuck, I broke my collar bone! Now I can't wear collars for like....a MONTH!
In Barrie's play and novel, the roles of fairies are brief: they are allies to the Lost Boys, the source of fairy dust and ...They are portrayed as dangerous, whimsical and extremely clever but quite hedonistic.

"Shall I give you a kiss?" Peter asked and, jerking an acorn button off his coat, solemnly presented it to her.
—James Barrie

Old 12-23-2012, 10:48 PM   #23
Trilby
Slattern of the Swail

we learned the bones of the wrist like this:

Never Lower Tilly's Pants Mother may Come Home:

Navicular
Lunate
Triquetrium
Pisiform
greater Multangular (trapezium)
lesser Multangular (trapezoid)
Capitate
Hamate

but if you're Scottish you get the slightly more rogue-ish
Carpal bones

"Scottish Lads Take Prostitutes To The Caledonian Hotel":

Scaphoid
Lunate
Triquetrium
Pisiform
Trapezium
Trapezoid
capatate
hamate

I guess Scots don't have a navicular bone....'splains a LOT.

—James Barrie

Old 12-23-2012, 10:51 PM   #24
sexobon

Quote:
Originally Posted by orthodoc View Post
But then you just give yourself a scaphoid fracture. Although there's a better chance of saving the drink.
Clavicular fractures I've treated have also had a FOOSH etiology. People who aren't practiced in falling techniques (unlike athletes, martial artists, parachutists ... etc.) have a tendency to lock their elbow and transmit the shock.
Old 12-23-2012, 10:53 PM   #25
Trilby
Slattern of the Swail

i never did take those parachuting lessons my sister gave me for my birthday....NOW my face is red!

and the REALLY sad thing is I won't get anything but Advil.

shiiiiiiiiiit; help a sister OUT.

—James Barrie

Old 12-23-2012, 11:04 PM   #26
orthodoc

Quote:
Originally Posted by sexobon View Post
Clavicular fractures I've treated have also had a FOOSH etiology. People who aren't practiced in falling techniques (unlike athletes, martial artists, parachutists ... etc.) have a tendency to lock their elbow and transmit the shock.
True. Which bone gives tends to depend on age, bone health, and as you say, falling technique.
Old 12-23-2012, 11:12 PM   #27
sexobon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trilby View Post
... and the REALLY sad thing is I won't get anything but Advil.

shiiiiiiiiiit; help a sister OUT.
Remember, pain is just weakness leaving your body. I bet that's making you feel better already.
Old 12-24-2012, 08:48 AM   #28
Griff
still says videotape

Lil' Pete's beau is sweet, smart, fun-loving, sorta crazy, and has great people skills. His Mom does not seem to recognize any of these qualities and is getting increasingly angry that he is spending so much time with my family which cherishes these attributes. I think she's had a rough life and is embracing the sarcastic "B" role so common among Irish Catholic women. It is difficult to watch. WWBD? What would Buddha do?
Old 12-26-2012, 08:53 AM   #29
Trilby
Slattern of the Swail

Griff, as a (partly) Irish (denouncing) Catholic woman I think I can say with certainty that nearly all women of all ethnic and religious bents can be B's.

Kind of like how all men, no matter how good, can all be cocks.

it's just the human condition.

I'm pretty sure Buddha would say "love her anyway" and AA says to pray, every day, for your enemies. Jesus said the same thing and so do most righteous people. And I know you are righteous. Say a prayer that she overcome her ---whatever-----and let the angels do the rest.

—James Barrie

Old 12-26-2012, 09:03 AM   #30
orthodoc

Good advice, Trilby - let go and let the angels. It's hard to do when family are involved. Even harder when it's family in your face, picking fights.

Walk softly, exercise diplomacy, and disengage, disengage, disengage. If they won't after three attempts, then you get to use the big stick.