The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Home Base

Home Base A starting point, and place for threads don't seem to belong anywhere else

Old 04-15-2009, 05:22 PM   #1
classicman
barely disguised asshole, keeper of all that is holy.

Overweight? United Airlines may charge you

Big Charges

Quote:
We all know that you can't take heavy luggage on a plane anymore without being charged. But United Airlines, in an attempt to rain on the parade of the "you can have your cake and eat it, too," crowd, has just announced that people packing extra pounds may pay more for their ticket as well.

They have three new rules, as they mention on their web site. You will pay for an extra ticket or be forced to upgrade where you'll have more room (or be exited off the plane if you refuse) if:

* you're unable to fit into a single seat in the ticketed cabin.
* you're unable to properly buckle the seat belt using a single seat belt extender
* you're unable to put the seat's arm rests down when seated.

It'll be interesting to see what the public thinks of this, but as for me, I'll weigh in on the issue by reluctantly admitting that I think it's the right thing to do. And I say that as a fairly beefy guy who could benefit from dropping 30 (and probably) 50 pounds.
I flew twice last year (not on United), and I'm confident that I would have to gain massive amounts of weight before being in danger of being called-out by United Airlines. But, boy, if I ever get to the point where I'm told I'll have to upgrade or pay for two tickets, I'll be sad for my bank account, and I may be initially outraged and embarrassed. But I have to also think that later, I might be grateful and go see my doctor or visit my neighborhood gym. I'm often trying to exercise more and eat better, but what a wake-up call that would be.

In any case, if an overweight person is spilling over into the next seat onto another passenger, or if they have to take up two seats, one can't blame an airline -- especially in this economy -- for wanting to charge them for two tickets. And it's hardly fair for someone next to a large man or woman to sit in complete discomfort during a flight and pay the consequences of that person eating too much pizza and fast food.

United instituted the policy because last year, they had over 700 complaints from the person sitting next to an over-sized passenger. The new policy, incidentally, applies to tickets purchased on or after March 4, 2009.

The great thing about the airline market, at least right now, is that there are still choices for the obese airline passenger.

But ultimately, I do think United Airlines has the right idea, and I'm okay with that, just as long as they don't start asking their passengers to step on the scale next to the counter.
I have been that person in the next seat, I didn't complain, but it was very annoying to sit there with some of the person next to me spilling into my seat. It was pretty gross. I'm not sure what other solution there is.
Old 04-15-2009, 05:27 PM   #2
Pico and ME
Are you knock-kneed?

I swear they have made the seats smaller. I know they have jammed them in so they can have more seats on the plane...even little me felt like I was packed in like a sardine. The seats were so close together that I could not lean forward enough to reach my purse on the floor at my feet. Im 5'1'' and 110 pounds. A 300 pounder wouldnt even be able to slide into the seat.
Pico and ME is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2009, 05:30 PM   #3
Shawnee123
Why, you're a regular Alfred E Einstein, ain't ya?

I flew with a cow orker to Las Vegas for conference one year. She had to get one seatbelt extender. I can't imagine how you could fit into the seat in the first place if you needed two. She was, I don't know...400 and something pounds. She wasn't even slightly apprehensive about asking for the extender: she had been large all her life.

Anyway, I thought they already charged for two seats if you take up two seats: what has changed?
Old 04-15-2009, 05:33 PM   #4
classicman

I don't think a 300 pounder is what this affects. But I'd like to get an idea of exactly how large you have to be to have an issue with this.

Is weight really the issue? I can't believe that. So what if they buy two seats - can't sit in both of them at the same time ... can they?
Old 04-15-2009, 05:40 PM   #5
Shawnee123

Well yeah...if they leave the armrest up between the two seats, and get a seatbelt extender, or two.

I'm confused: what do you think the issue is? The rules are pretty clear.
Old 04-15-2009, 05:42 PM   #6
lumberjim
I can hear my ears

I'm effectively a 300 pounder. i was probably over 300 when I flew to TX 2 yrs ago, and it was torture. I didn't spill into my neighbor's seat, but was glad it was a smaller person.

On the 5 hour flight to AZ on the way to Cabo last fall, I was prolly 295 and got stuck in between to full sized (225-245lb?) men. That sucked bad.

I cannot imagine what someone 350+ goes through when they fly. If I was that big, I guess I'd try out first class.
lumberjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2009, 06:19 PM   #7
Juniper
I know, right?

I sat next to one of those people on a Disney bus last week. Resulted in my having to sit with my own rump right on the hump between two seats; not a comfy ride at all.
Juniper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2009, 12:14 AM   #8
sugarpop
Professor

I think it's fine that they are charging more for someone that big. Why should a smaller person have to suffer because the person next to them is too big for their seat? Just give them two seats, then the problem goes away. Unless of course they are so huge they take up 3 seats.
sugarpop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2009, 10:39 AM   #9
lookout123
changed his status to single

How tall are you Jim? If you are anywhere near 300 you are carrying it exceedingly well in your pictures.
Old 04-16-2009, 09:26 PM   #10
TheMercenary
“Hypocrisy: prejudice with a halo”

I fully support the change by the Airlines.
Old 04-17-2009, 03:10 AM   #11
The Teapot
May Ter Dee

I'd support it if they hadn't been slowly making the seats smaller to fit more in.
Its a good idea, but if people were paying what we should (for a three hour jorney £15 - $22.50) you'd be able to afford two seats easily.
Although, as I fly with my family normaly, if one of us is taking up too much space you are going to know about it. Usualy for a few weeks.
The Teapot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2009, 07:38 AM   #12
Shawnee123

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Teapot View Post
I'd support it if they hadn't been slowly making the seats smaller to fit more in.
Its a good idea, but if people were paying what we should (for a three hour jorney £15 - $22.50) you'd be able to afford two seats easily.
Although, as I fly with my family normaly, if one of us is taking up too much space you are going to know about it. Usualy for a few weeks.
Heehee, Teapot. In my family, a good ribbing will last us years!
Old 04-17-2009, 08:10 AM   #13
lumberjim
I can hear my ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by lookout123 View Post
How tall are you Jim? If you are anywhere near 300 you are carrying it exceedingly well in your pictures.
6'2" OF PURE MUSCLE

and fat

(290lbs last weigh in)
Old 04-17-2009, 08:32 AM   #14
classicman

Jim, we've met and I still don't believe it. I would have guessed more like 250 max. I think Jinx has you on a "special" scale.
Old 04-17-2009, 09:18 AM   #15
lumberjim
I can hear my ears

keep in mind that my head weighs about 70 lbs alone.