The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Home Base
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Home Base A starting point, and place for threads don't seem to belong anywhere else

Old 06-18-2003, 01:37 PM   #31
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Damn! Only 3 days!...I've got to get a perm!...and my nails look a fright!....Does this 50 inch belt make me look fat?.....What booze goes with oreos?
Old 06-18-2003, 08:45 PM   #32
Elionwyr
Coronation Incarnate

Question Ok, here's a lame question:

I've realized I'm working on Saturday.

Is there any possible way of Schlepta-ing it to the shindig?
Elionwyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2003, 11:11 PM   #33
wolf
lobber of scimitars

for the record .. it's Plastic Forks™. no spoons. yes, they will be available for eating things that fall through tines, but they're not in the name of the picnic.

Likely food:

Usual picnicky stuff ... dogs, burgers, wide variety of assorted extras (chips, cookies, cakes, fruity goodness, marconi salad). Somebody may get up the energy to make chili (often a forks staple.) Sometimes people think to bring chicken parts as well. In recent years bob has managed to remember to through a couple boxes of graham crackers, bags of marshmallows and chocolate bars (none of this hershey nonsense, incidentally, Ghirardelli chocolate bars ... for the s'mores. There's two reasons for this ... one G makes MUCH better chocolate. second, one of our regular attendees is a hardline vegan and the variety of dark chocolate bob buys does not contain any dairy products.)

I myself am showing up with a box of dogs and a box of hot beef sausages. Traditionally I bring the watermelon that is traditionally not eaten and is given to Bob's mom at the end of sunday cleanup. I'm still deciding whether I want to lug the damn thing down the hill.

Likely booze:

Beer.
There may be other bottles of this and that rolling around in the house or brought by other guests. Wine, mead, single malt scotch, brandy, hard cider that hard lemonade stuff. Sodas are also usually plentiful, although if you have particular requirements related to a non-sugar alternative, you might want to BYOB for that.

Other stuff you might want to bring:

Chairs, tents, air mattresses, bugspray, sunglasses, hats, frisbees, etc.

we probably have something on the order of 20 or so assorted citronella candles in the house that may do absolutely no good in reducing the insect, particularly mosquito, attacks.

Schlepta opportunities:

not so far as I know. This is southern chester county. The less countrified bits of the county barely have septa service, and this is fairly far out. The property is several miles off the route 1 + 202 intersection. I don't know that there's any public transit service to anywhere closer than West Chester.

"Conspiracies are the norm, not the exception." --G. Edward Griffin The Creature from Jekyll Island

High Priestess of the Church of the Whale Penis
wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2003, 08:14 AM   #34
Bitmap
Look who thinks he's clever Dan.

OHh... The anticipation Builds Just 2 more days till (With the corrected title) Plastic Forks

still no luck on finding a pig
Bitmap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2003, 05:33 PM   #35
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Quote:
still no luck on finding a pig
That's OK, I don't have a date either.

BTW, that Plastic Forks tm .
Old 06-19-2003, 08:47 PM   #36
richlevy
King Of Wishful Thinking

Well, it looks like rain for Saturday. So much for making sun tea.

I'll be attending anyway. I stopped by the Entemann's outlet store and picked up cakes, lots of cakes.

3 French ("Freedom") Cheescakes
3 Fat-free lemon twist danish (danishes?) (danii?)
3 Ultimate Crumb coffee cakes
1 regular danish

I might have to leave one item at home. I was hoping for an apple pie, so I might stop in tomorrow to see what they have. I figure thats dessert for 40-50 people.

I still haven't decided on grillables. My personal favorite is D&W Beef Hot Sausage. Very nice kick. Maybe some chicken drumsticks marinated overnight in hot sauce and/or garlic.

Let the games begin!
I have always believed that hope is that stubborn thing inside us that insists, despite all the evidence to the contrary, that something better awaits us so long as we have the courage to keep reaching, to keep working, to keep fighting. -- Barack Hussein Obama
richlevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2003, 08:52 PM   #37
elSicomoro
Person who doesn't update the user title

On a serious tip, who is actually coming? This is who I know of so far:

--me
--wolf
--slang
--bruce
--rich
--bitmap
--brian
--ut

I believe Dave is coming as well. Brian, is Dagney coming along?

Who else?
elSicomoro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2003, 09:23 PM   #38
Dagney
The Prodigal Brat Returneth

I'm planning on coming at the moment.

There's a somewhat small chance that my Mother may have to have a procedure done tomorrow that may have her incapacitated for the weekend, which would mean that I'm not going to be joining in the festivities.

But as of right now, I'm digging for blankies and bug spray

Dagney

Dagney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2003, 09:50 PM   #39
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

Latest forecast says there is a chance the rain could push off by Saturday afternoon.
Undertoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2003, 11:37 PM   #40
Nothing But Net
Professor

Wish I could make it, but there's that 1200 miles away thing and all, you know.

Anyhow, y'all have fun now, heah!
Nothing But Net is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2003, 01:21 AM   #41
wolf
lobber of scimitars

Rain is not an issue for forks.

We survive.

Also, if you read the official Forks site you will see that Bob indicates that "We usually arrange to have beautiful weather that day. If, however, it looks like rain, please do not let this damp your spirits. Plastic Forks will be held rain or shine. Be there! "

There was one particularly memorable year where it was raining at my home in Ambler when I left, raining in Norristown as I went to the Genuardi's to stock up on some necessary supplies, and raining as I was driving down 202. When I hit the Chester County Line, it was like walking under an awning ... suddenly, no rain, and the sun was out.

I can't guarantee anything near as spectacular for this year, but I'm just warnin' yah.

In all the years we've been doing this, we've had brief rain twice, and have made excellent use of it each time. Umbrella Frisbee requires a certain amount of skill. (the umbrellas were not USED as Frisbees, they were held by the guests as they played Frisbee.)

Fear not. We won't end up eating raw hotdogs. With sufficiently large amounts of lighter fluid, ANY grill can be started. (If it doesn't go "BOOOMF" when you toss the match on, we didn't put enough on.)

Hope all goes well for your mom, Dagney! I'm hoping to be able to meet you finally.

Everything that folks say they are bringing sounds AWESOME. Don't worry, Bitmap, if you can't find a pig. Maybe one will wander loose from a nearby farm and someone will have to defend themselves from the ravages of the wild boar. There's a herd of deer that wander around the property too. Maybe one will have an "accident". You never know.

"Conspiracies are the norm, not the exception." --G. Edward Griffin The Creature from Jekyll Island

High Priestess of the Church of the Whale Penis
wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2003, 02:41 PM   #42
Bitmap

Quote:
Originally posted by wolf
Don't worry, Bitmap, if you can't find a pig. Maybe one will wander loose from a nearby farm and someone will have to defend themselves from the ravages of the wild boar. There's a herd of deer that wander around the property too. Maybe one will have an "accident". You never know.

All We have to do is yell It's comming right for us! right? then it's ok to have an "accident".
I actualy havn't really looked. I was going to go check the local BBQ place, in a little bit, and see if i could get one. i'll post when i find out more.
Old 06-20-2003, 02:49 PM   #43
Bitmap

oh By The way...............

1 more day till PLASTIC FORKS<i>tm</i> (Cellar GTG)

and just for those who want to lift one with us... I'd suggest 8pm for the official Toast time... that way it's 5 on the west coast and 1:00 am In England.
Old 06-20-2003, 07:05 PM   #44
ladysycamore
"I may not always be perfect, but I'm always me."

Re: oh By The way...............

Quote:
Originally posted by Bitmap
1 more day till PLASTIC FORKS<i>tm</i> (Cellar GTG)

and just for those who want to lift one with us... I'd suggest 8pm for the official Toast time... that way it's 5 on the west coast and 1:00 am In England.
Sounds good. If that is to be the arranged time of toasting, I'll make sure that my thermos cup is filled with my beverage of choice.

"The Akan concept of Sankofa: In order to move forward we first have to take a step back. In other words, before we can be prepared for the future, we must comprehend the past." From "We Did It, They Hid It"
ladysycamore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2003, 10:24 PM   #45
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

The road I live on is closed because it's underwater. My sideyard is flooded and the creek is rising. More rain is coming and we're under a flood warning. If the creek gets up to my house.........
I'LL BE THERE EARLY.:p