The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Images > Image of the Day
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Image of the Day Images that will blow your mind - every day. [Blog] [RSS] [XML]

Old 08-13-2003, 04:21 AM   #16
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Welcome Annebonannie, you have now officially arrived.

Quote:
Plus it just ticks me off to read one headline on a magazine: Lose 10 lbs in 20 days! and directly below it a recipe for fudgy apple caramel tidbits. Gee, no mixed messages there!
That's part of the plan to separate the ones that are serious.

Last edited by xoxoxoBruce; 08-13-2003 at 04:24 AM.
xoxoxoBruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2003, 07:28 AM   #17
sniglet
Unintentionally Blank

Quote:
Originally posted by juju
Yeah, right. Prove a negative? That's real scientific.

Why does it bother you so much that she questioned your abilities? Couldn't you have just said all that in a nice way and not have felt so threatened? Is a simple misunderstanding really worth all that vitrol?
Shh, Juju, don't patronise the boy. He's fun to watch.

Ontopic: Most technology that has ANY potential entertainment value has been sucked up in the Pr0n industry so fast you can hear the sonic boom....all except HDTV.

The problem with HDTV is that there's SO MUCH detail that all of these amazingly good looking, shaved, perfect bodied actors...um..aren't amazingly good looking, shaved, OR perfect bodied.

I begin to wonder (in the human based photos above) at what point it's still a picture of a person...if EVERY pixel is smoothed, highlighted or altered, it's no longer a photo, it's a piece of artwork _derived_ from a photo.
sniglet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2003, 07:57 AM   #18
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Quote:
I begin to wonder (in the human based photos above) at what point it's still a picture of a person...if EVERY pixel is smoothed, highlighted or altered, it's no longer a photo, it's a piece of artwork _derived_ from a photo.
Nothing in media is real. Half the things in the news are suspect.

aside- I checked out your homepage. OMG, can I relate to the sled project, Bwahahahaha.
Old 08-13-2003, 08:53 AM   #19
dave

Quote:
Why does it bother you so much that she questioned your abilities? Couldn't you have just said all that in a nice way and not have felt so threatened? Is a simple misunderstanding really worth all that vitrol?
Are you really worth responding to? How's that pizza going?

I'm sure everyone here has forgotten your outbursts when you miss a meal. Do me a favor and kindly eat my ass. I'll spend my time how I like it, and if that includes taking issue with a rudely phrased and incorrect remark, then that's what I'll do.
Old 08-13-2003, 09:54 AM   #20
chrisinhouston
Professor

I've been a professional shooter for 23 years so the shoe or the girl's face I can understand because in advertising we get product or people that need retouching and even building a photo like the horses in front of the meadow, sometimes you just can't find what you want for a shot. But the one that gets me is http://homepage.mac.com/gapodaca/digital/tv/index.html
the one of the digital TV. Was the photographer too lazy to hang the pictures on the wall and move in the furniture? When you look at the history they had to shoot the table and chairs and the other furnishings.

After all my years in this business the biggest turnoff is when an Art Director says "Don't worry about it, we'll fix it in Photoshop".
chrisinhouston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2003, 10:19 AM   #21
Angelus
What kinda name is that?

Quote:
I take it Dave has again spouted something really insane, with a lot of consescension. How strange. I really wouldn't know, because I put him on my Ignore List a long time ago.

I have found that the Cellar is many orders of magnitude more pleasant without listening to boors like him.
Angelus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2003, 10:21 AM   #22
juju
no one of consequence

Hmm.. perhaps you misread me. I'm not saying, "You need to be this way." I try not to be presumptuous like that. I'm just asking why you are the way you are. I'm simply curious as to the answers to my previous questions.

But of course you are free to not say.
juju is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2003, 10:45 AM   #23
dave

My apologies. The lack of intonation and other various attributes of physical communication are lost in this medium and I interpreted your comment as a rude challenge.

I responded the way I did because I felt her comments were rude and incorrect. I made a statement in which I used qualifiers to clarify what I meant. I further clarified in the later post by basically stating that although is work is very good, regular people can pull off astounding editing feats in very little time using current software. If you read everything together, the conveyed meaning is essentially "This is really cool! But even cooler is that programs have advanced sufficiently that you can do this sort of thing too, and it doesn't even take long!"

Her response was basically "you are wrong". Which I'm not, because I've done everything I claim to be possible. And iPhoto happens to make a single person capable of some <b>very</b> impressive photo editing in a very short time. That's all I was saying. And her response is essentially "Obviously you don't know what you're talking about."

You should get what you give. Over the past few years, I have toned down my posting in a serious manner to make the Cellar a more friendly community. I have worked to defuse situations instead of just jumping in and pouring gasoline on the fire. But then something like this happens, where it's my contention that someone needs a lesson in manners. Not only is she sorely mistaken about the state of graphics editing applications, but she doesn't even present this opinion in a civilized manner. At that point, when she is basically calling me ignorant and/or a liar, I feel absolutely no need to remain civil. Why waste my time when her response is going to be "You remind me of..." ?
Old 08-13-2003, 10:51 AM   #24
dave

My favorite thing about Angelus (who won't read this, and that's OK!) is that 15% of his posts are dedicated to telling people I'm on his ignore list. He posts like what, once every year? And it's "Dave is such a boner. I am glad I ignore him, because he is a boner. What a boner. The Cellar is better without this boner. Because he is a boner, I ignore him. I ignore all boners. That boner."

I also enjoy the use of the word "insane", because this makes me think of the word "crazy", and I can't hear that word without hearing Steve Martin go "We are two wwwwwwwild and craaaaaaaaaaaaaaaazy guys!"

Thank you, Angelus, for brightening my day.
Old 08-13-2003, 11:52 AM   #25
ndetroit
Master Locutor

Talking

I think he/she actually said "boor", not "boner", dave ....
ndetroit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2003, 12:59 PM   #26
wolf
lobber of scimitars

I think Dave just like saying "boner."

"Conspiracies are the norm, not the exception." --G. Edward Griffin The Creature from Jekyll Island

High Priestess of the Church of the Whale Penis
wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2003, 01:05 PM   #27
Uryoces
2nd Covenant, yo

The Alaskan King boner can grow to enormous size, though. I'll have to take a look at what i-Photo can do. Ever since I found the Gimp for Win32, I gave up on Photoshop 'cause all I had was a pirated copy, and I'm not doing anything particulary intensive with it.
Old 08-13-2003, 01:15 PM   #28
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

Why didn't anyone just take Dave up on his offer?

Dave, you have 20 seconds... retouch this photo.

Undertoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2003, 01:21 PM   #29
dave

When my Power Mac starts booting, I will. (I believe the hard drive died Saturday and I have been too busy to look at it.)
Old 08-13-2003, 01:22 PM   #30
dave

(As far as that actual photo, any lawyer wish to inform me on the legality of me retouching it and posting it? I don't want someone to send the guy an email going 'Look at what this boner did to your picture! Ahahahahaha!' and me getting an angry letter from his lawyer.)