The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Images > Image of the Day

Image of the Day Images that will blow your mind - every day. [Blog] [RSS] [XML]

Old 10-14-2011, 07:05 AM   #1
CaliforniaMama
I wonder . . .

October 14, 2011 Mama and Me

Quote:
A tender moment transpires between mother and infant orangutans in Borneo’s Tanjung Puting National Park. The arboreal species has one of the longest intervals between births among mammals, typically around eight years.
Image and quote via National Geographic

This photo really caught my eye. It is just so sweet and tender, and human-like. I read so much more tenderness into the picture knowing that this mama will likely only have three babies in her lifetime.

She raises each baby for about eight years before sending it off on its own (Honolulu Zoo). I think that must make each baby very special to her.

Quote:
Despite their wild appearance, mother orangutans raise their offspring protectively and affectionately. Observation at Zoo Atlanta in Atlanta, Georgia, shows that a mother orangutan will cradle her baby tightly and give it caresses and kisses. She will also attempt to keep others from looking at her baby by shielding it with her arms and moving away from observers. This nurturing attitude helps to lower orangutan infant mortality rates both in captivity and in the wild.
Quote via: eHow.com

More interesting facts at Mongabay.
CaliforniaMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2011, 07:39 AM   #2
Trilby
Slattern of the Swail

Awwwwwwwwwww!

so sweet!
In Barrie's play and novel, the roles of fairies are brief: they are allies to the Lost Boys, the source of fairy dust and ...They are portrayed as dangerous, whimsical and extremely clever but quite hedonistic.

"Shall I give you a kiss?" Peter asked and, jerking an acorn button off his coat, solemnly presented it to her.
—James Barrie

Wimminfolk they be tricksy. - ZenGum
Trilby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2011, 07:59 AM   #3
CaliforniaMama
I wonder . . .

I want to know how they keep their fingernails so nicely trimmed without clippers, files, etc. Do they just know how to bite their nails better than us humans?
Old 10-14-2011, 08:36 AM   #4
CaliforniaMama
I wonder . . .

My dad always used to say to the waitress, "Come stick your finger in my coffee and sweeten it for me."

That's the closest I can get to a recipe for today!
Old 10-14-2011, 12:29 PM   #5
Gravdigr
The Un-Tuckian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliforniaMama View Post
I want to know how they keep their fingernails so nicely trimmed without clippers, files, etc. Do they just know how to bite their nails better than us humans?
I suspect they wear down that way. Ever seen a nervous orangutan sitting around chewing his nails?

These statements have not been evaluated by the FDA, EPA, FBI, DEA, CDC, or FDIC. These statements are not intended to diagnose, cause, treat, cure, or prevent any disease. If you feel you have been harmed/offended by, or, disagree with any of the above statements or images, please feel free to fuck right off.
Gravdigr is offline   Reply With Quote