The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Health
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Health Keeping your body well enough to support your head

Old 01-23-2008, 08:17 PM   #1
Cloud

P.E.

I don't know about you, but I HATED P.E. almost universally. In addition, when I think about it now, I get really angry at the way physical education was presented and taught. Mostly group calisthenics, running, and team sports.

YUK!

Yeah, so, I was never athletic. I could never pass even the most rudimentary "president's physical fitness" tests. I was always picked last, and hated every.fucking.second of any team sport. I could not run. I have never been able to run any length.

Now here's the thing: I love to exercise. But I never knew it until I was around 40 or so. If only they had let me do my thing: Do calisthenics at my own pace, instead of other people's. Walk, instead of run. Work out by myself, under supervision. I like to swim, and dance, and those were offered, but only at limited times. And no goddamn field hockey.

grrrrrr.
Old 01-23-2008, 08:41 PM   #2
monster
I hear them call the tide

I hear ya. Yet somehow we've managed to churn out three swimmer/soccer types and two figure skaters. and we only have 3 sprogs. (Beest wasn't exactly the jock type, either)
They'd do more if there was time -dance, karate....
Living life vicariously through one's kids?

Mind, they haven't reached high school yet......
Old 01-23-2008, 08:57 PM   #3
lumberjim
I can hear my ears

i loved gym class. especially volley ball season. and archery was the bomb.
lumberjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2008, 09:01 PM   #4
jinx
Come on, cat.

I was a jock, never hated PE, was faster than most of the boys, could climb the rope and the peg board etc... Was always involved in at least 1 team sport until HS when I started working instead. Didn't get much exercise thru my 20's, and until we moved near a state park and the kids and I started taking long walks several times a week. I guess kayaking counts too...
We joined the gym 9 mos ago and I freakin love it. I may eventually do some group activities, but for now am content to just play on all the machines and splash in the pool.
Old 01-23-2008, 09:17 PM   #5
Cloud

I'm just a slug, I guess then.
Old 01-23-2008, 09:30 PM   #6
jinx
Come on, cat.

I thought you just said you were exercising and enjoying it?
Old 01-23-2008, 10:00 PM   #7
Cloud

oh sure, but that doesn't translate into being a jock. No team sports! And slow and gentle is the norm. still can't run, either.
Old 01-23-2008, 10:06 PM   #8
jinx
Come on, cat.

I don't run either, running hurts. I walk up hill or up stairs.
Old 01-23-2008, 10:22 PM   #9
Cloud

no, can't do up, either. flat is my speed. I will not die falling off a mountain.
Old 01-23-2008, 10:31 PM   #10
lumberjim
I can hear my ears

well, don't die choking on a ham sandwich, either. start where you are. if a flight of stairs takes the wind out of you, then do it twice. and again tomorrow. etcetera. it does get easier. even if you still eat wrong, regular exercise makes such a huge difference.
lumberjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2008, 10:54 PM   #11
Cloud

the point is not that I exercise, the point is I would have exercised more my whole life if I hadn't had it ruined for me early on with ham-handed (HA!) instruction.

well . . . a little more. I was always the kid who wanted to stay inside and read while everyone else was outside riding bikes or something. Drove my family crazy.

I still am that kid, but at least I have found active things I like now, even if it did take me 40 years.
Old 01-23-2008, 11:02 PM   #12
monster
I hear them call the tide

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloud View Post
the point is not that I exercise, the point is I would have exercised more my whole life if I hadn't had it ruined for me early on with ham-handed (HA!) instruction.

well . . . a little more. I was always the kid who wanted to stay inside and read while everyone else was outside riding bikes or something. Drove my family crazy.

I still am that kid, but at least I have found active things I like now, even if it did take me 40 years.
plus, treadmills and the like have book rests
Old 01-23-2008, 11:07 PM   #13
Clodfobble
UNDER CONDITIONAL MITIGATION

I'm with you, Cloud. I like being active, but in a strength-oriented way, not in an aerobic way. My high school was really good about offering a wide variety of P.E. classes, but unfortunately, one of the state requirements at the time was that every P.E. class, no matter the subject, had to have at least one six weeks of running. Just running.

Tennis, weight lifting, gymnastics... all of them were great--except for the stupid running segment. The irony is I got no meaningful exercise during those parts of the year because I just walked, no matter how much I got yelled at. I even played lacrosse for a short time on a completely extracurricular basis--but I was the goalie. No running.
Clodfobble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2008, 07:51 AM   #14
Trilby
Slattern of the Swail

good lord, when I saw the title of this thread I thought someone had a pulmonary embolism! what a relief!
Trilby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2008, 08:33 AM   #15
Cloud

LOL! my gym is my living room, and a treadmill would take up my entire living room. would be nice tho. I prefer working out at home, alone. Par for the course. I have my weights, my big and little balls (which I luuuuuve), my mini tramp, and my music. 'sall I need.

Why didn't my fancy school have personal trainers?

. . . oh yeah. That was before personal trainers!