The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Home Base
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Home Base A starting point, and place for threads don't seem to belong anywhere else

Old 02-15-2005, 05:03 PM   #16
warch
lurkin old school

Here's another thing that sticks in my craw....

OC, your sig line implies that the only way one can behave morally, righteously, peacefully, happily, healthily, productively is to believe in "a god". Like the only thing stopping me from chopping up my neighbor is a belief in "a god", and the only reason I would behave respectfully, peacefully is the selfish fear for my own salvation by "a god".
I find that very insulting.
warch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2005, 05:17 PM   #17
mrnoodle
bent

OC can fight her own battles, but I have a hard time keeping my typing fingers shut.

warch, come on. You don't really think that's what that sig is saying, do you?
Old 02-15-2005, 05:34 PM   #18
Happy Monkey
I think this line's mostly filler.

It all depends on how you interpret "live my life as if there were no God." It could mean anything from "be selfish and evil" to "not get baptised".
|_______________| [pics]
Happy Monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2005, 09:38 PM   #19
OnyxCougar
Junior Master Dwellar

Quote:
Originally Posted by warch
Sorry to insult you, that was not my intent. I'm saying that an exhibition of "How Noah fed the animals" and "playing with the T-Rex" as displayed in their PR slide show are there to tell one story only. This biblical interpretation is their end. I welcome real, thoughtful discourse, Christian or otherwise. I'm suspect of fundamentalist script, particularly with plastic dinosaurs. If anyone is being insulting and I would add, threatening, to Christianity, its these fundamentalist indoctrinators .

And of course, since evolutionary origins and millions of years has been proven without a doubt, it's ok to indoctrinalize people in that.

Unfortunetly, that has yet to be proven without a doubt. So then it's ok to indoctrinalize people with something that hasn't been proven?

Isn't that what you're saying AiG is doing?

Impotentes defendere libertatem non possunt.

"Repetition does not transform a lie into a truth."
~Franklin D. Roosevelt
OnyxCougar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2005, 09:41 PM   #20
OnyxCougar
Junior Master Dwellar

Quote:
Originally Posted by warch
Here's another thing that sticks in my craw....

OC, your sig line implies that the only way one can behave morally, righteously, peacefully, happily, healthily, productively is to believe in "a god". Like the only thing stopping me from chopping up my neighbor is a belief in "a god", and the only reason I would behave respectfully, peacefully is the selfish fear for my own salvation by "a god".
I find that very insulting.
I'm sorry you inferred any implication or offense to my sig, Warch.

If that's the way you think of it, I'm sorry. That's not anywhere near what I mean by my sig and I think you know that without me having to tell you.

~Franklin D. Roosevelt
Old 02-16-2005, 08:58 AM   #21
Troubleshooter
The urban Jane Goodall

Quote:
Originally Posted by OnyxCougar
And of course, since evolutionary origins and millions of years has been proven without a doubt, it's ok to indoctrinalize people in that.
At least it has some credible evidence.

Quote:
Unfortunetly, that has yet to be proven without a doubt. So then it's ok to indoctrinalize people with something that hasn't been proven?
It's no indoctrination if you call it a theory.

Quote:
Isn't that what you're saying AiG is doing?
The Bible—the ‘history book of the universe’—provides a reliable, eye-witness account of the beginning of all things, and can be trusted to tell the truth in all areas it touches on. Therefore, we are able to use it to help us make sense of this present world. When properly understood, the ‘evidence’ confirms the biblical account.

Um, yeah...
Old 02-16-2005, 09:29 AM   #22
Happy Monkey

Wouldn't it be cool if, as a student, you could have anything removed from the curriculum if it hadn't been proven beyond a doubt? The teacher would say "I think, therefore I am." and you could go home.
|_______________| [pics]
Old 02-16-2005, 09:29 AM   #23
mrnoodle
bent

So what's the fear here? That we're going to shut down all the laboratories and research projects in the world and replace them with, "Because God said so?"

It's just a bible-based museum presenting another side of the story. As with Wall Drug, the world's largest ball of twine, or the Clinton Library (snicker), you can just drive by. But no. Because it's got something to do with God, it warrants that very special combination of intellectual self-righteousness and venom that seems to seep into the conversation any time faith is mentioned.

I guess it just really seems that stupid to you. But to me it looks like the least tolerant, most aggro people in the world are the very bunch that accuse Christians of the same thing. Eh. At least we all agree on gun control, right? ::
Old 02-16-2005, 09:43 AM   #24
OnyxCougar
Junior Master Dwellar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy Monkey
Wouldn't it be cool if, as a student, you could have anything removed from the curriculum if it hadn't been proven beyond a doubt? The teacher would say "I think, therefore I am." and you could go home.
Wouldn't it be cool, if, as educators, we left origins theories out of school altogether and just leave the real science in?

~Franklin D. Roosevelt
Old 02-16-2005, 09:52 AM   #25
Troubleshooter
The urban Jane Goodall

I heap equal amounts of abuse on people regardless of their ideological baggage. It's just that some people make it that much easier.

A bible museum is not a scientific facility, it is a comparative religion facility.
Old 02-16-2005, 09:53 AM   #26
Happy Monkey

Poor Christians, the perpetual victims. Why, oh why, won't people just let them be Christians in peace? How could they possibly be expected to properly worship God without government participation?

The Creationism Museum, on the other hand, is fine. As you say, it's a roadside museum like any other private theme museum. I fully support their right to exist, though I consider it to be basically equivalent to a bigfoot or UFO museum - fun to visit, and a provider of interesting tchochkes, but it's too bad there are people who actually believe it. At least it's not Scientology.
|_______________| [pics]
Old 02-16-2005, 09:53 AM   #27
Troubleshooter
The urban Jane Goodall

Quote:
Wouldn't it be cool, if, as educators, we left origins theories out of school altogether and just leave the real science in?
Wouldn't it be cool if people could differentiate between a theory and revelatory dogma?
Old 02-16-2005, 09:57 AM   #28
Happy Monkey

Quote:
You have never demonstrated any understanding of what real science is, when you say evolution and creationism are equally scientific because neither are proven beyond a doubt.
|_______________| [pics]
Old 02-16-2005, 10:10 AM   #29
warch
lurkin old school

So what's the fear here? That we're going to shut down all the laboratories and research projects in the world and replace them with, "Because God said so?"

Frankly, yes. That is a big fear.

Because people dont want to risk pissing off a god, just in case he or she exists to give them the afterlife smackdown.

Last edited by warch; 02-16-2005 at 10:16 AM.
warch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2005, 10:19 AM   #30
mrnoodle
bent

monkey, I didn't say you should feel sorry for us. I said that kind of talk is the very thing you accuse Christians of. No one asked for yet another patronizing little slam.

Looked up museum in da dikshunary:

an institution devoted to the procurement, care, study, and display of objects of lasting interest or value; a place where objects are exhibited

Conspicuously absent from the definition:

if the museum is themed, said theme must not conflict with the almighty word of Darwin, et al.

Warch, I got the world domination newsletter from my pastor today, and he said any plans for eliminating science have been pushed out to 2010 at least, since we're overbudget on the eradication of gays. Still on track with forcing all children to pray before school lunch, but don't know where the money's gonna come from.

Last edited by mrnoodle; 02-16-2005 at 10:23 AM.
mrnoodle is offline   Reply With Quote