Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Health
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Health Keeping your body well enough to support your head

Old 05-18-2007, 05:43 AM   #31
Griff
still says videotape

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jebediah View Post
Sure, not all supplements are good and some can be harmful. That doesn't mean they should all be painted with the same brush nor should they be considered detrimental in every situation.
Absolutely. It is situational.
Old 05-18-2007, 07:27 AM   #32
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

Let me fix your statement:

Supplements should not be considered detrimental in every situation. Unfortunately, we don't know what is detrimental, and we don't know what our situation is.

We *think* we know what our situation is, and what the supplements do for it, because we want to believe we are in control.

For prostate cancer, the multi-vitamins are harmless right up until the point a tumor starts -- and then they become deadly.

Mr Pollan in the NYT arcitle:
Quote:
Also, people don’t eat nutrients, they eat foods, and foods can behave very differently than the nutrients they contain. Researchers have long believed, based on epidemiological comparisons of different populations, that a diet high in fruits and vegetables confers some protection against cancer. So naturally they ask, What nutrients in those plant foods are responsible for that effect? One hypothesis is that the antioxidants in fresh produce — compounds like beta carotene, lycopene, vitamin E, etc. — are the X factor. It makes good sense: these molecules (which plants produce to protect themselves from the highly reactive oxygen atoms produced in photosynthesis) vanquish the free radicals in our bodies, which can damage DNA and initiate cancers. At least that’s how it seems to work in the test tube. Yet as soon as you remove these useful molecules from the context of the whole foods they’re found in, as we’ve done in creating antioxidant supplements, they don’t work at all. Indeed, in the case of beta carotene ingested as a supplement, scientists have discovered that it actually increases the risk of certain cancers. Big oops.
Bold mine.
Undertoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2007, 11:09 AM   #33
lumberjim
I can hear my ears

I take absolutley nothing. other than food. and sometimes i take vitamin C if i get a cold. and i'm strong like bull.
lumberjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2007, 01:31 PM   #34
Pie
Gone and done

EPA/DHA (long-chain omega-3s)
Cholecalciferol (D3)
acetylsalicylic acid (aspirin)

Oh, and ethyl alcohol. In moderation.

Last edited by Pie; 05-18-2007 at 01:32 PM. Reason: forgot the best one!
Pie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2007, 12:05 AM   #35
WabUfvot5
Operations Operative

Quote:
Originally Posted by Undertoad View Post
Let me fix your statement:

Supplements should not be considered detrimental in every situation. Unfortunately, we don't know what is detrimental, and we don't know what our situation is.

We *think* we know what our situation is, and what the supplements do for it, because we want to believe we are in control.
The old "if it ain't broke don't fix it" axiom comes to mind. Why take anything if you're fine?

Still mankind in general has a very poor grasp of what is detrimental at any given time (Ephedra anybody?); that said it's all hedging bets unless you really know what's going on. I'll admit I don't. Maybe in 40 years I'll drop dead from too much Caprylic acid. I'm betting I won't and the benefits of what I'm taking far outweigh the risks.
WabUfvot5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2007, 05:21 AM   #36
Aliantha
trying hard to be a better person

If you eat a balanced diet and you shit when you should, then I don't think think you need dietry suppliments.

I do however like sleeping and not threatening to murder my family during my time of month, so I take stuff that helps with those issues.

I've never taken multi vitamins. I think they're a load of crap. There are some herbal suppliments that are good though, just as a mug of warm milk is sometimes beneficial before bed.
Old 05-19-2007, 12:14 PM   #37
Perry Winkle
Esnohplad Semaj Ton

Quote:
Originally Posted by Undertoad View Post
Mr Pollan in the NYT arcitle:
You quote a newspaper. I'm as convinced as I would be if you had quoted wikipedia. :p
Perry Winkle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2007, 03:23 PM   #38
Yepa
Listening

Calcium. I'm allergic to dairy, so the days I'm not eating enough leafy greens, nuts and such, I take a supplement. Other than that I'm a big believer in that eating varied and healthy will provide you with the nutrition you need. I'm not overly focused on it. If I start feeling lethargic I might take a look at my diet, but that hasn't happened yet.
Old 07-13-2007, 11:50 PM   #39
skysidhe
~~Life is either a daring adventure or nothing.~~

B vitamins always.

Tonight I am trying some Organic Nighty Night by Traditional Medicinals which is made with Passionflower among other things to help with sleep. I am adding a shot of rum to mine plus lots o honey. If anyone sees a problem with that please stop me now.

If I should die before I wake I pray the lord my soul to take.

amen and bottoms up!

Last edited by skysidhe; 07-13-2007 at 11:51 PM. Reason: advice needed
skysidhe is offline   Reply With Quote