The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Nothingland
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Nothingland Something about nothing - game threads, diversions, time-wasters

Old 11-13-2009, 08:24 PM   #4741
Juniper
I know, right?

LOL -- I wanted to build some suspense.

OK, so I took a preggy test. Reason? I'm gaining weight and I don't know why. I don't think I'm doing anything different, but all of a sudden my favorite jeans don't fit. At all. Hm. I'm on the mini pill, so I don't have a period, thus I'm clueless. I may have not taken it quite as regularly as I should the past couple months because of this & that. . . so. I thought it unlikely 'cause we're an old boring married couple (ahem) and because we're, well, old. I'm 41, not exactly in prime fertile years.

I bought the thing on the way home from class, and I was in a hurry, not much time before I had to pick up the kids. I went in and peed on the stick, went out to change my shoes (new boots, they hurt), came back and saw TWO BLUE LINES. I nearly fainted. Seriously, I think I would have fainted if I didn't sit down.

My heart was thumping. Damn, I'm too old for this. I'm on lots of medication for blood pressure, cholesterol, etc. and just am happy with the way things are, right? I sat on the bed and soaked it in. OMG. OMG. OMG.

Then I looked at the box.

Uh, a positive is a PLUS, not two lines.

Dummy.

I'M NOT PREGNANT! That is making me happy.

Is it really stupid that it's also kinda-sorta making me sad? ::shrug::

Last edited by Juniper; 11-13-2009 at 08:30 PM.
Juniper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2009, 08:46 PM   #4742
monster
I hear them call the tide

Sorry hin, the weight thing is to do with age. I'm 39 and experiencing the same problem and so are a few of my friends about the same age. There's a reason 40 has that big thing about it
Old 11-13-2009, 09:02 PM   #4743
Pie
Gone and done

It's a complication you didn't need. Glad there aren't any hard decisions to be made.... Now, you take that pill regularly, you hear me girl??
Old 11-14-2009, 06:06 AM   #4744
Griff
still says videotape

Yikes! Be careful Juni. We want to be happy for people when they're pregnant but it is risky business for our age group.
Old 11-14-2009, 11:13 AM   #4745
Juniper
I know, right?

Well. The point is, that it's just kind of funny that for a whole 60 seconds or so I actually thought it was POSITIVE. I really did. That's why it's a post here, and not just a private eye roll. So you can laugh at me!

I should know better; for the 10 years or so I've been taking the mini pill I've bought a lot of preggy tests. The way it works is you take the same low dose every day, there's no "off" week like regular pills, right? So no period, which I do not miss, but there's no way to really know if you're "late" like you ordinarily would. I feel very disassociated from a woman's normal cycle. And because they're low dose you have to take them exactly the same time each day, there's less forgiveness. So if I happen to feel ill one day, or fall asleep early, or get drunk and forget, etc. I'm theoretically opening myself up to fertility. I never had trouble getting knocked up when I meant to.

I haven't thought about it much, though, for the last three years or so. I figure at this age, conception is much less likely (plus you have to, um . . . ::shrug:: never mind) but you never know. I've probably got another few years till the "change."

Hubby's sister had a baby at age 41. And did it again at 43. Biggest mistake she ever made (long story) but health wise everything was OK. (Well, we're not entirely sure about the youngest one yet; he's kind of LD, but that may be his environment.) People do it. In fact, I think hubby's mom was about that age when she had him, too. My mom was 35.

Pie mentioned hard decisions. Wouldn't be a decision at all, unless a test revealed serious problems. A baby would be welcome, even though it wouldn't be convenient. Actually aside from the age thing, it would be easier this time around because I've got older kids to help out, especially my daughter, who is really such a mother hen already.

Well obviously it's a moot point. It's just that for that minute I really thought it was true and it was interesting to note my reaction. Terror, certainly. Calculation of when spring quarter ends.

Hubby and I elected to stop at two when we were blessed with one of each, boy and girl. Didn't want to push our luck, or our resources. But it's always been kind of sad to me that it's over, especially now that they are on the cusp of high school and fairly independent. OTOH I'm loving the chance to "get my life back" so to speak and be something besides mom.

Oh well, thanks for letting me ramble, and I realize it really was just that . . . roll your eyes at me, go ahead, you think I'm a ninny.
Juniper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2009, 12:00 PM   #4746
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Maybe he should get snipped, so you can quit the pills all together?
Old 11-14-2009, 07:00 PM   #4747
Shawnee123
Why, you're a regular Alfred E Einstein, ain't ya?

Buckeyes! WTG OSU!
Old 11-20-2009, 05:38 AM   #4748
ZenGum
Doctor Wtf

Rain. Only a few millimeters so far, but 20 to 40 mills expected over the next day or two, which should put out most of the fires that the lightning started.

Last edited by ZenGum; 11-20-2009 at 05:45 AM.
ZenGum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2009, 05:41 AM   #4749
DanaC
We have to go back, Kate!

My replacement camera arrived I picked it up yesterday from the store *skips about* soooo glad I didn't have to buy a new one!
DanaC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2009, 05:50 AM   #4750
ZenGum
Doctor Wtf

So, do you love capitalist consumer-good fetishism yet comrade?
Old 11-20-2009, 06:50 AM   #4751
capnhowdy
Blatantly Homosapien

Friday. And a four day weekend next week.
Old 11-20-2009, 07:25 AM   #4752
DanaC
We have to go back, Kate!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZenGum View Post
So, do you love capitalist consumer-good fetishism yet comrade?
I run my pc on a Windows operating system. I sold my soul long ago :P Or at least that's what my Linux fethishist friend thinks. *awaits missiles*
DanaC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2009, 10:36 AM   #4753
Pie
Gone and done

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juniper View Post
Pie mentioned hard decisions. Wouldn't be a decision at all, unless a test revealed serious problems. A baby would be welcome, even though it wouldn't be convenient. Actually aside from the age thing, it would be easier this time around because I've got older kids to help out, especially my daughter, who is really such a mother hen already.
I wasn't specifically talking about whether to 'keep' the baby or not -- somehow, I though that you were likely to feel as you do. Even if a baby is completely planned, there are always a ton of (sometimes difficult!) decisions to be made. School, your own health, your current family... Still, glad it worked out for the best.
Old 11-21-2009, 02:55 PM   #4754
Sundae
polaroid of perfection

Speaking to a friend today, she mentioned the word "yarn" as in the wool sense.
Really made me smile.
The knitters amongst you might hear it all the time, but I haven't heard it for a long while.

Apart from that, all is pretty much okay-dokey.
Going Christmas shopping next week with the 'rents. I'll take pics of the decorations.
Sleeping pretty well.
Saw the Barrowman on Children in Need last night.
Little or no rain compared to some parts of the UK (Cockermouth sounds funny alright, but they're had a terrible time recently) and been walking daily.

Huzzah!
Old 11-21-2009, 07:28 PM   #4755
monster
I hear them call the tide

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundae Girl View Post
Speaking to a friend today, she mentioned the word "yarn" as in the wool sense.
Really made me smile.
The knitters amongst you might hear it all the time, but I haven't heard it for a long while.

hehe Americans say yarn where Brits would say wool ....sounded so old fashioned and quaint when I first heard it. it funny, because I think that about a few word, phrases and customs ....and yet that the stereotypical New American view of Olde England. it amuses me (in a good way) the way the two countries are on different points of the trend cycle on so many things.