The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Home Base
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Home Base A starting point, and place for threads don't seem to belong anywhere else

Old 11-27-2010, 03:02 AM   #1
sad_winslow
Big McLargeHuge

speaking of cars

So.. I just found myself becoming the owner of a used gmc cargo minivan, and I'd like to do up the cargo compartment a bit; considering insulation, paneling and some better flooring, maybe some electrical improvements. anyone have any tips or hints? how should i go about, say, adhering carpeting or something to the floor? should i worry about condensation behind insulation? should i consider some sort of solar roof vent to keep it aerated back there? any advice would be appreciated from car folks, cause i'm pretty much a noob at this, but i've been wanting a vehicle like this for quite some time.

so far, all i've worked out is that step one is remove the.. bulkhead barrier? rape grate? whatever you want to call it from behind the seats, metal barrier thing doesn't have a door and it sort of freaks me out. step something else is definitely a cheap rear/backing camera system...
sad_winslow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2010, 06:51 AM   #2
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Do up the cargo compartment for what?
Old 11-27-2010, 08:51 AM   #3
monster
I hear them call the tide

(?s)He's building a lurvemobile
Old 11-27-2010, 09:05 AM   #4
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

If that were so, why would he remove the "rape grate"?
Old 11-27-2010, 09:07 AM   #5
monster

Because otherwise he might become happy winslow and that would be bad for business?
Old 11-27-2010, 03:50 PM   #6
Gravdigr
The Un-Tuckian

Shag carpet. 'S all I'm saying.

These statements have not been evaluated by the FDA, EPA, FBI, DEA, CDC, or FDIC. These statements are not intended to diagnose, cause, treat, cure, or prevent any disease. If you feel you have been harmed/offended by, or, disagree with any of the above statements or images, please feel free to fuck right off.
Gravdigr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2010, 03:55 PM   #7
Gravdigr
The Un-Tuckian

Oh, one other thing...

Don't put an oak entertainment center w/TV/VCR/DVD/PS2/Stereo system/surround sound, speakers, hand-made oak panel LED ceiling lighting in there. Cuzz, when you get busted, they will rip that shit out with a crowbar. And smile at you while thinking about all the hours of labor you put into it.

ETA: Then they will sell it.

These statements have not been evaluated by the FDA, EPA, FBI, DEA, CDC, or FDIC. These statements are not intended to diagnose, cause, treat, cure, or prevent any disease. If you feel you have been harmed/offended by, or, disagree with any of the above statements or images, please feel free to fuck right off.
Old 11-27-2010, 04:31 PM   #8
ZenGum
Doctor Wtf

Colour scheme:

Name:  Ateam Van.jpg
Views: 213
Size:  10.3 KB

Seriously, though, what are your plans for the van? Courier, tradesman's van, or camping / cruising / shaggin-wagon?

I have no advice about installation, but having had a campervan, I would say that being able to walk through from the front to the back is highly desirable. Out with the safety grille, if that makes this possible.
Old 11-27-2010, 06:03 PM   #9
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gravdigr View Post
Shag carpet. 'S all I'm saying.
NO, not shag. It harbors smells, bugs, and precious bodily fluids... impossible to clean.
Old 11-27-2010, 07:34 PM   #10
monster

Linoleum then? with a drain in the middle? easy to hose down......
Old 11-27-2010, 11:17 PM   #11
sad_winslow
Big McLargeHuge

pretty much cruising, light camping, and occasional cargo hauling for a) projects and b) moving house are my plans for the beast.

the bulkhead divider definitely can, and will, come out; it's just a matter of going out there with a ratchet and removing the annoying thing. not only will the walkthrough be nice but the extra visibility of not having to look through the grate in the rear-view would be nice.

i actually want to get some cheap carpet back there so it's not just the slick polymer floor-coating; any recommendations for how to anchor it down (preferably in a way that's removable later)? i'm also considering some insulation for the back walls to dampen the sound, and maybe a bit of paneling, but that's down the road a bit.

no disco balls or shag carpet, but a place to chill out a bit is also what i'm after. i'm out and about a lot a lot between school and other activities. debating how to run a power system to the back, too. and getting a bit of ham radio gear in there.

not so much "shaggin'-wagon" as "nerd-wagon", i'm afraid.

edit: having re-read my previous post i already asked half of what i just said and am just repeating myself. i am clearly too tired to be on the interwebs tonight, but any further thoughts or ideas are welcome.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZenGum View Post
Colour scheme:

Seriously, though, what are your plans for the van? Courier, tradesman's van, or camping / cruising / shaggin-wagon?

I have no advice about installation, but having had a campervan, I would say that being able to walk through from the front to the back is highly desirable. Out with the safety grille, if that makes this possible.

Last edited by sad_winslow; 11-27-2010 at 11:19 PM. Reason: enhance. enhance. enhance.
sad_winslow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2010, 11:24 PM   #12
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Plywood on the floor with linoleum, and a throw rug if you want to lounge. Closed cell foam insulation for the walls, and if you want to gussy it up, a no pile very tight weave industrial carpet.
Old 11-28-2010, 03:18 PM   #13
Gravdigr
The Un-Tuckian

Quote:
Originally Posted by monster View Post
Linoleum then? with a drain in the middle? easy to hose down......
Linoleum is no good for the Sunday Night Mobile Oil-Wrestling matches...

Quote:
Originally Posted by xoxoxoBruce View Post
...a no pile very tight weave industrial carpet.
Rugburn.

Old 11-28-2010, 03:18 PM   #14
Gravdigr
The Un-Tuckian

Nothing says seventies shaggin wagon like shag.

Old 11-28-2010, 03:24 PM   #15
Gravdigr
The Un-Tuckian

Is this an Astro/Safari van? If so, if it's got a decent motor, and is a truly 'no guts' cargo van, that 4.3 can raise a little hell. I used to drive an Astro cargo van as part of a job I had. Got a ticket for 63 in a 35, the cop never saw or smelled the tire smoke I left right around the corner...