The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Home Base
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Home Base A starting point, and place for threads don't seem to belong anywhere else

Old 05-27-2005, 09:34 AM   #31
wolf
lobber of scimitars

I think I'd go more with something like ... you probably aren't aware of this, but ...

Stay on an equal footing. Do not offer to be the one to make the concessions. Just state the problem. This is round one.

"Conspiracies are the norm, not the exception." --G. Edward Griffin The Creature from Jekyll Island

High Priestess of the Church of the Whale Penis
wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2005, 10:58 AM   #32
chainsaw
Wingnahningning... Er somethin'

Ah, the joys of apartment living. I used to live in a really crap building and my downstairs neighbor left me a nice note asking if I could get rid of a hard plastic ball that my cats played with on my hardwood floors. I tossed it in the trash immediately.

I wouldn't offer to live around her schedule. I think that's a little unrealistic. I don't think I'd offer a solution either, let her figure that out. Just tell her the noise is really bothering you and you'd really appreciate it if she could do something about it. Keep it short and sweet. If she doesn't listen, then cut off her legs. How much sound can a dragging torso make?
Old 05-27-2005, 11:48 AM   #33
BigV
Goon Squad Leader

Yeah, don't start with "I'll change my sched..." It's a completely transparent lie. You know when she's home--the clanking shoes tell you.

Look, in your situation, *I* would come upstairs when it was happening, presuming it was a reasonable hour, like in the middle of the day, when visitors are ok, and knock. When she answered the door, I would begin a conversation.

Me: "Hello, I'm stacey. I live in the apartment directly beneath you. Could I talk to you for a minute, please?

Her: "Um, ok, is something wrong?"

M: "Actually, there is. My work schedule means that I sleep days, and sometimes it's really loud. I think it's that the hard shoes and hard floors send the sound straight through my ceiling. The noise keeps me from getting any rest, and it's a big problem for me. I know you have to walk around of course. But maybe there are some ways to mute the sound. One idea I had was some soft soled slippers. Here, I brought some as a gift to you. I don't want any problems between us, since we live so close together, so I'm coming to you with respect and courtesy. Do you see what I'm saying?

**steps out of story**

One nice thing about face to face instead of a note is that you can adjust on the fly to what you're reading from her. Sweet, harsh, etc. I don't know her response at this point, but if it's cooperative, then work it. Seek common ground. That's the goal of that last question. Try to get her to see (hear) it from your point of view. You're not being unreasonable (yet), and at this point neither is she. That's good. Y'all have room to work with each other.

Most folks want to please others. You know this, like in your work. Give this lady the benefit of the doubt. If the slippers don't work out, then maybe an area rug. Or barefoot. Or tennis shoes.

Also, if you're set on a note first instead of a conversation, one useful tool for writing such a note I have used in the past to good effect is to write it as though it were a conversation, like this post demonstrates. Hell, print this thread and give it to her. Show her that it's a problem and that you're agonizing over it and you want to find a solution.
Old 05-27-2005, 01:31 PM   #34
wolf
lobber of scimitars

You might want to edit out the parts where we suggested cutting off her feet or killing her and hiding the body.

Actually, you might want to avoid all mention that you implied to a couple thousand of your closest online aquaintances that she's an inconsiderate bitch.

"Conspiracies are the norm, not the exception." --G. Edward Griffin The Creature from Jekyll Island

Old 05-27-2005, 01:42 PM   #35
staceyv
Lecturer

well, I already left that letter in her mailbox.
I figured that it'll sweetly get the message across to her that she's driving me so crazy that I'm willing to evacuate my own home because of her noise.
I personally would resent someone for asking me to stop wearing the shoes of choice in my own home. I also wouldn't pay money for rugs after I just finished refinishing my hardwood floors.
At least now she's aware that there is a problem. If she's nice, she'll try to be quieter. She can at least give me her schedule. I really would appreciate knowing ahead of time when she'll be home. I'd visit my grandmother more often, make plans for laundry, shopping and errands on those days, etc.
Even if she got rugs and slippers, the damn floors still creak from the pressure of each footstep. I just want to avoid being here to preserve my sanity.
staceyv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2005, 07:40 AM   #36
staceyv
Lecturer

I saw her shoes!

OH MY GOD.
She was cleaning her apartment in these shoes.
She had them on this morning. Same thumping and clonking noises making my ceiling shake. I looked out the window when she was walking to her car, and this is what I saw.

Actually, the front of her shoes aren't as thick as in the picture- but the heel and the color/print is exactly the same.

And she never got my letter, because she doesn't check her mail, so I let it sit in there for 4 days, then pulled it out, thinking I need to revise it...

And I've been wondering why I never heard my previous neighbors. I know the ceiling hasn't gotten any thinner. Now it all makes sense!
Attached Images

Old 06-01-2005, 08:41 AM   #37
wolf
lobber of scimitars

You didn't mention her choice of profession.

Old 06-01-2005, 08:43 AM   #38
staceyv
Lecturer

She was wearing black pants and a black shirt, hair in ponytail, on her way to work. My best guess is a HOstess.
Old 06-01-2005, 08:43 AM   #39
wolf
lobber of scimitars

Nicely phrased, exactly where I was going.

Old 06-01-2005, 09:07 AM   #40
LabRat
twatfaced two legged bumhole

maybe she needs the practice walking around in them so she doesn't trip and knock herself out falling off the stage...
Old 06-01-2005, 09:20 AM   #41
mrnoodle
bent

Those are drag queen shoes. He probably wears em to sleep. Offer to bring over a bottle of Boodles and some vermouth, a tape of Priscilla, Queen of the Desert, and a box of chocolates. Do each other's nails. You'll have a friend for life, and he'll probably let you sleep in his leopard print revolving bed AND clean your apartment at the same time. He might want to borrow Arsen for a couple hours, but hey. Small price to pay for some peace of mind.
Old 06-01-2005, 11:36 AM   #42
lookout123
changed his status to single

and the upside is that arsen wouldn't have to chase him around the apartment before he... nevermind.
Old 06-29-2005, 08:36 AM   #43
capnhowdy
Blatantly Homosapien

If you could sneak in her apt while she/he wasn't looking get a few containers of catfish blood stinkbait and carefully administer generous portions in inconspicuous places. Like in the a/c vents, behind the drawers in cabinets, under the sofa cushions, etc.
Save room in the parking lot for the U-haul.