The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Food and Drink
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Food and Drink Essential to sustain life; near the top of the hierarchy of needs

Old 04-30-2005, 12:14 AM   #46
Brett's Honey
whatever

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by wolf
You don't have to go back to lurking. It's kind of like potato chips. You can't post just once ...
This is true.
Quote:
Actually it does matter what the videotaper was doing ... if s/he instigated the stomping in any way that person is responsible for it. Yes, the one who plans the bank robbery is as responsible as those who carry it out.
Yes, many people have been charged with "conspiracy to commit a crime" after "convincing" or coaching somebody else to do the dirty work. And the phrase "unlawful entrapment" (I think) comes to mind.....
Brett's Honey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2005, 09:21 PM   #47
SmurfAbuser
Simulated Simulacrum

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolf
Indeed it is, but under that principle, the instigator is as responsible as the perpetrator.
Not to beat this into the ground or anything, but I think you guys are letting these people off the hook way too easy. I went back and watched the video, and it's disgusting. I don't understand why no one seems to be bothered by the acts in the video.

So is there any proof that there's "instigating" going on in this video? Have they found evidence of this? If not, then in my humble opinion, it's a non-issue in this particular case.

I'm no fan of PETA either, but I can't think of one rational excuse these guys could possibly have to explain their behavior. I checked a couple sites, and it looks like they brought these guys up on charges, or at least tried to. If the investigator was guilty of "instigating," wouldn't he (or she?) have been charged as well? Certainly the workers who were charged would have brought this issue up.

Again, just my humble, newbie opinion, but there's no excuse for what these guys did. Because you dislike PETA is no reason to exonerate the a-holes in this video. Sorry, this video REALLY pissed me off. Thanks for letting me "vent" a little!

Last edited by SmurfAbuser; 04-30-2005 at 09:23 PM.
SmurfAbuser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2005, 10:31 PM   #48
Beestie
-◊|≡·∙■·∙≡|◊-

Quote:
Originally Posted by staceyv
watch this video. Tell me, does it make you want to boycott the place??
I realize I'm a little late tossing my hat in the ring but what does the video have to do with KFC?
Old 05-01-2005, 07:04 AM   #49
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrnoodle

If you want to know what it's like to live off the land successfully, find a copy of "Alone in the Wilderness," a documentary filmed in Alaska in the 60s or 70s. It's been on PBS recently, but I don't know who the guy is. I'll google it later.

Anyway, he spends every waking moment either getting food, building shelter, or making improvements to his food and shelter. Lived like that for years before he finally got too old and had to go to a nursing home, where he died pretty quickly. You want tough? That old man was tough as nails, and as gentle as could be. I need to watch that again.
I have the DVD, VHS tape, and the book.
Old 05-01-2005, 07:49 AM   #50
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Quote:
Originally Posted by glatt
I saw that when it was on our local PBS station recently. It was laughable. First, the film was sped up so it was faster than real life. It was most obvious when he was sawing or hammering that it was being shown at about 1.5 speed or so. Laws of physics determine how fast you can swing a hammer. Doesn't matter how strong or fast you are, two people with the same length arm will swing a hammer of identical weight at the same speed. That's how pendulums on clocks are able to be used to tell time. He was clearly swinging his hammer faster than any human I've ever seen. The saw too. Also, for any given task, he would show 1 step (usually the most visually insteresting one) and skip the other ten steps he had to follow to get to that point and to go past that point.

Yes. He built a log cabin in the wilderness. Yes. That's hard work and it's not something seen on TV every day, so it's neat to watch. But that "documentary" was so biased as to the amount of work you can get done in a set period of time that I would almost classify it as fiction. Shows like "This Old House" make it look like you can do significant amounts of work in a weekend afternoon. It's part of the way material is presented on TV to keep it interesting, but at least those home improvement shows don't speed up the reels.
C'mon Glatt, this wasn't a "produced" tv show with 17 technicians and grips watching him work. The show was patched together from 35 year old home movies he took as a record of him building a home...a life...out of what nature provided in a very hostile wilderness.
Home movies, even with a good 16mm camera, are not accurate for time and motion studies.
He was 51 years old when he paddled his canoe out of civilization. At 82 he finally had to give it up but he was still climbing that ladder to his meat locker and carrying his water from the lake. 99% of the people trying this would die.

Sure it only touched on the highlights of the work involved and you only saw the last three strokes of the saw when he sliced a board from a log, but they were only trying to present a clue of what was involved, for people that haven't one.
How can you get 32 years into a 1 hour show. You have to fill in the blanks from the timeline they gave you. He told how many weeks elapsed within the few minutes of video to build a cabin.
You could also rightfully criticize them glossing over the hardships he suffered but I think it's near a miracle this remarkable record exists at all.

Were you pissed because they didn't show you exactly how the Bat Cave was built before going after the Joker?
Old 05-01-2005, 08:06 AM   #51
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmurfAbuser
Not to beat this into the ground or anything, but I think you guys are letting these people off the hook way too easy. I went back and watched the video, and it's disgusting. I don't understand why no one seems to be bothered by the acts in the video.

So is there any proof that there's "instigating" going on in this video? Have they found evidence of this? If not, then in my humble opinion, it's a non-issue in this particular case.

I'm no fan of PETA either, but I can't think of one rational excuse these guys could possibly have to explain their behavior. I checked a couple sites, and it looks like they brought these guys up on charges, or at least tried to. If the investigator was guilty of "instigating," wouldn't he (or she?) have been charged as well? Certainly the workers who were charged would have brought this issue up.

Again, just my humble, newbie opinion, but there's no excuse for what these guys did. Because you dislike PETA is no reason to exonerate the a-holes in this video. Sorry, this video REALLY pissed me off. Thanks for letting me "vent" a little!
I think you misunderstood Wolf's position. I think she said the person that eggs someone on or plans the act is ALSO guilty. Nobody is being let off the hook.

Oh, and don't give me that "humble, newbie opinion" shit. You've lost your cherry, YOU are one of US now. Bwahahahahahahaha.
Old 05-01-2005, 12:25 PM   #52
OnyxCougar
Junior Master Dwellar

Chick-fil-A beats the shit out of KFC every damn time.

Bojangles is better than Popeye's.

Krispy Creme is so much better than Dunkin Donuts it's not even funny.

Starbucks coffee? Well, I don't drink it, but their Chai Latte and Chai Creme Frappaccino are to DIE for.

Impotentes defendere libertatem non possunt.

"Repetition does not transform a lie into a truth."
~Franklin D. Roosevelt
OnyxCougar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2005, 07:54 PM   #53
Sun_Sparkz
Has Body Temperature

Quote:
Originally Posted by zippyt
I havent seen the video and I won't watch it . FUCK PETA !!!!!!!

You want to get grossed out , got to almost ANY food plant , lift the cover on a controll panel , or lift a floor scale , see just how MANY critters go scurring .
FACT !!!!!!
Why do you think there is an alowable amount of rat rurds and forein matter in food ???
FACT !!!!!

You DON'T want to know what they do with the wattles , feet , and other bits and pieses of these chickens , but just let me say NOTHING is wasted !!!!!
AHHHHHHHHHH!!!
Old 05-31-2005, 10:16 PM   #54
Sun_Sparkz
Has Body Temperature

http://www.themeatrix.com/

From one tree huggin hippie. to the cellar