The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Current Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Current Events Help understand the world by talking about things happening in it

Old 01-23-2003, 04:36 PM   #1
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

Timeline for the upcoming week

You'll want to program your VCRs and TiVos differently for the upcoming week, because the reality shows are going to be pre-empted for... REALITY. I took it from USS Clueless and added my own wild-ass guesses. Just for your planning purposes, everything after the first day may be drastically wrong:

Sun Jan 26: Super Bowl; a nation enjoys a final party night before turning serious

Mon Jan 27: UN Inspections report due, including information that definitively shows Iraq's nuclear program in current operation

Tue Jan 28: Israeli elections day; State of the Union night. Pre-speech news shows UN inspectors departing Baghdad, newscasters reporting in grave tones

Wed Jan 29: Release of and details of "smoking gun" materials and information about Saddam's brutality to own people and solid involvement in terrorism

Thu Jan 30: Reaction of media, public to Wednesday's information; Tony Blair arrives in Washington

Fri Jan 31: Bush+Blair announcement of start of hostilities

Sat Feb 1: Beginning of hostilities; video not yet available; anxious public awaits news but there is no real info yet

Sun Feb 2: Pundits on Sun talk shows explain situation further; DOD press conferences show first results of air war, including the taking out of almost all Iraqi radar facilities and strategic missile damage to the southernmost "Presidential Palaces"

The schedule for the following week will then be announced, but will include:

US establishes air superiority and begins "psy ops" efforts to convince Iraqi forces not to engage coalition forces. Cuts power to Baghdad but does not bomb it. Does not send in ground forces at all; watches for movement. A worried Israel dons its gas masks daily a la 1991. Rumors of Syrian involvement circulate. Gas prices rise but not spectacularly.
Undertoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2003, 06:12 PM   #2
tw
Read? I only know how to write.

Re: Timeline for the upcoming week

Quote:
Originally posted by Undertoad
You'll want to program your VCRs and TiVos differently for the upcoming week, because the reality shows are going to be pre-empted for... REALITY. I took it from USS Clueless and added my own wild-ass guesses. Just for your planning purposes, everything after the first day may be drastically wrong
Most interesting set of events. However the latter part cannot be correct. Follow troop and air craft carrier movements. Necessary troops will not be there until mid Februrary.

When will war break out? Obvious. During the three days of no moon. Must be before June. Military has problems with Summer heat.

This timeline explains the shrill accusations lately from the administrations right wing extremists such as Wolfowitz and Rumsfeld. They need to get you all hyped up. Their attempt to do same with American allies such a Germany, Turkey, and Canada have already resulted in sharp rebuke. Notice the sudden diplomacy to get Turkey to not renige on their promise to accept 80,000 US troops. 80% of Turkey's voters oppose the George Jr administration position. Even worse, Turkey remains one of the most supportive in the region of US plans.

Don't forget. If we do invade Iraq, we must maintain up to 200,000 US troops in country for at least two years. Expect two years of sharply increased terrorism - this time against a country that has not been a #1 target of terrorist - the US.
tw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2003, 06:42 PM   #3
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

USS Clueless points out that troop arrivals after the air war has started - a "Just In Time" approach - makes perfect sense. All modern US wars start with establishment of complete air superiority, and now with the taking out of very specific targets via GPS-guided missile so that there are fewer dangers before troops are in.

Also, they won't want all the troops to ever be bunched up in one location, since they make a more attractive WMD target that way.

USS Clueless points out that 1/31 - 2/1 is the new moon, which the folks in the air will prefer for their first night out... while they can get the best targets out of the way early.
Old 01-24-2003, 06:55 AM   #4
Griff
still says videotape

Re: Timeline for the upcoming week

Time-line if you wish to avoid war fever

Sun Jan 26: - Football avoid all pre-game and half-time celebrations and hope the commercials are too expensive to be wasted on flag waving bullshit. Turn off television for the week.

Mon Jan 27: -expect another "big news" revelation to amount to nothing.

Tue Jan 28: -Repubs stand and Dems sit until forced to look patriotic.

Wed Jan 29:- read the news and the State of the Union speech and remember how easily Clinton also manipulated you. You realize that Republicans actually believe that Marx was right, excess productive capacity must go into war making. You begin to wonder why the free market GOP is increasing payments to folks that farm in the desert.

Thu Jan 30: - Rush to preach on smoking gun that doesn't exist.

Fri Jan 31:- Bush's numbers bounce after tuesdays empty rhetoric, air war launched before preparations finished. Osama gets exactly what he wanted, Oceana vs East Asia. War is Peace.

Sat Feb 1: - lots of good edited video of clean modern victimless war.

Sun Feb 2: - Tim explains how this war makes up for all the shirking and how we now have to shut up so our boys can kill and be killed without any qualms. Too bad my tv is still off.

Last edited by Griff; 01-24-2003 at 09:19 AM.
Griff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2003, 12:35 PM   #5
Griff
still says videotape

I wasn't too abrasive there, was I? Sometimes, I get grumpy.
Old 01-24-2003, 12:59 PM   #6
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

Not at all.
Old 01-24-2003, 02:12 PM   #7
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

One other moment of clarity. Several outlets are reporting that the UN inspection team is going to give Iraq a "B" for compliance.

What they don't tell you is that the UN grades on a curve. If you're from a non-white country, they add 20 points. Hussein actually got a D.

(If you don't get this, just shuddup)
Old 01-24-2003, 02:22 PM   #8
Griff
still says videotape

Quote:
Originally posted by Undertoad
What they don't tell you is that the UN grades on a curve. If you're from a non-white country, they add 20 points.
I'm afraid thats true.
Old 01-24-2003, 02:41 PM   #9
russotto
Professor

OK, whatever. As long as it doesn't pre-empt Buffy.
russotto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2003, 01:55 AM   #10
Torrere
a real smartass

Quote:
You begin to wonder why the free market GOP is increasing payments to folks that farm in the desert.
Explain this please.
Torrere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2003, 07:45 AM   #11
Griff
still says videotape

There will be big drought assistance dollars in the new budget. Some of it will go to farmers in areas that really are droughty compared to their historical averages but a lot will go to places where farming has always been dubious. I'm not a big fan of ignoring reality when it comes to agriculture. I'm generally opposed this kind of subsidy even in areas that normally get plenty of rain. In those areas private crop insurance could do the job.
Old 01-29-2003, 11:20 AM   #12
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

Well, that timeline was wrong. Sorry.

March 1st anyone? It seems a bit too long to wait.
Old 01-29-2003, 11:35 AM   #13
Elspode
When Do I Get Virtual Unreality?

I rather liked your original post, Toad. It went a bit out on a limb prognostication-wise, but it didn't seem too far-fetched. I think what we are seeing here is Bush responding to the hew and cry for solid evidence first. I think the majority of Americans favor Saddam getting his butt whooped, but only if we can hang something substantial on him. Bush knows that if he appears to be ignoring public opinion and going in there like a cowboy, he risks losing majority public support, and his legacy would really suck if he had a mini-Vietnam on his hands. Hell, we've already got the protests, and there's no actual war just yet. Think what will happen if he goes in without a public perception of just cause.

And as long as I'm on the subject...does it bother anyone else that the guy with his finger on the nuclear trigger can't even pronounce the word properly?
Old 01-29-2003, 11:53 AM   #14
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

His handlers MUST have told him not to correct it.
Old 01-29-2003, 11:59 AM   #15
Griff
still says videotape

I think you're right there T. I'm sure I heard him pronounce it correctly on the radio a while back.

BTW Rush is on vacation and his audience prolly doesn't need conversion anyway.