The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Images > Image of the Day
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Image of the Day Images that will blow your mind - every day. [Blog] [RSS] [XML]

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 01-30-2012, 11:04 AM   #1
CaliforniaMama
I wonder . . .

January 30, 2012 Miniature Arrowheads

I was going to start off the week with a "Monday morning" kind of image. Then, I remembered I promised footfootfoot that I would post the arrowheads.

Meet Dan White and his art form of miniature flint-knapping (shaping stone by breaking off chips).

My favorite is in the upper left corner, 2nd one from the left, that looks kind of like a tree.

Quote:
Over the last few years Dan has made over 100 miniature stone arrowheads. He uses a stereo microscope to reproduce the stone-age technology of flint-knapping in miniature. After months of experimenting, headaches, and stabbing himself in the fingers, he has been able to develop a technique where he can make miniature stone arrowheads the size of a grain of rice that have all the same proportions and flaking as the full-size originals. Each miniature takes between 1 and 2 hours to complete.
Arrowheads have always fascinated me. My dad did some archeological digging when I was small and saved a display case of arrowheads for me (which my father-in-law proceeded to break every single one of them on "accident"). When I was a child, I played around with flaking some obsidian, a common material around here. I never got into precision flaking, but can definitely appreciate the work Dan put into making these arrowheads.

Many thanks to 3foot for the suggestion.
CaliforniaMama is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
arrowhead, cracking goldfish, flint-napping, micro-napping, miniature