The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Current Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Current Events Help understand the world by talking about things happening in it

Old 09-17-2006, 01:36 PM   #1
spiker
Non-Newbie Sort

Tancredo Slams Admn. for Arrest of "Dog" Chapman

Press Releases :: September 15, 2006
http://tancredo.house.gov/press/PRAr...px?NewsID=1229

Carlos Espinosa Ph: 202.225.5390

Tancredo Slams Administration for Arrest of Bounty Hunter Duane “Dog” Chapman http://www.dogthebountyhunter.com

Questions Who is Calling Shots at Justice Department; Mexico or U.S.

Washington, DC – U.S. Rep. Tom Tancredo (R-Littleton) criticized Attorney General Alberto Gonzales in a letter to the Justice Department in the wake of media reports yesterday that the U.S. Marshals raided the Hawaii home of Duane “Dog” Chapman at the direction of the Mexican government.

A spokeswoman for the Marshals Office confirmed yesterday that an arrest warrant was signed Wednesday by a federal magistrate in Hawaii at the urging of the administration. Chapman could now be extradited to face criminal charges for successfully capturing Max Factor heir Andrew Luster www.answers.com/topic/andrew-luster in Puerto Vallarta in 2003. Luster, who was wanted in the for rape is now serving a 124-year sentence.

“This Administration routinely tells Congress that they cannot secure our borders and immigration system due to a lack of resources. We are told that the U.S. Attorneys offices in Border States are simply overwhelmed with cases and cannot prosecute all the violations – even serious ones,” said Tancredo.

“Somehow this administration has plenty of time to track down a Mexican drug smuggler and give him immunity so he can testify against our Border Patrol agents,” said Tancredo referring to the prosecution of two Border Patrol agents facing 20 years in prison for wounding a Mexican smuggler during the course of their normal duties earlier this year.

“Americans are apparently supposed to happily accept presence the roughly 100,000 criminal aliens inside our borders – a number that is growing every year – while the Marshals use their resources to track down ‘Dog’ Chapman on orders from a foreign master for successfully brining a convicted rapist to justice.”

“It is becoming increasingly clear that the real problem with this administrations inability to address the failures of U.S. border security policy is not so much a lack of resources as it is one of misplaced priorities,” concluded Tancredo, “I’m beginning to wonder who is in charge of prioritizing assignments at DOJ. Is it this administration – or the one in Mexico City ?

Click below for the full text of Tancredo’s letter
http://tancredo.house.gov/Media/File...OJ_Chapman.pdf
spiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2006, 02:19 PM   #2
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

From CBS news
Quote:
Chapman, his son and brother were charged by Mexican authorities with illegally capturing Luster. The three, who were arrested with the fugitive after passers-by reported a scuffle, returned to the United States after posting bail of their own.

Chapman's attorney, Robert Sanger, said the bounty hunter faces only misdemeanor charges.
I guess they didn't go back for trial, which I understand is common...post bail and get out..
OK, so the DOJ has Hawaiian police lock him up for jumping bail in Mexico, and he "could now be extradited", for jumping bail on a misdemeanor? Is this a Saturday Night Live sketch? They can't be seriously spending our tax money on this stupidity.

I realize all the cops, fed, state, local and foreign, hate the Dog. He's obnoxious and makes a fortune, doing what they do daily for comparative peanuts. He also embarrasses them by grabbing people they can't, because they don't have time and resources to devote to that one fugative....they have other things to do like protect and serve.
But that said, this is just an outrageous waste of resources.

I can't help but wonder, taking this case and the border guard case, why were kissing Mexico's butt? Has tw convinced the administration we'll all starve to death without the illegal pickers?
Old 09-17-2006, 05:07 PM   #3
Tonchi
Victim of gravity

In his interviews, Dog has claimed this is an under-the-table deal between our government and Mexico. I'm inclined to believe he is right because I've heard too much about how those agencies down there operate. There is no death penalty in Mexico, which allows kidnappers and assassins to walk out of jail after a maximum of 30 years, and in the meantime they continue to run their businesses from inside with impunity. They refuse to extradite any Mexican (legal or not) to the US after he flees from there, no matter how horrible the crime or the proof that he committed it, if somebody in Mexico feels we will "mistreat" the miscreant in any way similar to what he did to the victims. The slimeball who Dog grabbed was not a Mexican citizen or even a former resident, he was just a rich guy who was being given carte blanche because he has the money to pay for sanctuary. Thus there is no way anybody can claim that Dog voilated anybody's civil rights, the most they can accuse him of is leaving the country to enter the US without permission and THAT is something which 10,000 Mexicans do daily on our border

His REAL crime? He skipped out without paying off the local comandante who requires a bribe to look the other way.
Old 09-18-2006, 09:21 PM   #4
Elspode
When Do I Get Virtual Unreality?

I'm sure Dog will come out smelling like a rose. Publicity, baby, publicity.
Old 09-21-2006, 11:19 AM   #5
headsplice
Relaxed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elspode
I'm sure Dog will come out smelling like a rose. Publicity, baby, publicity.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Outkast
I know you'd like to thank your shit don't stank
But lean a little bit closer
See that roses really smell like poo-poo
Yeah, roses really smell like poo-poo