The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Current Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Current Events Help understand the world by talking about things happening in it

Old 07-05-2007, 06:54 PM   #1
DucksNuts
Bitchy Little Brat

7.7.07 Live Earth

Live Earth is a HUGE deal over here and I was wondering whether its getting a bit of play elsewhere?

Here's the pledge that Al Gore would have all of us take...

The 7.7.07 Live Earth Pledge:

I PLEDGE:

1. To demand that my country join an international treaty within the next 2 years that cuts global warming pollution by 90% in developed countries and by more than half worldwide in time for the next generation to inherit a healthy earth;

2. To take personal action to help solve the climate crisis by reducing my own CO2 pollution as much as I can and offsetting the rest to become “carbon neutral;”

3. To fight for a moratorium on the construction of any new generating facility that burns coal without the capacity to safely trap and store the CO2;

4. To work for a dramatic increase in the energy efficiency of my home, workplace, school, place of worship, and means of transportation;

5. To fight for laws and policies that expand the use of renewable energy sources and reduce dependence on oil and coal;

6. To plant new trees and to join with others in preserving and protecting forests; and,

7. To buy from businesses and support leaders who share my commitment to solving the climate crisis and building a sustainable, just, and prosperous world for the 21st century.

Australia kicks this off because of the international date line and I am looking forward to it.

I'm attending a few Live Earth House parties

Can we organise a Live Earth Cellar Piss Up???
DucksNuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2007, 07:38 PM   #2
elSicomoro
Person who doesn't update the user title

It's getting attention, but it seems to be less than Live 8 two years ago. Of course, I lived in one of the Live 8 cities leading up to the shows (Philadelphia).
elSicomoro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2007, 07:45 PM   #3
Cloud

I am not flying to New York to watch Yusuf Formerly Cat Stevens.

. . . but it looks interesting. Do you have your badge, DucksNuts?
Old 07-05-2007, 09:04 PM   #4
TheMercenary
“Hypocrisy: prejudice with a halo”

I don't think I would take any pledge that Al Gore wrote.
Old 07-05-2007, 09:45 PM   #5
Urbane Guerrilla
Person who doesn't update the user title

Clause 1 is the Sandbag The West provision of the Kyoto Protocol. Such unfairness to the developed nations is bloody well unacceptable and it is inexcusable too.
Old 07-05-2007, 10:38 PM   #6
TheMercenary

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urbane Guerrilla View Post
Clause 1 is the Sandbag The West provision of the Kyoto Protocol. Such unfairness to the developed nations is bloody well unacceptable and it is inexcusable too.
I agree, as I have said before we should not sign Kyoto. It punishes the US and gives countries like China and India a pass.
Old 07-06-2007, 11:36 PM   #7
tw
Read? I only know how to write.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMercenary View Post
I agree, as I have said before we should not sign Kyoto. It punishes the US and gives countries like China and India a pass.
History repeatedly shows those with TheMercenary's attitude end up losing jobs and wealth to the innovators. Posted have been too many examples. Those who pioneer the new standards end up getting rich from all those new businesses, all those new innovations, and all those customers whose head was stuck in the sand - protecting the status quo.

TheMercenary has simply posted what communists and MBA advocate. Stifle innovation. Put up tariffs to keep those innovations out of America.

Those ostriches who stick their head in the earth fear change - end up creating smoke stack industries. That is what TheMercenary advocated and that is his politics.
tw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2007, 12:20 AM   #8
Gaelic Ninja
Geek

Although if India and China were to both cut their own pollution levels, and actually sign the Kyoto Protocols themselves, I highly doubt the US would continue to insist on not signing themselves.
Gaelic Ninja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2007, 02:06 AM   #9
Sundae
polaroid of perfection

Back to the OT - it's getting lots of press here Ducks.
They were showing clips from Sydney as I dried my hair this morning - I didn't recognise the singer, but it doesn't help when you can't actually hear!

It's been a bit overshadowed by the Diana Tribute concert last week in that you can only plug one big concert at a time, so Live Earth had to wait until last Sunday before the publicity machine could crank up. There's a bit of a Harry Potter night on the other side, I might end up watching that instead. Of course the correct thing to do would be to turn the tv off (at the plug) and read a book. Sorry, Al.

Update: Just checked the line-up. I may watch after all! There are quite a few bands I like, but can see another time another place - but how could I miss The Beastie Boys or Spinal Tap?
Old 07-07-2007, 06:49 AM   #10
TheMercenary

Quote:
Originally Posted by tw View Post
History repeatedly shows those with TheMercenary's attitude end up losing jobs and wealth to the innovators. Posted have been too many examples. Those who pioneer the new standards end up getting rich from all those new businesses, all those new innovations, and all those customers whose head was stuck in the sand - protecting the status quo.

TheMercenary has simply posted what communists and MBA advocate. Stifle innovation. Put up tariffs to keep those innovations out of America.

Those ostriches who stick their head in the earth fear change - end up creating smoke stack industries. That is what TheMercenary advocated and that is his politics.
Ummm... I don't think you know much about me tw. Shouldn't make to many Ass-you-umptions.