The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Politics

Politics Where we learn not to think less of others who don't share our views

Old 07-31-2014, 08:31 PM   #31
footfootfoot
To shreds, you say?

Location: in the house and on the street-how many, many feet we meet!
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanaC
The officer, identified by the army only as Captain R, was charged this week with illegal use of his weapon, conduct unbecoming an officer and other relatively minor infractions after emptying all 10 bullets from his gun's magazine into Iman al-Hams when she walked into a "security area" on the edge of Rafah refugee camp last month.
...and other relatively minor infractions or. ...and other, relatively minor infractions...?

I got stuck there.
Old 08-02-2014, 01:51 PM   #32
DanaC
We have to go back, Kate!

No idea - I didn't write it :p

Really interesting comment piece in the Guardian:

http://www.theguardian.com/commentis...curity-council
DanaC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2014, 02:29 PM   #33
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

That Guardian piece,
Quote:
Gaza: how international law could work to punish war crimes
We see this kind of theorizing often, in both traditional and electronic media.
But the key is the word "could", which means it's possible but everyone, including the author, knows it won't.

For shits and giggles let's say the ICC investigates, ruminates, and castigates.
Israel says fuck you.
Now what, send an officer of the court to handcuff Israel and bring them to justice? Tell them to pick up bread, milk, and Putin on their way back.

Despite all the civilized trappings like the U.N., ICC, and various international do-gooder groups, the reality remains, what you're powerful enough to take and hold, is yours. Maybe even more so today with most people wary of starting WW III
Old 08-02-2014, 04:17 PM   #34
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Oh, and just in...
Attached Images

Old 08-02-2014, 04:38 PM   #35
sexobon
I love it when a plan comes together.

Oh, the humanity ... must've stepped on the edge of a tunnel ... launch another offensive!
sexobon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2014, 05:27 PM   #36
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

A newspaper article published in Saudi Arabia by a writer with ties to the Saudi royals, spells out why the Saudis want peace between Israel and Gaza.

Quote:
The growing power of the Shiite axis is threatening the kingdom and its Sunni allies. After 1,300 years of Muslim history in which the Sunnis controlled the Shiites, this balance is about to change.

The Shiite axis of Iran, Iraq (the al-Maliki government, Syria (the Alawites) and Lebanon (Hezbollah) is maintaining its strength. In addition, the Shiite-Zaydi tribes of the Khotis in Yemen are threatening the Saudi Arabia's huge southern border and are also supported by Iran. The worst threat to the Saudis is the Iranian nuclear race which could destroy them.
The strangest of bedfellows, indeed.
Old 08-04-2014, 08:50 AM   #37
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

Quote:
We're going to do this? OK
Three years ago I'd have been all-in. These days I just can't do it. I don't know where my disinterest in the argument has come from. I don't even know if that's a good thing.
Undertoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2014, 09:51 AM   #38
glatt

Is it because it's just so boring? The same old bullshit in the Middle East?

Terrorists are terrorists and Israel is reacting justly, but overreacting yet again. Bastards kill one of ours, and we kill 100 of theirs.

They both suck.

In the latest round with Lebanon, Israel didn't crush Hezbollah, so Hezbollah counted that as a victory. Now Israel is doing the same thing with Hamas. Is Hamas going to consider this a victory?

What was Israel's goal? Did they find all the tunnels? Did they seize all the rockets? Did they assassinate all the Hamas leaders? Is the mission accomplished yet? One thing they did for sure is drive home the lesson in another generation of Palestinian youths that Israel is the enemy.

Insert Foot's video here.
glatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2014, 10:20 AM   #39
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

Maybe. But maybe it's more of a general thing. My bosses are slightly political at work and I don't lean in exactly the same direction they do, and I just want to figure out a way to get along and still earn their favor.

Also it seems to me that, in life, nobody has asked my opinion about much of this stuff, so maybe I should not be so gung-ho about spouting it. I dunno.
Undertoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2014, 10:40 AM   #40
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Quote:
in life, nobody has asked my opinion about much of this stuff
Exactly, and when the butcher, baker, or candlestick maker spouts off on this stuff, I exit as quickly as possible.
Old 08-04-2014, 11:46 AM   #41
sexobon
I love it when a plan comes together.

Quote:
Originally Posted by glatt View Post
... What was Israel's goal? Did they find all the tunnels? Did they seize all the rockets? Did they assassinate all the Hamas leaders? Is the mission accomplished yet? One thing they did for sure is drive home the lesson in another generation of Palestinian youths that Israel is the enemy. ...
If Israel was a person, it would be classified as a professional victim. There can be good money and, more importantly to some, fame in being a professional victim. It's a trade that can be plied for generations even though the capability to extricate itself exists.
sexobon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2014, 01:37 PM   #42
henry quirk
maskless: yesterday, today, tomorrow

"it would be classified as a professional victim"

Agreed.

Israel shoulda 'got up early and went and killed them first'.
henry quirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2014, 09:14 AM   #43
DanaC
We have to go back, Kate!

Interesting comment piece in today's Guardian (US edition)

Quote:
Late last week, the White House decried Israel’s attack on a UN school in Gaza as “totally unacceptable” and “totally indefensible”, then proceeded to approve $225m in funding for its Iron Dome. On Monday, the US state department went further, calling the airstrikes upon a UN school “disgraceful” – and yet America provides Israel with more than $3.1bn every year, restocking the ability of the Israel Defense Force (IDF) to hit more schools, and to wage total war against an imprisoned people, because of their nationality.

American taxpayers should not be paying for this. And the western world should stop rejecting serious inquiries about Israel’s moral inconsistencies, or allow it to benefit from cognitive dissonance and information overload amid the current crisis in Gaza.

There is a land grab going on. The Israeli prime minister, Binjamin Netanyahu, has shrunk Gaza’s habitable land mass by 44%, with an edict establishing a 3km (1.8-mile) buffer zone, a “no-go” zone for Palestinians – and that’s quite significant, because a good part of Gaza is only 3 to 4 miles wide. Over 250,000 Palestinians within this zone must leave their homes, or be bombed. As their territorial space collapses, 1.8m Gazans now living in 147 square miles will be compressed into 82 square miles.

Gaza’s entire social and physical infrastructure of housing, hospitals, places of worship, more than 130 of its schools, plus markets, water systems, sewer systems and roads are being destroyed. Under constant attack, without access to water, sanitary facilities, food and medical care, Gazans face an IDF-scripted apocalypse.

With Gaza’s land mass shrinking due to Israeli military action, it’s about time someone asked: What is the end game? Three weeks ago, Moshe Feiglin, deputy speaker of the Knesset, called for Gaza to “become part of sovereign Israel and will be populated by Jews. This will also serve to ease the housing crisis in Israel.”

Israel has a housing crisis? After the “no-go” buffer zone is evacuated, there will be 21,951 Palestinians per square mile in Gaza, while Israel’s population density stands at 964 persons per square mile.

Deputy Speaker Feiglin wants the Palestinians in Gaza to lose all of their land. One must not assume that Mr Feiglin or his Likud faction speak for the main government actors like Prime Minister Netanyahu. After all, Knesset politics are complex and divergent. But since Gaza has just lost control of that 44% of its land, it may also be time to ask: does the establishment of that 3km zone represent the unfolding of a larger plan? Is that the end game?
Read the rest here:

http://www.theguardian.com/commentis...ennis-kucinich
DanaC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2014, 09:57 AM   #44
Clodfobble
UNDER CONDITIONAL MITIGATION

So if the general understanding is that no one really has a legitimate claim to the land, as illustrated in foot's video, then the traditional rule is whoever can hold it keeps it. Let them go at it.

If you still live in Gaza, you're an idiot who deserves to die. If you think that living in Jerusalem near the West Bank is better than living in New York City, where there are almost twice as many Jews as there are in Jerusalem anyway, you're an idiot who deserves to die. Anyone intelligent would move themselves and their family the fuck away from that part of the world. Anyone who is still there at this point is driven purely by ideology, on both sides, and they can all kill each other for all I care.

And frankly, yes, if we're going to support one side or the other, I'd vote for supporting the side that doesn't also hate the Great Satan America. We've had--currently have, in fact--far worse bedfellows. I'll reserve my outrage for when actual innocents die, which includes no one over there. (And yes, the children on both sides are in theory innocent, but stupid parents have always gotten their children killed. Better for the gene pool that way.)
Clodfobble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2014, 03:50 PM   #45
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Quote:
Late last week, the White House decried Israel’s attack on a UN school in Gaza as “totally unacceptable” and “totally indefensible”, then proceeded to approve $225m in funding for its Iron Dome. On Monday, the US state department went further, calling the airstrikes upon a UN school “disgraceful” – and yet America provides Israel with more than $3.1bn every year, restocking the ability of the Israel Defense Force (IDF) to hit more schools, and to wage total war against an imprisoned people, because of their nationality.
Dana, Iron Dome is anti-missile missiles to intercept Hamas rockets. The rest is indefensible, Israel is using the US, and has been since day one.