The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Technology

Technology Computing, programming, science, electronics, telecommunications, etc.

Old 07-18-2014, 04:29 PM   #1
elSicomoro
Person who doesn't update the user title

2015 Ford Mustang

For $26K, you're gonna get a sharp-looking ride that pumps out 300 hp and gets you great fuel economy. For $7K more, you get that 5.0 and 435 hp, along with other goodies.

And now, the rest of the world will get to enjoy what so many Americans have over the past 50 years.

Can't wait to see what special editions are coming.
Attached Images

elSicomoro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2014, 04:30 PM   #2
elSicomoro

More info
Old 07-18-2014, 09:13 PM   #3
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

The girlfriend has a '14 convertible with the 300 hp V-6. Plenty of power but the exhaust sounds like a family sedan... no spirit to it at all. Oh, and the sound system is a nightmare to operate. But all in all, a nice car for the money.
Old 07-19-2014, 07:33 AM   #4
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

Quote:
entry-level 3.5-liter V6 gets 300 horsepower
That's 85 HP/liter. Clearly this is a shitty car!
Undertoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2014, 07:55 AM   #5
elSicomoro

Isn't tw's standard 70 hp/L and 100 hp/L for turbos?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 07-19-2014, 08:42 AM   #6
Griff
still says videotape

We haven't had a good tw rant in a while, have we?
Old 07-19-2014, 10:00 AM   #7
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

Quote:
Originally Posted by elSicomoro View Post
Isn't tw's standard 70 hp/L and 100 hp/L for turbos?
Ah you are right. This car may be purchased.
Old 07-19-2014, 12:06 PM   #8
tw
Read? I only know how to write.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Undertoad View Post
That's 85 HP/liter. Clearly this is a shitty car!
In the 2000s, when the naive (educated by advertising) were buying Chevys at less than 70 hp/liter, better informed Americans even bought high performance cars that typically did 85 Hp/liter. Such as Lexus and Acura. The technology has been that standard for that long. Why do you know it is superior with a higher performance engine? Engine creates little to no exhaust noise. How to sell a low performance car to the naive? Increase exhaust and engine noise. Fools think increased noise proves their penis is bigger.

If a high performance car is following a bicyclist, then the biker probably does not hear it. Higher performance means less noise with more energy to the wheels. 70 hp/liter was a minimium in the early 1990s - when Ford, Chysler, and GM were trying to destroy the American standard of living by concentrating on profits - the product be damned. I believe the standard GM performance back then was 52 Hp/liter.

Communist and mafia type bean counters were replaced by car guys in 2000. Therefore Ford has recently marketed respectable products. GM is probably on starting that ten year process this year. Explains why bean counters ignored a Cobalt (Vega) problem that was killing people for 13 years. Marchionne (a car guy) will replace or redesign everything in Chrysler to save that company. Because in 2000, no patriotic American bought from those companies. Their products were so obviously crap that even kids new it without even calculating a Hp/liter number.
tw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2014, 12:08 PM   #9
lumberjim
I can hear my ears

my counterpart at work's baby:
Name:  cobra.jpg
Views: 138
Size:  116.9 KB

I think it's a 2013. It's a SHELBY COBRA GT500. 662 horsepower. he's had issues keeping the wheels from spinning too much...631 ft lbs of torque!!!
lumberjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2014, 04:30 PM   #10
elSicomoro

Nice!

Apparently it has a launch control system, which can be individually configured to help prevent wheel slip. Still, that's a lot o' power for what is basically a full-size coupe.
Old 07-20-2014, 10:48 AM   #11
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

On Friday was J's father's funeral. He was an old time speed shop and gas station owner and long-time gear-head, with a deep love of the old-time muscle cars. As a result, several family members have very serious muscle cars, and three of them led the procession. Two older 70s cars that have been restored after years of work; and his son in a modern Viper with the custom license plate "BAD ASP".

As they left the grave site, they burned out in the middle of the cemetery as a final sign of respect. Well not a full burnout, they made sure to leave no marks but make as much noise and smoke as possible.

We are all against this now, we know it is historical, and probably rude; but in this context it was the perfect statement, and absolutely the right way to say goodbye to the old man.

And everyone had big grins about it. Except for the nutty young granddaughter who is pretty and prissy and utterly selfish and nuts, and believes that her view of the world is the only possible view, and all other views are grimly not tolerated. This lifestyle involves driving a Honda Accord hybrid -- not to save the world, this I'm 100% certain of, but to advance the most judgmental and holier than thou view possible.

On this day, her selfishness included not coming to the services, and only making an appearance at the gravesite. Not in black but in a nice comfortable tank top. Not to sit with the family and place flowers on the coffin, but to stand behind and watch from a little distance.

30 seconds after the burnouts, her hybrid made absolutely zero noise as she drove by; and on a somber day, I laughed and laughed on the inside.
Old 07-20-2014, 02:40 PM   #12
elSicomoro

But see, I think that's totally cool and respectable...because it's not like this is an everyday thing. Like tipping a 40 to a dead friend.

I try not to be judgmental of hybrid drivers...but I lump them into their own category now, along with disabled-plate drivers, out-of-town drivers, etc.
Old 07-20-2014, 03:52 PM   #13
glatt

There are so many on the road here, the hybrid drivers are just like everyone else.
glatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2014, 04:23 PM   #14
elSicomoro

Well everybody in metro DC is an asshole

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 07-20-2014, 05:05 PM   #15
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

After the graveside service of a friend, we withdrew until the funeral directors had left, then took his big block '55 Chevy to do a burnout by the grave. Left big marks.