The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Home Base
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Home Base A starting point, and place for threads don't seem to belong anywhere else

Old 07-11-2014, 01:56 PM   #1
elSicomoro
Person who doesn't update the user title

You have $1500 to buy a car...

...what do you buy?

I'm looking at older Tauruses (though the transmissions can flail out at 150K), Camrys, Corollas, Impalas and Crown Vics. What else would you consider?
elSicomoro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2014, 02:32 PM   #2
Sheldonrs
Master Dwellar

Bus card.
Old 07-11-2014, 03:11 PM   #3
elSicomoro

Not feasible where I live and also not helpful. You're like one of those assholes who answers Windows questions with a smarmy, "That wouldn't happen on Linux!"
Old 07-11-2014, 03:41 PM   #4
Gravdigr
The Un-Tuckian

I for one welcome our smarmy new overlord.

Yeah, also not helpful.

I don't know how you feel about pick-ups, I see you didn't list any in your possibles list, but, even though I'm not a Ford man, it'd be hard to beat an older F-150 for reliability. Also, late eighties early nineties Suburbans just keep going and going, and you might luck up on a high-mileage 'Burban for around $1500 (more luck at around $2500).

Is there a public auto auction (i.e. not for dealers only) anywhere near you? You might go and sit in on one for a while to see what kind of vehicles go through that are in your price range.

I'd say anything worth having on a lot will be over your $1500 limit.

These statements have not been evaluated by the FDA, EPA, FBI, DEA, CDC, or FDIC. These statements are not intended to diagnose, cause, treat, cure, or prevent any disease. If you feel you have been harmed/offended by, or, disagree with any of the above statements or images, please feel free to fuck right off.

Last edited by Gravdigr; 07-11-2014 at 03:49 PM.
Gravdigr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2014, 04:27 PM   #5
Gravdigr
The Un-Tuckian

Also: Craig's List

These statements have not been evaluated by the FDA, EPA, FBI, DEA, CDC, or FDIC. These statements are not intended to diagnose, cause, treat, cure, or prevent any disease. If you feel you have been harmed/offended by, or, disagree with any of the above statements or images, please feel free to fuck right off.
Old 07-11-2014, 04:30 PM   #6
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gravdigr View Post
I for one welcome our smarmy new overlord.
Seconded, move to vote. All in favor say fuck. Fuck. The fucks have it. Adjourned. Bailiff, clear the room.
Old 07-11-2014, 05:10 PM   #7
lumberjim
I can hear my ears

Jeep Cherokee. Grand Cherokee 6cyl if you can find one. The Cherokee might be a bit too snug for you.

But then, my $1500 probably goes a bit further than most. I got that 97 grand Cherokee LTD with 164000 mi. for 1K, sold it for 2K, bought the 99 Laredo with 114?for 2K, spent $250 on new shocks and an exhaust manifold patch, sold that for $3800, and bought my 03 Yamaha for $2300.

I could have kept that 99 for 4 or 5 years though, and it would have been fine.

Too bad you're no longer local.

You might try to find a Kia sephia. They should be cheap, and they are actually a Mazda protégé. I doubt you'll find a camry worth buying for $1500.
Mitsubishi Gallant 4 door, dodge neon, Hyundai sonata.

If you can find a grand am with high miles, but in good shape...

Look carefully at the kind of older cars you still see on the road. They tend to be invisible if you're not specifically looking for them, but they give a good indication of what kind of cars hold up to time.

You still wee a lot of old jeeps, sentra, civic, accord, grand am, Gallant.

If you come across a Mitsubishi Diamante, they'd be good, but will be high miles in that price range.

Got any car guy buddies out there?
lumberjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2014, 06:09 PM   #8
Pamela
Deplorable

I had good luck with The Greaseslapper, a gift car that, with some minor repairs, ran pretty well. Unfortunately, I followed the conditions that came with the car, namely that I give it away when I finished with it, which I did.

Older Datsuns and such Japanese cars run really well, but the bodies rust. Can you make do with a motorcycle? Your money may buy more bike than auto.
Pamela is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2014, 06:35 PM   #9
elSicomoro

I am WAY too big for a motorcycle.

The Mrs has a Kia Spectra, and I'm comfortable in that. The Cobalt I used to have was a little snug, but I was good with it.

I have friends that do my repair work...one of them has a broker license. I have him looking. I might be able to put a little more out upfront.

Thanks for the input, guys!
Old 07-12-2014, 12:15 PM   #10
Pamela
Deplorable

Orly?

Pamela is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2014, 12:28 PM   #11
monster
I hear them call the tide

Quote:
Originally Posted by elSicomoro View Post
Not feasible where I live and also not helpful. You're like one of those assholes who answers Windows questions with a smarmy, "That wouldn't happen on Linux!"
This from the one who responded " too much poo" in the middle of Limey's cute knitted characters in the "what did you make today" thread.
Old 07-12-2014, 12:41 PM   #12
lumberjim
I can hear my ears

Maybe he was hoping that she would knit him a toilet
lumberjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2014, 01:40 PM   #13
elSicomoro

A toilet cover would be delightful!

It's not like I was lying that day.

Of course, Sheldon and I were joking around...I assume most everyone else picked that up too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 07-12-2014, 02:33 PM   #14
Gravdigr
The Un-Tuckian

I can vouch for Jim's suggestion on the Grand Cherokee. Popdigr liked his old one so much he bought another one. I drive his old one now, GrandCherokeeOne now has 225,000 miles (it has the 4.0 inline six Jim mentioned, awesome engine, btw) and is still going strong. Mileage has always sucked (I might get 18-20 on the hwy, 15 in town is about as good as it gets), but it just keeps going and going, runs great, and pulls like nobody's business. Aside from being basically ugly to begin with, it don't look too bad for a 20 year old Jeep.

Outside of a transmission problem, the only thing we've ever done to it is change oil, filters, brakes, and one water pump. It still has the original alternator! Interior is dirty, but still in really good shape.

It really is like the Energizer Bunny, just nowhere near as cute.

Old 07-12-2014, 02:35 PM   #15
elSicomoro

I've been considering that, the original Cherokee or a Wrangler. Mileage isn't a huge concern, and I know they're durable vehicles. My brother-in-law has one that just keeps going.