Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Politics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Politics Where we learn not to think less of others who don't share our views

Old 06-15-2004, 09:15 PM   #46
Happy Monkey
I think this line's mostly filler.

Quote:
Originally posted by richlevy
Since french fries need to be frozen, they are asserting that the freezing does not mean they are not fresh.
French fries do not need to be frozen. Things only need to be frozen if you are not going to use them fresh (ice cream notwithstanding).

Here's their argument:
Quote:
The Frozen Potato Products Institute appealed to the USDA in 2000 to change its definition of fresh produce under PACA to include batter-coated, frozen french fries, arguing that rolling potato slices in a starch coating, frying them and freezing them is the equivalent of waxing a cucumber or sweetening a strawberry.
|_______________| [pics]
Happy Monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2004, 11:42 PM   #47
bluesdave
Getting older every day

As an outsider (Aussie), I am confused as to how and why John Kerry seems to be so ineffective against Bush. Many of you have cited cases of the Bush administration corrupting information, and looking after corporate interests rather than the nation's, and if one believes even just some of the arguments against Bush, it seems difficult to imagine that Kerry would not win in a landslide in November.

Kerry's argument in favour of stem cell research http://www.johnkerry.com/pressroom/r...004_0612a.html seems very wishy-washy to me. Surely he could be making a stronger point. From what I have heard in the media, Kerry has not been hurting Bush's credibility at all.

I have been getting the impression that Bush is likely to hold on in November because many potential anti Bush voters won't bother to vote, and that he has strong support in the mid-west. Is this true?
Old 06-16-2004, 01:40 AM   #48
jaguar
whig

bluesdave, I'm an aussie expat, just wondering, do you think Latham is going to win? I haven't had time to check the news for a fair while now.
Old 06-16-2004, 02:10 AM   #49
bluesdave
Getting older every day

Quote:
Originally posted by jaguar
bluesdave, I'm an aussie expat, just wondering, do you think Latham is going to win? I haven't had time to check the news for a fair while now.
The word is that he doesn't have a chance (much like John Kerry over there). While most people now believe that Iraq was a mistake, and believe that John Howard lied to us, they still see Howard as a strong leader, and while the Aussie economy continues to hum along, it will be nearly impossible to dislodge him.

The only hope that Mark Latham has is if there is some sort of huge controversy that entangles Howard. The die hard Labor supporters all believe that Latham can win, but I can't see it happening without some external influence assisting him. Latham has also made a few faux pas over recent months which haven't helped his image.
Old 06-16-2004, 02:48 AM   #50
jaguar
whig

=(

I liked latham, any politician that feels it's ok to call the prime minister an arse licker is worth his weight in gold in my book. I don't think I have to but I'll post in my vote, it'll make me feel better.
Old 06-29-2004, 10:03 AM   #51
Happy Monkey

Howard Dean on the subject.
|_______________| [pics]
Old 06-29-2004, 10:10 AM   #52
OnyxCougar
Junior Master Dwellar

LOL this cracks me up....

Quote:
When a right-wing theory is contradicted by an inconvenient scientific fact, the science is not refuted; it is simply discarded or ignored.
Quote:
Will it be long before a prominent panel of fundamentalist theologians, conservative columnists, and a few token scientists take up the question of whether the theory of evolution should be banned from the nation's classrooms? Stay tuned. In George Bush's America, ignorance is strength.
Ya'll know my stance on evolution, and that most of the "proofs" provided in science textbooks have been disproven scientifically, and that the age of the earth gets older my millions of years at a rate of 2.1 million years a year...

...and all these evidences are ignored, including by Mr. Dean.

oh, the irony....

Open minded people go to....

http://www.answersingenesis.org

Impotentes defendere libertatem non possunt.

"Repetition does not transform a lie into a truth."
~Franklin D. Roosevelt
OnyxCougar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2004, 12:18 PM   #53
Happy Monkey

And yet, the age of the earth doesn't change a bit for the creationists, no matter what scientific evidence is available.

Are you seriously trying to say that the fact that science recognizes and corrects its errors is a weakness?
|_______________| [pics]
Old 06-29-2004, 12:48 PM   #54
Beestie
-◊|≡·∙■·∙≡|◊-

Originally posted by OnyxCougar
Quote:
Ya'll know my stance on evolution, and that most of the "proofs" provided in science textbooks have been disproven scientifically, and that the age of the earth gets older my millions of years at a rate of 2.1 million years a year...
Hmmm.

If science itself is flawed then science can't be used to disprove it, no? That's having it both ways.

Sometimes I consider the irony of Bush's efforts to smash theocracies abroad while seemingly trying to build one at home. The big problem with the White House implementing Christian doctrine is that they have police power to back it up. Isn't that contrary to the notion of religious freedom? What if Bush were a Muslim? A Jew? A Scientologist? A zealous athiest? Nothing against any of those religions/belief systems but I don't want their rituals imposed upon me. When is it ok versus not ok? The founding fathers already put that question to bed.

I have two small children. I tell them that God created the world, them and Mommy and Daddy. When they get older, I will attempt to explain the method God employed to do so. I find no inconsistency between faith and science and struggle with the assertion that there is one. Science does not venture into the realm of faith. If faith had the discipline to do likewise (e.g., know its boundaries) , we'd all be a lot better off.
Old 06-29-2004, 12:56 PM   #55
Troubleshooter
The urban Jane Goodall

"The Bible—the ‘history book of the universe’—provides a reliable, eye-witness account of the beginning of all things, and can be trusted to tell the truth in all areas it touches on. Therefore, we are able to use it to help us make sense of this present world. When properly understood, the ‘evidence’ confirms the biblical account."

They can't be serious...
Old 06-29-2004, 05:43 PM   #56
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Quote:
They can't be serious...
That my friend, is wishful thinking.
Old 06-29-2004, 05:53 PM   #57
Troubleshooter
The urban Jane Goodall

Quote:
Originally posted by xoxoxoBruce
That my friend, is wishful thinking.
It's not surprising as much as disapointing.
Old 06-29-2004, 09:21 PM   #58
wolf
lobber of scimitars

Their point, I believe, is that they take themselves seriously.

Probably all too seriously.

"Conspiracies are the norm, not the exception." --G. Edward Griffin The Creature from Jekyll Island

High Priestess of the Church of the Whale Penis
wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2004, 08:24 AM   #59
Troubleshooter
The urban Jane Goodall

A friend and I started a little discussion about that site and one of the points that came out was what about the parts that were lifted from other religions? Doesn't that make them just as valid, and true, as christianity?
Old 04-26-2005, 01:27 PM   #60
Happy Monkey

One major problem with the Bush administration is their habit of appointing lobbyists to positions of authority. That's bad enough, but the lobbyists they appoint are the lobbyists for the industry/group that the position is supposed to regulate. Here's the latest example.

A lobbyist for "Safari Club International" in charge of the Fish and Wildlife Service.
Quote:
Hogan's job before coming to work at FWS was as chief lobbyist for Safari Club International. The club has set hunting awards for its members like the Africa Big Five, in which a member shoots a leopard, elephant, lion, rhino and buffalo. Then there's the American Twenty Nine or Big Cats of the World.
For a member to get all 29 awards, he would have to kill at least 322 different animals.
|_______________| [pics]