The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Current Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Current Events Help understand the world by talking about things happening in it

Old 09-07-2005, 08:37 AM   #76
NICOTINEGUN
Resident President

I'm asking the fucking questions around here!

If I had to guess, I would say initially there was nothing political so they had no reason to become involved. It was just a hurricane and people were dying. As time passed, an opportunity to assault the administration presented itself while at the same time providing them with the opportunity to make themselves look the part of the hero. That is just my guess though.

BTW, Monkey, one of my favorite SNL skits is "Toilet Monkey-Monkey Hate Clean"
Old 09-07-2005, 08:44 AM   #77
tw
Read? I only know how to write.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lookout123
... or he would realize [1,297 words] 7 minutes.... [848 words] mental midget... [78 words] 98% of all problems are... [1936 words] because of christian extremists... [738 words] where is Bin Laden?
Classic example of a useful post - it provides the numbers.
tw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2005, 09:29 AM   #78
mrnoodle
bent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy Monkey
Why do you think they weren't?
Sean Penn brought his personal photographer and an entourage of golf clappers to watch him paddle a leaky boat full of equipment (no room for ppl) around. That kind of thing takes organization -- I don't blame him for being a couple hours late to the party. Plus, getting to where the news cameras are takes some doing, too. What's the point of helping if the world doesn't see you doing it, really?
Old 09-07-2005, 10:12 AM   #79
warch
lurkin old school

I'm frankly more concerned and enraged by the preventable death and misery caused by the late arrival of FEMA's "arc of relief" and the lack of urgent, powerful federal response, than Sean Penn's relief efforts. He's a private citizen. I'm not paying Sean Penn's salary and not requiring his accountability.
warch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2005, 10:15 AM   #80
Happy Monkey
I think this line's mostly filler.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrnoodle
What's the point of helping if the world doesn't see you doing it, really?
Maybe if the news cameras aren't there, people like NICOTINEGUN will assume they aren't doing anything, and accuse them of hypocracy.
|_______________| [pics]
Happy Monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2005, 11:32 AM   #81
mrnoodle
bent

So the point is about whether their effort is validated, not whether they actually help the situation.

But warch is right, it's not about private citizens attention-whoring. It's about the government's response. And FEMA has responded poorly, probably costing lives. But while we're casting blame (which started almost before the first body was pulled out of the water), let's give a portion to the obstructionists. They initially denounced FEMA as an evil Republican police-state tool designed solely to bug the phones of homosexuals under the guise of protecting us from Martian attack. These are the same people wondering why FEMA isn't wielding more power now.
Old 09-07-2005, 12:08 PM   #82
BigV
Goon Squad Leader

Quote:
Originally Posted by NICOTINEGUN
I'm asking the fucking questions around here!--snip--
Really? Then you should post them over here, where your language would fit in better.

Or, if you're just showing your frustration at not getting the answer you expected, perhaps you could ease your discomfort by signing off.

Or, I could send you a tape of the Oprah episode I watched last night. Zero political content, 100% heart rending drama. "Hollywood" people, dressed in non-fancy clothes loading trucks (along with and indistinguishable from numerous other non celebrites), and handing out food in some kind of soup line, and doing what celebrities do best: drawing attention to themselves. And in the process, drawing attention to what they want to say or show. But precious little of what I've seen has been needlessly political.

Or, if you're using a semi-silly question to stir the shit and babble on according to your own agenda, then the answers to your inquiries are largely irrelevant. Which is how I treat the large majority of your posts, based on your tone.
Old 09-07-2005, 12:12 PM   #83
Happy Monkey
I think this line's mostly filler.

Quote:
So the point is about whether their effort is validated, not whether they actually help the situation.
No, the point is that NICOTINEGUN has no idea about who has done what, except for the ones the press chooses to cover. I could just as easily ask why he hasn't donated to the Red Cross.
Quote:
But warch is right, it's not about private citizens attention-whoring. It's about the government's response.
Exactly.
Quote:
let's give a portion to the obstructionists. They initially denounced FEMA as an evil Republican police-state tool designed solely to bug the phones of homosexuals under the guise of protecting us from Martian attack. These are the same people wondering why FEMA isn't wielding more power now.
What the hell are you talking about? FEMA isn't Homeland Security. It's a preexisting agency that was partially dismantled when it was merged with Homeland Security.
|_______________| [pics]
Happy Monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2005, 01:29 PM   #84
wolf
lobber of scimitars

FEMA is scarier than Homeland Security.

"Conspiracies are the norm, not the exception." --G. Edward Griffin The Creature from Jekyll Island

High Priestess of the Church of the Whale Penis
wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2005, 05:11 PM   #85
bargalunan
Abecedarian

USA struck by another hurricane : Céline Dion

All my prayers are for you

She already sank the Titanic !
bargalunan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2005, 05:46 PM   #86
tw
Read? I only know how to write.

Quote:
Sean Penn brought his personal photographer and an entourage of golf clappers to watch him paddle a leaky boat full of equipment (no room for ppl) around.
Sean Penn is in the entertainment business. Therefore he did good. Are you not entertained?
tw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2005, 07:38 PM   #87
marichiko

Quote:
Originally Posted by bargalunan
USA struck by another hurricane : Céline Dion

All my prayers are for you

She already sank the Titanic !
LMAO, bargalunan! You know, you're OK for a foreigner!
Old 09-07-2005, 08:06 PM   #88
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

I've got the Titanic beat......only 400 women went down on the Titanic.
Old 09-07-2005, 08:38 PM   #89
marichiko

PFFFFFFFFTTTTTTTTT!!!!!!!
Old 09-07-2005, 09:07 PM   #90
russotto
Professor

Quote:
Originally Posted by warch
FEMA's "arc of relief"
Why do I think that "arc" might just be more like a yellow stream?
russotto is offline   Reply With Quote