The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Politics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Politics Where we learn not to think less of others who don't share our views

Old 12-13-2005, 08:16 AM   #16
glatt
™

Marichiko is right on that the stuff sold at Walmart is inferior crap. Walmart uses its buying power to force manufacturers to lower the wholesale prices on the goods it stocks. The manufacturers have to obey. So they cut corners on the stuff they make in order to lower the prices and still stay in business. You end up with cheap crap that doesn't last.

The sad thing is that there is a trickle down effect. Other stores have to sell crap too in order to compete. It becomes very difficult or even impossible to find any store that sells quality items that last.

My grandfather (RIP) had a toaster that was made in the 1930s or 1940s that still works great today. Today, I seem to be replacing toasters every 5 years, regardless of what I buy and how much I spend. What the hell? I'd be curious to know how many hours wages his toaster cost him. Maybe I should be spending $200 on a toaster from Williams Sonoma instead of $50 on a Krups. (I don't buy the $8.99 toasters from Walmart.)
glatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2005, 08:31 AM   #17
Badgerino
Complex Simpleton

Quote:
Originally Posted by tw
"Buy American" only puts American jobs at risk - protects the only reason why those jobs are at risk..
Much of your argument is based upon a false premise, namely that goods made in America are inferior to goods made in other countries. First, do you know how hard it is to find any of the basic consumer goods that people buy everyday that are made in this country? So there really is no chance of destroying free trade. Let's consider an item of clothing, something that people buy regularly. Why would I automatically consider an item of clothing made in China to be better than the same item, possibly made by my neighbor right here? Even if the Chinese clothing is equal to that made by my neighbor, what do I say to this neighbor if their job goes out of this country because I and other good Americans choose to buy clothing made in China to save a few bucks? Besides, I happen to believe that most products made in the United States are at least as good in quality as those same items made in other countries and often better. So I choose to buy American when I can find that choice.

Once upon a time when Sam Walton was still alive you used to see American flags around Walmart with the indication that Walmart supported American made goods. Do you actually believe that Walmart now gets most of the goods they sell from other countries because they are higher in quality than the same American made goods? I believe that it is not because they are better, but rather because they are cheap, cheap, cheap. It's not about quality, it's about money.

Customer service at Walmart? Have you been in a Walmart lately and found somebody who can answer a question other than where an item may be located? Walmart is not about customer service and if Sears wants to emulate them in that respect then it is a mistake. You cannot successfully compete with Walmart by trying to be like Walmart.

If I buy a new car, it will be one made in this country by American workers. I can certainly find models of foreign made cars that are better certain American ones, but I believe that I can find a good quality car that meets my needs that is made in this country.
That's my choice, my individual choice. I choose to buy goods made in America over foreign goods for the same product when I have a choice. I did not claim that it was patriotic and I refuse to let somebody impose their definition of patriotism upon me. Perhaps this is the reason for throwing the word "communism" out there because I have heard that red flag waving term used lately. That along with protectionism. Isn't it simple to set up strawmen that you can easily knock down?
Badgerino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2005, 12:48 PM   #18
warch
lurkin old school

I dont shop at Walmart because they treat their employees like crap, and I (tax payers) have to pay for their health insurance.
warch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2005, 02:35 PM   #19
dar512
dar512 is now Pete Zicato

I don't shop there because I find almost every one of their stores dirty and crowded.

Last edited by dar512; 12-14-2005 at 09:19 AM.
dar512 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2005, 07:27 PM   #20
richlevy
King Of Wishful Thinking

It's ok to shop in a Wal-Mart. However, if you are not white, you might be subjected to SWB (shopping while black).
I have always believed that hope is that stubborn thing inside us that insists, despite all the evidence to the contrary, that something better awaits us so long as we have the courage to keep reaching, to keep working, to keep fighting. -- Barack Hussein Obama
richlevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2005, 08:29 PM   #21
tw
Read? I only know how to write.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Badgerino
Much of your argument is based upon a false premise, namely that goods made in America are inferior to goods made in other countries.
To make that assumption means one must misread what was posted. My previous post was based on another opposite premise. Therefore you must have applied personal assumptions to completely misinterpret what was posted.

Previously, I reiterated a story of a CT manufacturer who reviewed wages in Mexico. At one fifth the cost, this CT manufacturer figured he would make a fortunate manufacturing his products in Mexico. Some years later, he returned to CT looking for his old employees. Moved back to CT to save his company. How can this be if the wages in Mexico were only 1/5th per hour? Welcome to everything in my previous post. If this story and what is in that previous post do not agree, then look at your own personal biases.

Where American companies don't make good products, then find inferior top management who has stifled some of the world's most productive people. That is where Wal-Mart is so effective. Wal-Mart demonstrates why the free market works.

Why would you assume something in China was better made? Such declarations were never made nor even implied. The patriot does not care where it is made. Free markets econmics save American jobs. But simplistic "buy American" logic will never explain this a well proven principle. A best thing that happened to American workers are companies such as Wal-Mart who use free market principles to attack reason for inferior American products - bad management. This free market principle is why other American companies are so productive - so dominate world markets.

If for a minute you think this says, "goods made in America are inferior to goods made in other countries", then you failed to comprehend why free market economies are so productive. Specific references to a concept called innovation explains why and when Americans make superior products.
tw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2005, 09:09 PM   #22
lumberjim
I can hear my ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by glatt
Maybe I should be spending $200 on a toaster from Williams Sonoma instead of $50 on a Krups. (I don't buy the $8.99 toasters from Walmart.)
that's what I did. I got a delonghi convection toaster oven. then jinx threw away our microwave. i don't regret it. i only shop at walmart cuz they're 2 minutes from my house, have everything, and are open 24 hours. the cocksuckers. if i can get it from a little guy, i will, but i'm not going to drive a half hour to buy the same shit from some other asshole company like target or kmart, either.

I don't have time in my life to take a political stance on stupid shit like shopping.
lumberjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2005, 09:55 PM   #23
fargon
Person who doesn't update the user title

I am recinding my previous statement, wal mart sux

Whilst happily shopping at my local wal mart, I had some photos developed. When I go home I discovered that two of the pictures were not printed or put on the cd. Inside was a note: "We are returning your order without certain prints. We have established guidelines"....ad nauseam. The pictures in question were of me and my wife, albeit in the nude. They were for an ecard for special friends and not for public consumption. How can an american owned company that supposedly espouses american values stoop to censorship?

Note:The one hour machines do not require human input to process, no one needs to even look at them.
fargon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2005, 10:16 PM   #24
Radar
Constitutional Scholar

Quote:
Originally Posted by fargon
My wife and I do shop at wal mart. Its not because we are unfeeling conservitives, and bush lovers. It is because the low prices are very helpful to us. I am a disabled Vet. and my Wife has a good full time job. But we cannot afford to spend the money at the specility stores charge. Just a thought iff you hate wal mart that much, just dont go there.
Thank You Terry L. Bell
PS: We are Conservitives, and we do like Presedent Bush
I could care less where you shop. Wal-Mart is just as good as any other place. I'm more offended that you're a Bush supporter. Even most Republicans are disgusted by this jackass. He's violated the U.S. Constitution more than all previous presidents combined. Recently he said, 'It's just a goddamned piece of paper"

It's nice to see that you spell as well as Bush handles foreign policy (or domestic policy, or anything else for that matter). It only goes to show the average intellect of a Bush supporter....or a piece of toast. They're about equal.
Old 12-14-2005, 02:29 AM   #25
Bullitt
This is a fully functional babe lair

Quote:
Originally Posted by lumberjim
if i can get it from a little guy, i will, but i'm not going to drive a half hour to buy the same shit from some other asshole company like target or kmart, either.

I don't have time in my life to take a political stance on stupid shit like shopping.
Amen
Old 12-14-2005, 09:00 PM   #26
fargon
Person who doesn't update the user title

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radar
I could care less where you shop. Wal-Mart is just as good as any other place. I'm more offended that you're a Bush supporter. Even most Republicans are disgusted by this jackass. He's violated the U.S. Constitution more than all previous presidents combined. Recently he said, 'It's just a goddamned piece of paper"

It's nice to see that you spell as well as Bush handles foreign policy (or domestic policy, or anything else for that matter). It only goes to show the average intellect of a Bush supporter....or a piece of toast. They're about equal.
There are all kinds of people in this world and not all of them are going to agree. What matters is how they communicate their differences. Everything about your post leads me to believe you are a very mean spirited person, and nothing about your post is going to make me change my mind about who I support politically. I would consider a well thought out and intellectual argument, but not this assinine ad hominem approach. Manners seem to be a lost art among your kind.

Mrs Fargon
fargon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2005, 10:27 PM   #27
Beestie
-◊|≡·∙■·∙≡|◊-

Not if, but when.
Old 12-15-2005, 10:20 AM   #28
dar512
dar512 is now Pete Zicato

Quote:
Originally Posted by fargon
There are all kinds of people in this world and not all of them are going to agree. What matters is how they communicate their differences. Everything about your post leads me to believe you are a very mean spirited person, and nothing about your post is going to make me change my mind about who I support politically. I would consider a well thought out and intellectual argument, but not this assinine ad hominem approach. Manners seem to be a lost art among your kind.

Mrs Fargon
Nicely said.
Old 12-15-2005, 11:30 AM   #29
glatt
™

I skimmed Radar's tirad from the other night, so I didn't notice at first his quote of Bush saying the Constitution is just a "goddamned piece of paper." I wouldn't put it past Bush to think such a thing, but I am very surprised to see a report that he said it out loud.

So I did a Google search of the phrase. There is a fair amount of discussion of this quote, but no mainstream press, has picked up the story. Doug Thopmpson, quoted Bush as saying "Stop throwing the Constitution in my face. It’s just a goddamned piece of paper!” Thompson claims to have three anonymous GOP witnesses from the meeting discussing the Patriot Act renewal where Bush said this.

Thompson is a historically big critic of Bush, so you might not trust him, but he is also a critic of other politicians of all flavors too. In my quick internet search, he seems to be a pretty well respected journalist.

If Bush actually said this, it's HUGE news. Impeachable news. He swore an oath to uphold the Constitution, and he actually says he doesn't even believe in it!

I'd like to see Thompson name his sources, and I'd like to hear those three witnesses tell their story on the record. I wonder if the mainstream media is trying to get confirmation of this story? They are not even acknowledging it.
glatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2005, 11:46 AM   #30
Happy Monkey
I think this line's mostly filler.

Capitol Hill Blue is a suspect source. More corroboration is definitely necessary.
|_______________| [pics]
Happy Monkey is offline   Reply With Quote