The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Cities and Travel
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Cities and Travel Tell us about where you are; tell us about where you want to be

Old 07-24-2017, 09:49 AM   #1
bbro
Insert witty comment here

Travel agents

Has anyone used them? How would I go about finding one to use? I am tempted to use AAA. I want to go on a trip to the Pacific Northwest next year to cover a couple cities and it seems just too big for me to plan myself. I think I would miss a lot, so I wanted to get some help.

Or are they a thing of the past?
Old 07-24-2017, 11:34 AM   #2
captainhook455
Rapscallion

Use AAA. I have used them before. I call as the local office is 55 miles away. They will send all the info either by email or paper. I prefer paper myself.
captainhook455 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2017, 11:58 AM   #3
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

AAA used to supply maps to where you tell them you want to go and any stops you wanted to include. Have they changed to a full fledged travel agent who books reservations and transportation?

I suspect any city or attraction/location you want to visit would have a website which would give you more information about all the spots to see in the area.
Old 07-24-2017, 12:36 PM   #4
captainhook455
Rapscallion

I haven't used the weed app lately, but it will show where the dealer's are and the latest prices.
captainhook455 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2017, 03:08 PM   #5
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Giraffes don't use weed, they're already high.

My first mother-in-law was a travel agent, she would book several alternatives for herself then cancel the ones she didn't need at the last minute. She finally got a pilot's licence and bought a plane to avoid airlines.
I think the internet has replaced agents in general but I don't know.

But all this bullshit isn't helping bbro, isn't someone up to date on AAA or travel agents in general?
Old 07-24-2017, 03:59 PM   #6
classicman
barely disguised asshole, keeper of all that is holy.

Use AAA - they still offer real maps and stuff. I got a TON of good info from them for my Montana, Idaho and Wyoming trip. They actually had better maps of Yellowstone than Yellowstone had.
Old 07-24-2017, 05:07 PM   #7
glatt

AAA is great for free maps if you are already a member. Tour books too, with lots of info.
My wife's aunt is a travel agent and she is moderately helpful. She will book flights and hotels for us and sometimes knows a little about a place.

I bet you could get better information by asking the Cellar about specific locations.
glatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2017, 05:41 PM   #8
classicman
barely disguised asshole, keeper of all that is holy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by glatt View Post
I bet you could get better information by asking the Cellar about specific locations.
This.
Old 07-25-2017, 09:38 AM   #9
bbro

I've mentioned locations before and never got any suggestions. Besides, I don't think cellar is going to be able to help me plan a trip "to the Pacific Northwest".

Looks like AAA is the way to go. I checked yesterday and it looks like they have a package that isn't exactly what I want, but has more outdoorsy stuff that might be interesting. Thanks
Old 07-25-2017, 09:53 AM   #10
BigV
Goon Squad Leader

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbro View Post
I've mentioned locations before and never got any suggestions. Besides, I don't think cellar is going to be able to help me plan a trip "to the Pacific Northwest".

Looks like AAA is the way to go. I checked yesterday and it looks like they have a package that isn't exactly what I want, but has more outdoorsy stuff that might be interesting. Thanks
Challenge accepted.
Old 07-25-2017, 10:37 AM   #11
bbro

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigV View Post
Challenge accepted.
This is the one I am looking at - lol
Quote:
Arrive in Vancouver.

Welcome to beautiful Vancouver. On arrival, your airport transfer takes you to your hotel. At 18:00, join your Tour Director for a Welcome Dinner and an opportunity to mingle over wine.(Dinner with Wine)
Hotel: Four Seasons Vancouver.

Cruise the Gulf Islands to Victoria.

Embark on a tour of Vancouver, exploring Gastown, Chinatown and the diverse community of English Bay along with the famous totem poles in Stanley Park. Board a ferry and sail through the beautiful Gulf Islands to Vancouver Island, followed by a scenic drive to Victoria, British Columbia's stunning capital city.(Full Breakfast)
Hotel: DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel and Suites Victoria.

Butchart Gardens.

Start your day wandering through worldrenowned Butchart Gardens, a National Historic Site of Canada. Enjoy a sightseeing tour, including the luxurious properties of the Uplands, the quaint Oak Bay residential area, Canada's oldest Chinatown, the bustling Inner Harbour and stately Legislative Buildings. At night, partake in a Highlight Dinner at Canoe Brewpub Marina and Restaurant, offering homemade seasonal brews on the waterfront.(Full Breakfast / Dinner with Wine)
Hotel: DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel and Suites Victoria.

Victoria, Vancouver’s Bridges, and VIA Rail Canada's The Canadian.

Cruise back to the mainland and head to Vancouver's North Shore, to experience the Capilano Suspension Bridge and its 7 suspended walkways above the forest floor. View towering evergreens, gushing streams and breathe in the fresh, cedar-scented rainforest air. Enjoy a Highlight Dinner sipping a local craft beer or a glass of chilled BC wine, overlooking Stanley Park's stunning gardens. Later, step on-board VIA Rail Canada's The Canadian, for your overnight journey to the world-renowned Canadian Rockies. Settle in your Sleeper Plus rail car and celebrate with a champagne send-off.(Full Breakfast / Dinner with Wine)
Hotel: VIA Rail Canada’s The Canadian (Sleeper Plus Class)

The Alpine Wonderland of Jasper National Park.

Wake up to stunning views with access to the skyline and panorama dome car, topped with a full domed window roof. Enjoy breakfast and lunch on-board, as you travel past towering peaks and glaciers, across the Continental Divide into the province of Alberta. In the afternoon, arrive in the wonderland of Jasper National Park with its soothing mineral hot springs, rugged glaciers, colourful meadows, and majestic mountains.(Full Breakfast / Lunch)
Hotel: Sawridge Inn (Balcony Rooms), Jasper

Exploring Jasper National Park.

Start the day with an informative walk on the trails of Maligne Canyon, one of the most beautiful gorges in the Canadian Rockies. Then, embark on a narrated cruise across the serene waters of iconic Maligne Lake; one of the jewels of the Canadian Rockies (please note that this activity is seasonal and subject to closure as the lake may be frozen). Stop at Spirit Island, one of the most photographed sites in the Canadian Rockies, before returning to Jasper where the rest of the day is yours to spend how you please, with dinner at the hotel.(Full Breakfast / Dinner)
Hotel: Sawridge Inn (Balcony Rooms), Jasper

Icefields, Glaciers and Lakes to Banff National Park.

Follow the majestic Icefields Parkway; one of the world's most stunning mountain drives. At the Icefields Visitor Center, embark on a specially designed Ice Explorer for a remarkable excursion onto the surface of Athabasca Glacier. Led by an expert driver-guide, step out onto the frosty flow, formed centuries ago. After your icy adventure, warm up at sumptuous Chateau Lake Louise. Continue to Banff, your home for the next two nights.(Full Breakfast)
Hotel: The Rimrock Resort, Banff

The Unspoiled Wilderness of Banff National Park.

(Relaxed Start) Spend the entire day exploring as you wish. Choose from several optional experiences, including a helicopter flight over the Canadian Rockies, or a ride on-board the Banff Gondola. Later, choose from a selection of local eateries in the village of Banff during your Dine-Around Evening.(Full Breakfast / Dinner with Wine)
Hotel: The Rimrock Resort, Banff

Quest for Buffalo on the way to Glacier National Park.

Depart for the UNESCO World Heritage Site of Head-Smashed-In Buffalo Jump, to discover how the indigenous people used this 36-foot-high (11 metres) cliff to hunt stampeding herds of bison. Join a local Blackfoot elder and hear fascinating stories about the Plains people of long ago. Later, cross the US border into Montana, admiring the rugged beauty of mountainous Glacier National Park.(Full Breakfast)
Hotel: Many Glacier Hotel, Glacier National Park

Going-to-the-Sun and the Glacier National Park.

Board a private, historic's Red Jammer bus for a journey along the Going-to-the-Sun Road; an engineering marvel running through the park's wild interior. During your narrated trip, take in the stunning views from Logan Pass, before disembarking at Lake McDonald.(Full Breakfast)
Hotel: Lake McDonald Lodge, Glacier National Park

Lake Coeur d'Alene and Spokane.

Continue on to the beautiful shores of Lake Coeur d'Alene, one of America's most beautiful lakes, and arrive in Spokane to stay at The Historic Davenport, Autograph Collection hotel. This is Washington State's grandest hotel, listed on the National Register of Historic Places. In the evening, enjoy a Highlight Dinner at Steam Plant, an award-winning brewery, situated in a nationally recognised historic building.(Full Breakfast / Dinner with Wine)
Hotel: The Historic Davenport, Spokane

Wonderful Wines en route to Seattle.

Continue on through the wide, endless horizons of the wine-producing area of Washington State. Enjoy a visit to Cave B Estate, an award-winning boutique winery. Explore the nuances of their fine wine selection with some tastings over a Highlight Lunch. Then it's on to Seattle for an evening at leisure at your stunning hotel.(Full Breakfast / Lunch with Wine)
Hotel: Fairmont Olympic Hotel, Seattle

The Soaring Sights of Seattle.

Start your day with a sightseeing tour of Seattle's major sights, including the renowned Space Needle with its jaw-dropping panoramic views of the skyline as well as Puget Sound, Pioneer Square and Pike Place Market (watch out for flying fish!). The afternoon is yours to do as you please; perhaps visit the Chihuly Garden and Glass exhibits? In the evening, join your Tour Director and fellow guests for a Celebration Dinner with wine at Ivar's Acres of Clams, for the best of Northwest's dining and cuisine, on Seattle's waterfront.(Full Breakfast / Dinner with Wine)
Hotel: Fairmont Olympic Hotel, Seattle

Depart Seattle.

In the morning, you have the choice of an included transfer to Seattle SeaTac International Airport, or Vancouver International Airport. Guests taking the optional Alaska Glacier Bay Inside Passage Cruise will be transferred back to the Marriott Vancouver Pinnacle Downtown for the night, before boarding their cruise on Day 15.(Full Breakfast)
Old 07-25-2017, 12:41 PM   #12
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Sounds very expensive. Better take a lot of pictures to enjoy later 'cause you'll be too wined to remember.
Old 07-25-2017, 01:22 PM   #13
glatt

I assumed you were talking about Oregon and Washington, not international travel to Canada. Sounds pretty exciting.
Old 07-25-2017, 01:25 PM   #14
bbro

Quote:
Originally Posted by glatt View Post
I assumed you were talking about Oregon and Washington, not international travel to Canada. Sounds pretty exciting.
I was, but I wanted Vancouver, too. Then, I saw this. It would be just me, but I would still be in a group.
Old 07-25-2017, 01:41 PM   #15
glatt

I did basically that entire trip (minus the wine) when I was a tween. Beautiful locations, although I'm sure a lot has changed in the decades since then.