The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Arts & Entertainment
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Arts & Entertainment Give meaning to your life or distract you from it for a while

Old 12-08-2015, 10:01 AM   #16
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbro View Post
I like this explanation.
Probably because you don't have one of your own, other than what most painters have. That's gut feelings, painting emotions, putting feels on canvas, which is really what art is about, but many people don't accept as a real answer. Only you can decide if it expresses what you wanted it to. The paintings you did you weren't happy with, might be because your mood/feelings changed, a nagging problem was resolved.

Maybe this is why I think art critics are pretentious twits. You paint something that expresses your feelings, and when I look at it, the painting will either resonate with my gut or not(at the moment), so there's no way I can say it's good or bad, right or wrong.

Of course there's the whole, it's a Picasso it must be wonderful, bullshit. If a famous artist does something way out in left field, it's ground breaking, whereas if you do it, what the fuck, not following the rules.

Damn the torpedoes, paint on, paint on!
Old 12-10-2015, 04:40 PM   #17
DanaC
We have to go back, Kate!

Quote:
putting feels on canvas
I think that might be the best description of painted art ever.
DanaC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2015, 05:35 PM   #18
be-bop
Operations Operative

Well I'll use the old cliché about not knowing anything about art but I know what I like, and abstract still leaves me cold.
I can handle fantasy art! Surrealism I love Magritte , Dali can get weird, and although not an artist more of a illustrator I love Robert Crumbs comic art.
be-bop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2015, 05:54 PM   #19
DanaC

Some abstract stuff doesn't speak to me at all - some does. I'm not so much for surrealism, heh.

I say that like I have a fucking clue - I also know nothing about art, beyond the fragments that stuck in my head from school art classes 30 years ago. Some pictures I see, I like. Others I don't.
Old 12-10-2015, 06:07 PM   #20
lumberjim
I can hear my ears

what kind of paint are you using, bro? is that tempera or acrylic? It looks like you're painting on canvas. Are you priming the canvas? I can't tell if I'm seeing the canvas not being quite covered in the blue areas, or if' you've painted those white dots.
lumberjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2015, 06:48 AM   #21
bbro
Insert witty comment here

Quote:
Originally Posted by lumberjim View Post
what kind of paint are you using, bro? is that tempera or acrylic? It looks like you're painting on canvas. Are you priming the canvas? I can't tell if I'm seeing the canvas not being quite covered in the blue areas, or if' you've painted those white dots.
I mainly use oils. I do have acrylic and watercolors, but I have used oils the most. They are easier for me. It's on stretched canvas from the craft store. I never took the classes that taught you how to create your own canvases. I should eventually.

The white you are seeing is just the reflection of the overhead light, I think. That being said, I had diluted the paint quite a bit before applying. That's why you can see the lines behind the blue.

There aren't any missed spots......they bother me - lol. It's one of the main reasons I can't use canvas board. I can paint so that some of the white shows, but not with holes not filled in....That's what she said
Old 12-13-2015, 12:35 PM   #22
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Quote:
Originally Posted by be-bop View Post
Well I'll use the old cliché about not knowing anything about art but I know what I like, and abstract still leaves me cold.
I can handle fantasy art! Surrealism I love Magritte , Dali can get weird, and although not an artist more of a illustrator I love Robert Crumbs comic art.
Crumb is a god.
Attached Images

Old 12-14-2015, 05:31 PM   #23
bbro

Soooo, looks like the picture without the brown was done on canvas board. Which means I should clarify my earlier statement. I don't normally use canvas board.

As payment, here are some old ones I did. First three are the orientation of how I painted them (I think. I can't really remember how the second one was supposed to be anymore). The last is showing how I actually hang them on the wall.
Attached Images

Old 12-14-2015, 06:02 PM   #24
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

The second one shows a tremendous variation in texture. Hard to believe it's the same medium.
Old 12-14-2015, 06:05 PM   #25
bbro

Thanks Bruce.

These are all stretched canvas with oils.
Old 12-15-2015, 03:09 AM   #26
DanaC

I love the middle one. I like them all, but I love the middle one. It's like a landscape or a quilt. Gorgeous.
Old 12-15-2015, 07:52 AM   #27
bbro

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanaC View Post
I love the middle one. I like them all, but I love the middle one. It's like a landscape or a quilt. Gorgeous.
That's my favorite too. The more I look at it, the more I think it was supposed to be the other way up....
Old 12-15-2015, 07:59 AM   #28
DanaC

I like it that way up. It looks like the glow of a sunset at the top. And the land (or possibly sea) scape has a kind of roll and crash to it. Could be waves, or hills with a rapid river.
Old 12-17-2015, 01:52 PM   #29
lumberjim
I can hear my ears

This was my senior year final project for my Art Major class. I gave it to my dad, who hung it up for a couple months, but it's a bit grim... so it went into storage... and has been wrapped up since. 1989? looks like the day I finished it.

Name:  bleeding earth.jpg
Views: 101
Size:  97.6 KB

I was big into the environment back then. I had some ideals. Life beats that shit right out of you. I used to want to save the earth.... Now I'm cool with being able to pay the bills.
lumberjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2015, 02:00 PM   #30
Gravdigr
The Un-Tuckian

That's actually pretty nice, Jim.

I like it.

These statements have not been evaluated by the FDA, EPA, FBI, DEA, CDC, or FDIC. These statements are not intended to diagnose, cause, treat, cure, or prevent any disease. If you feel you have been harmed/offended by, or, disagree with any of the above statements or images, please feel free to fuck right off.
Gravdigr is offline   Reply With Quote