The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Arts & Entertainment

Arts & Entertainment Give meaning to your life or distract you from it for a while

Old 10-20-2015, 11:17 PM   #61
BigV
Goon Squad Leader

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbro View Post
I went out on the same trail today with the zoom lens. It's much harder to take pictures with it since you have to plan being so far back. I still got a lot of good pictures of squirrels. It also seemed like there were a lot more leaves on the ground.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bbro View Post
Any critiques are welcome
Since you asked...

I think you're thinking of the zoom function "wrong". The zoom function is not an impediment to taking the picture you want because the subject is "too close". For the subjects that are "too close" to easily use the zoom function, ... just don't zoom. Really. Just take the picture with the wider lens setting (less or no zoom), and voila', your picture.

Now, what I think is probably happening is that you're just enjoying playing around with your new camera, exploring all the features and functions of the toy machine. And the zoom is a cool part of that. So you see something interesting to photograph, you think you'll try the zoom feature, and unfortunately, it's "too close" to easily use the zoom for *that* subject. In this case, pffft, let the "rules" go out the window. Zoom in on something close up, knock yourself out. It's your camera, it's your artistic vision, if the plebs don't like it, tough. Your muse, your pictures.

Anyhow, you're doing great, the pictures are nice and you look like you're having a lot of fun. *THAT'S* the main point, and you're totally getting that one. Well done.
Old 10-21-2015, 05:46 AM   #62
Dude111
An Awesome Dude

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbro
I am not sure if this is the right forum, but I got a new camera!
Congrats on your camera

Try not to use up all the film in one pass!! (It can be tempting)
Dude111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2015, 07:49 AM   #63
bbro
Insert witty comment here

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigV View Post
Since you asked...

I think you're thinking of the zoom function "wrong". The zoom function is not an impediment to taking the picture you want because the subject is "too close". For the subjects that are "too close" to easily use the zoom function, ... just don't zoom. Really. Just take the picture with the wider lens setting (less or no zoom), and voila', your picture.

Now, what I think is probably happening is that you're just enjoying playing around with your new camera, exploring all the features and functions of the toy machine. And the zoom is a cool part of that. So you see something interesting to photograph, you think you'll try the zoom feature, and unfortunately, it's "too close" to easily use the zoom for *that* subject. In this case, pffft, let the "rules" go out the window. Zoom in on something close up, knock yourself out. It's your camera, it's your artistic vision, if the plebs don't like it, tough. Your muse, your pictures.

Anyhow, you're doing great, the pictures are nice and you look like you're having a lot of fun. *THAT'S* the main point, and you're totally getting that one. Well done.
V - thanks for the advice. The issue isn't the zoom function, it's a zoom lens. The normal lens stops at 55mm and the zoom lens starts at 70mm. Because it starts there, it just takes a bit of planning since I can't pull the lens in any further than 70mm

Thanks for the compliment I am very proud of my pictures. I wish I could post them all here - lol!
Old 10-21-2015, 08:50 AM   #64
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

A 70mm lens is the preferred "portrait lens", which seem counter intuitive. But if you think about it, a portrait is usually head and shoulders, think school pictures, without the camera being right in the subjects face. Try it with your friend, seeing how close you have to be to get the same school picture with the 50mm and 70mm.

Now if you apply that same reasoning, you can take a sort of fearless squirrel, or cowardly flower, filling the frame without being on top of it. Then you can take same wider shots as the 50mm, without walking way over there, 'cause walking is so 20th century, plus really hard walking up a tree trunk.
Old 10-21-2015, 09:30 AM   #65
lumberjim
I can hear my ears

Did you ever say what model your camera is?

I have fun with my macro lens... They can be expensive, but you can get a usable one under $200...

That lets you get right up tight on your subject, and you get lovely bokeh to contrast.

I think the composition of a photo is half of the game. Try to keep it in mind as you shoot, or crop after. You want the eye to be led around by the contrasting lines or colors. Don't put the subject dead center. Use thirds and triangles. Horizons should not be in the middle.
lumberjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2015, 10:07 AM   #66
bbro

lumberjim - thanks for the tips. I will keep those in mind.

I don't know if I mentioned the model, either. I got a Nikon D3300 Digital SLR Camera with a 18-55mm VR II Zoom Lens and a Tamron 70-300mm f/4-5.6 Di LD Macro Zoom Lens (BIM).

I got a bundle cause I didn't know what I needed. I chose this model because it looked kind of like the middle ground. Not completely manual, but still some manual features like focus. And because it came in red. Yep.
Old 10-21-2015, 10:25 AM   #67
glatt

That camera's got a pretty good sensor and should be able to take nice star pictures, like of the Milky Way.
glatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2015, 10:42 AM   #68
bbro

Quote:
Originally Posted by glatt View Post
That camera's got a pretty good sensor and should be able to take nice star pictures, like of the Milky Way.
Night photos would be fun Is that with the zoom lens or with the normal lens?
Old 10-21-2015, 10:56 AM   #69
glatt

Experiment! But I'd try the normal lens first. It lets in more light. It would be good for wide shots of the milky way. You would want a tripod though. Do you have one?
glatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2015, 11:46 AM   #70
bbro

Yes! My package came with one! Man, I think I did good on choosing the package....
Old 10-29-2015, 08:51 PM   #71
bbro

I made dis. It's a padded lens case. It doesn't stand very well, but I'm hoping that it will be better than having to lug my whole camera case around every time I go out. It was made specifically for my zoom lens, but I am hoping that it can work for the normal camera until I get that one made.
Attached Images

Old 10-29-2015, 09:44 PM   #72
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

It's in the bag, Baby.
Old 10-30-2015, 04:05 PM   #73
classicman
barely disguised asshole, keeper of all that is holy.

nice
Old 10-30-2015, 04:26 PM   #74
Gravdigr
The Un-Tuckian

I (or it may be Popdigr's) have a really old Tamron telephoto lens around here somewhere...

I said really old...it probably dates to the early-mid 70s.

These statements have not been evaluated by the FDA, EPA, FBI, DEA, CDC, or FDIC. These statements are not intended to diagnose, cause, treat, cure, or prevent any disease. If you feel you have been harmed/offended by, or, disagree with any of the above statements or images, please feel free to fuck right off.
Gravdigr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2015, 12:19 PM   #75
bbro

Some more pics for ya
Attached Images