The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Nothingland
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Nothingland Something about nothing - game threads, diversions, time-wasters

Old 03-27-2007, 08:57 PM   #46
monster
I hear them call the tide

I hope you aren't majoring in anything requiring logical reasoning.

Here's your sign
Old 03-27-2007, 10:11 PM   #47
piercehawkeye45
Franklin Pierce

Fresh, I am your age and I don't think my cell phone is life. I keep it on me and try to answer whenever I can but I too will avoid calls (usually work).

How many times do you call her a day? week?

How long do these phone calls last?
piercehawkeye45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2007, 10:56 PM   #48
Kitsune
still eats dirt

Quote:
Originally Posted by freshnesschronic View Post
Cell phones are seriously life.
You're one of those people. Creepy.

You answer your phone in public restrooms, don't you? Say, do you text there as well?
Attached Images

Kitsune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2007, 12:18 AM   #49
cowhead
halve your cake and eat it too.

ducknuts really really has a point there.... there are a million things you are not reading between the lines... pick up a pair of non-emotional bi-focals and take a closer look. at anyrate, there are some questions you need to be asking yourself about why she's NOT answering the phone or calling back for almost 1/2 a day. and I am not a proponent of jealousy, quite the opposite, but. . . . just think about it, don't act/react just yet.. just mull it over.
Old 03-28-2007, 01:04 AM   #50
Aliantha
trying hard to be a better person

Sometimes I answer my cell phone and other times I don't. Sometimes I return text messages and other times I don't. I was the same when I was a uni student (college student).

If I don't feel like talking, I don't talk and if I don't feel like talking to you I wont answer your calls or texts. This doesn't necessarily mean I don't like you btw. It just means I'm not interested in talking to you at your convenience. I'll do it at my own, or not at all.

Such is life. Get over it or let the aggravation drive you crazy. Either way, it's not going to make me pay any extra attention to your calls. It has nothing to do with age. It has only to do with patience.
Old 03-28-2007, 03:02 AM   #51
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Quote:
snip~ I don't mean to offend anyone, but the rules of the game have changed since your higher education. No more typewriters. We have laptops. So please trust me as I say cell phones are so much connected into college students everyday needs and communications.
She's not a college student, is she? She doesn't have anything to to do with your education or life there. If she answered the phone what will you say, "Whatcha doin'"? Maybe she's got better things to do than answer your cross examination about who she's with and what she's doing.
Old 03-28-2007, 03:36 AM   #52
Sundae
polaroid of perfection

Fresh you're just going to have to accept that she is someone who doesn't check her phone all the time. You've told her it stresses you out and that you worry when you don't hear from her and it hasn't made a difference. Therefore you have a choice whether to keep letting it wind you up, or simply accept it.

I know people (no, not just OLD people) who genuinely aren't ruled by their phones. She's obviously one of them.

BUT. And it's a big but. You can bet your life that if it was important enough to her (new relationship, waiting on test results, family crisis) she would have the phone in her hand all day.

I'm notoriously difficult to get hold of amongst my circle of accquaintances. Sometimes I'll get a call at work from my Mum checking I'm okay, because one of my friends hasn't been able to get hold of me. If I haven't paid my phone bill I'll sometimes leave my phone off for two weeks until I can afford to pay it. It's strangely liberating.

Try backing off. See if you can leave it 12 hours before you try again. Then 24. Then 48.
Old 03-28-2007, 05:30 AM   #53
be-bop
Operations Operative

Sorry I'm with fresh on this one there is nothing more frustrating than trying to get a hold of someone on their mobile and they don't answer.
My wife is the perfect example I've lost count of the times I've needed to contact her for various reasons and because her phone is in the bottom of the huge handbag she lugs around she never hears it.
Once she was at an old lady friends house and the old dear was saying "can you hear that ringing noise"" no said my good lady wife" It was me trying to get a hold of her cos we needed to get papers signed to let our house sale go through..I was driving around the town and phoning everyone to try and find her
be-bop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2007, 06:54 AM   #54
carcrazy
Kinda New Member

Wink i agree

lmao same im like helloo didnt you buy that so you could talk to ppl and now all ur doing is ignoring them ... where did u leave ur brain??
carcrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2007, 07:04 AM   #55
DanaC
We have to go back, Kate!

Quote:
Everyone of you is like "it's convenience, because I'm 50 and I'm busy at work and blah blah" but no you don't understand college kids now. Cell phones are not a convenience to me (or HER), it is a way to be connected to everyone all the time.
Yeep...nothin like a bit of generalisation to get the ball rolling huh? Y'know there is (and has always been) as much variation amongst people of the same generation as there is between the generations. Not all 20 yr olds are identical. They don't have identical values, they don't like identical music, they don't have identical hobbies and they don't respond identically to the world. I know kids of 18 who are a bitch to get hold of, who routinely let their phone power down and then forget to recharge it before they go out....and I know 50 yr olds who are married to their comms. Me? I am 35 and sometimes easy to get hold of and sometimes not. I always have my phone with me.....I call people often, I do not however, always answer it. Sometimes I just don't feel like talking. That has nothing to do with me being 35, i was the same when I was 12. It has nothing to do with my generation and how much the world has changed. The world has changed.....but people are very much the same: some are more sociable than others; people vary according to their mood.
DanaC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2007, 07:36 AM   #56
Shawnee123
Why, you're a regular Alfred E Einstein, ain't ya?

Quote:
I'm sorry I'm so dense but I think there is a generation gap issue...I'm in college and everyone of my friends picks up their fone 24/7. Maybe not for working middle aged office people. When you're in college, cell phones are the medium to the outside and inside world. When you're not on the Internet, you're still connected to you're cell phone. So don't assume like everyone knows what it's like to be in college in 2007. Cell phones are seriously life. I talk to my friends at least an hour a day just planning to meet them wherever or whatever. Everyone of you is like "it's convenience, because I'm 50 and I'm busy at work and blah blah" but no you don't understand college kids now. Cell phones are not a convenience to me (or HER), it is a way to be connected to everyone all the time. I don't mean to offend anyone, but the rules of the game have changed since your higher education. No more typewriters. We have laptops. So please trust me as I say cell phones are so much connected into college students everyday needs and communications.

Yo, Dude! Everyone is texting everyone else that they are all going to jump off a cliff! You coming, or are you lame?

Seriously, I understand that things are different for youth these days. ("Now, you kids with your loud music and your Dan Fogelberg, your Zima, hula-hoops and your Pac-Man video games... People these days have attention spans that can only be measured in nano-seconds!")
But don't be so clingy...you may as well be pushing her off a cliff. Maybe she's (gasp) reading or studying and doesn't want to hear how Joe told Bob that they were going to play hacky-sack but Gina said Joe can't go because he promised to take her to Burger King for dinner and so Jimmy said Joe was whipped and Joe punched Jimmy and Shannon told the RA and everyone got written up..."

Nothing worse than clingy possessive partners; it makes you feel like you're dealing with a 5 year old.

Last edited by Shawnee123; 03-28-2007 at 07:51 AM.
Shawnee123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2007, 07:45 AM   #57
DanaC
We have to go back, Kate!

Quote:
but the rules of the game have changed since your higher education. No more typewriters. We have laptops
*chuckles* I like that.
DanaC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2007, 08:25 AM   #58
busterb
NSABFD

I don't hear well, sometimes when outside and someone is visiting they'll say, phone's ringing. They act like I should break and run to answer. Right so some SOB can try to sell me a tombstone. Leave a message, I might just call back. At my convenience.
Years ago I asked my Dad why he wouldn't answer the phone after around 9pm. He told me at that time of night either someone had died or in trouble. If died, he couldn't help them and if in trouble they didn't need him to get in trouble, so didn't need him to get out.
bb 84

Last edited by busterb; 03-28-2007 at 08:26 AM. Reason: sp
busterb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2007, 09:07 AM   #59
Shawnee123
Why, you're a regular Alfred E Einstein, ain't ya?

:p
Quote:
Originally Posted by busterb View Post
Years ago I asked my Dad why he wouldn't answer the phone after around 9pm. He told me at that time of night either someone had died or in trouble. If died, he couldn't help them and if in trouble they didn't need him to get in trouble, so didn't need him to get out.
bb 84
I wasn't allowed to take or make a phone call after 9 pm. I still live by that; unless it's really important I won't call anyone after 9. Unless I feel like chatting (which I rarely do; I hate phones), or it's my family and I know something must be up, I won't pick up after 9 either.

I'm not a slave to the telephone, though I thank Mr Bell profusely for inventing it.
Old 03-28-2007, 09:25 AM   #60
TheMercenary
“Hypocrisy: prejudice with a halo”

I keep my cell phone off unless I am making a call. I hate cell phones and hate when people are trying to conduct normal business and talking on their phones. Esp drivers. We need to do like the UK and have serious fines for people who talk and drive except with hands free phones.

I can't think of anyone who would need to talk to me in an emergency. My where abouts are most always known. When my where abouts are in question I may turn it on.

I hate the idiots who have their cell phones in the movie theater or other public performance. Turn off your cell phones dumbass, I paid to watch this in silence, not listen to you.