The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Home Base
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Home Base A starting point, and place for threads don't seem to belong anywhere else

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 09-02-2005, 08:50 AM   #1
SteveDallas
Your Bartender

A small commuting rant

I'd just like to point out a few small details to all of the complete fucking idiots who drive in Philadelphia.
  • Turning Lanes. The idea of the turning lane, be it left or right, is that you move out of the way so that traffic that's not turning can continue on. Sitting half in and half out blocking traffic is no fucking good.
  • Speed. Guess what people, you're not on the fucking interstate. I've never been one to religiously adhere to the speed limit, but you just need to recognize that on most roads traffic will not permit you to go more than 20 or 25 MPH over the speed limit
  • Lane changing. (related somewhat to speed) Let's say you want to do 60. (This is perfectly reasonable, because the speed limit is 25.) And let's say most people in the right lane are doing 40 and most in the left lane are doing about 50. Weaving back and forth between the two lanes will not get you where you're going faster.
  • Merging into traffic. Believe it or not, merging from one lane into another isn't a pissing contest and you won't be emasculated if you merge by going behind another car. I know this may come as a shock, but waiting until the last possible minute, hitting the gas, passing four cars in the other lane, and whipping over from the shoulder after your lane has pretty much disappeared, with approximately 0.347 inches to spare between you and the next car, may feel good, but it's not safe, and I'd wish for you to die a horrible flaming death in doing so if it weren't for the fact that you'd take another car full of innocent people with you.
  • Stop signs. A stop sign is a fucking stop sign. You STOP and you don't continue until traffic is clear. I don't know why people at certain intersections think it's OK to just keep on going and make a left turn no matter what's coming.
  • Turns into traffic in the middle of a block. If it's rush hour and you're trying to turn left onto a 5 lane highway out of a gas station, Wawa, etc. with no traffic light to help you, there's two things you need to know. First, it's probably a stupid idea. Second, if somebody in the lane closest to you is nice (but dumb) enough to stop and let you out, that doesn't mean the people in the other four fucking lanes know you're coming and are stopping for you.

Sorry.

Just had to get that off my chest.

You can move along now.
SteveDallas is offline   Reply With Quote