The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Home Base
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Home Base A starting point, and place for threads don't seem to belong anywhere else

Old 11-13-2005, 10:32 PM   #1
justmehere99
Expectorant Inspector

Not a shady character????

Pa. Teen Reported Seized; Parents Killed

LITITZ, Pa. - A 14-year-old girl was missing after her parents were shot to death in their home Sunday morning, and authorities were searching for her 18-year-old boyfriend, who reportedly abducted her at gunpoint.

Michael and Cathryn Borden, both 50, were found shot to death shortly after 8 a.m., Lititz Police Chief William Seace said.

The couple's 9-year-old son, David, the youngest of five children, had fled to the home of neighbors, who called 911, Seace said. An older daughter still living at home and two adult sons were also safe, he said.

But Kara Beth Borden, 14, was missing. Police said she was last seen that morning at the family's home in Warwick Township, about 60 miles west of Philadelphia, and was reportedly abducted at gunpoint by David G. Ludwig, 18.

"The young girl was out during the night, came home, and her parents confronted her. From what we understand, he came to the house," Seace said.

"We don't know whether she has been abducted or is willingly a part of this," Seace said, but he added that until they can determine otherwise, police are operating on the assumption that Kara had been kidnapped.

Stephanie Mannon, a 16-year-old friend who had worked with Ludwig, said he and Kara had been seeing each other secretly.

"Their parents didn't approve of them being together" because of the age difference, she said. "It wasn't because he was a shady character, because he wasn't."

The Borden family had lived in the home in the normally quiet community for several years, said neighbor Tod Sherman, 47. Mike Borden worked for a printing company, and the children were home-school, he said.

Sherman said the family knew Ludwig through a home-schooling network and he had occasionally seen the teen at their home.

Sunday morning, neighbors woke to the sound of an ambulance and a phone call from Lancaster County emergency management officials warning them to stay inside.

Neighbor John Hohman, 40, said he looked out a window after getting the call and saw police running through the neighborhood. About an hour and a half later, he said, authorities told residents to go to their basements and wait until further notice.

"We were really upset. We didn't know what was going on," Hohman said.

Hohman described Kara, who sometimes baby-sat for his family, as "a very nice girl."

Sherman described her father as "very smart and focused, a nice guy."

"They were super people," he said.
justmehere99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2005, 05:42 AM   #2
Griff
still says videotape

We talked about this situation in the parenting thread a while back but didn't really talk about this possibility. Awful...
Old 11-14-2005, 07:03 AM   #3
Trilby
Slattern of the Swail

Sounds like that Starkweather case in the fifties. Boyfriend was a complete psycho.
In Barrie's play and novel, the roles of fairies are brief: they are allies to the Lost Boys, the source of fairy dust and ...They are portrayed as dangerous, whimsical and extremely clever but quite hedonistic.

"Shall I give you a kiss?" Peter asked and, jerking an acorn button off his coat, solemnly presented it to her.
—James Barrie

Wimminfolk they be tricksy. - ZenGum
Trilby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2005, 10:24 AM   #4
wolf
lobber of scimitars

My money's on the girl planned it, and manipulated the boyfriend into executing it.

This is the stuff that Lifetime movies are made of people!

(I heard about this last night and relaxed only after establishing that I hadn't taken any phone calls last week about any situations that were remotely similar, and everybody was outside of my jurisdiction.)

"Conspiracies are the norm, not the exception." --G. Edward Griffin The Creature from Jekyll Island

High Priestess of the Church of the Whale Penis
wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2005, 12:05 PM   #5
cjjulie
Colonist Extraordinaire

I hope your wrong Wolf....but you never know nowadays. If she was a willing participant, how awful for her siblings to have to deal with something as horific as that. How quickly things can change.....it is sad
Old 11-14-2005, 06:24 PM   #6
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Some guys get a little nuts when you try to take away their newly acquired "young blood".
I'm guessing the parents threatened him with statutory rape and he freaked out.
Old 11-14-2005, 06:58 PM   #7
Griff
still says videotape

They got him
Old 11-15-2005, 07:33 PM   #8
cjjulie
Colonist Extraordinaire

Girl is still missing....last I knew
Old 11-15-2005, 07:43 PM   #9
marichiko

It says in Griff's link that the girl was with Ludwig when he was apprehended. Where do you get that she is still missing?
Old 11-17-2005, 10:41 AM   #10
wolf
lobber of scimitars

She has also been returned to Pennsylvania, and is currently being treated as a "victim."

My friend who is a supervisor with CYS agrees with my theory.

"Conspiracies are the norm, not the exception." --G. Edward Griffin The Creature from Jekyll Island

High Priestess of the Church of the Whale Penis
wolf is offline   Reply With Quote