The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Health
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Health Keeping your body well enough to support your head

Old 09-08-2012, 05:51 PM   #31
monster
I hear them call the tide

Just go on youtube to find demonstrations of how to do stuff. i really really don't mean to be critical and/or/put you off, but I think you'll put yourself off if you start out too hard.....
Old 09-08-2012, 05:54 PM   #32
monster

and what bbro said

Sadly, i found I had to pay money i could ill afford to make me do stuff. i have plenty of equipment here. Do I use it? no. i joined a cheap place... and didn't go. i joined an expensive place with a spa/whirlpool I love....... bingo! you need to find your reward. Bbro has stickers. What would give you a buzz? just to kickstart?
Old 09-08-2012, 06:10 PM   #33
Razzmatazz13
Vicariously, I live...

Sorry monster, I didn't mean to imply that you were being a big meanie or anything. I just felt dumb for not noticing the info you pointed out on the website. I'm glad for the help, I really don't want to do anything crazy to start out with because I won't be able to continue it (such as doing the workout that I did which set me back a week because I couldn't move after.)

I used to pay for a really nice 24 hr gym back home, paid for it for 2 years and I went... I dunno... maybe 20 times? Of course this was when I lived with my parents and had hardly any bills and my own paycheck so maybe it would be different now, but I just don't want to risk it. I think I have access to something like 3 gyms for free (2 big gyms on base and 1 small one in our community) but that always sets anxiety on me like,

well if I go to the gym then I'll need gym clothes so I should go buy some of that and I dunno if it's in the budget, and if I get clothes I should probably get sneakers because mine are very worn at this point and I don't want to mess up my ankles again and what sort of clothes should I get because I'd like to be comfortable IE shorts and tank top but I don't want anyone to see me in shorts and a tank top so what would I wear to walk over to get to the gym oh well maybe I should just get like some tshirts and work out pants even though that would probably be hot and ew it's all humid and gross outside (and probably raining because I'm in NC and it's always raining) so now I don't want to walk to the gym anymore... ooh.. let's just see what's on the cellar instead

So for now I just want to do something I can do at home, maybe if I lose a little weight and start feeling more comfortable about it I can start going to the little gym across the street. As far as motivation goes, my husband is deployed overseas for the next 6-9 months... I'd really like to lose a noticeable amount of weight while he's gone. He worries about me a lot since he's aware of all the diabetes and other medical issues my family has gone through, so I'd like to take this time to actually do something about it and start getting healthier. I've got nothing but free time and a deadline to use, so why not?
Old 09-08-2012, 06:17 PM   #34
monster

OK so look and see what's free on Craig's list (stepper, treadmill, whatever), then set up the celar in front of it.

And I didn't mean to imply you should spend money, I meant to imply that you need to find yourself a reward for each workout.

Mine is the whirlpool, bbro's is stickers on the chart. it doesn't matter what it is, but it will make a huge difference if you find something that you only allow yourself to enjoy once you've worked out. Suddenly there will be fewer excuses.....
Old 09-08-2012, 06:58 PM   #35
Lola Bunny
Junior Master Dwellar

I don't have time read everything yet so I'll apologize first if anyone gets offended for any reason. My comment is for Razz's sake at the moment and not directed at anyone...

Razz, I think you can do that workout just fine. Don't let anything discourage you. If I can do the Insanity workout when I was out of shape, you too can do this workout. I'll tell you why later...because I gotta run now. Sorry, I really should reply when I have more time but I don't want you to think you can't do it. You really can. I'll get back to this post in a few hours. Hang in there, Razz. Believe in yourself.
Lola Bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 07:22 PM   #36
monster

I disagree. I think you can do it eventually, but not right now. And If the first day (which was incomplete) rendered you incapacitated for 4 days, the facts appear to back me up.
Old 09-08-2012, 10:39 PM   #37
sexobon
I love it when a plan comes together.

Consider looking for an exercise program modeled after your husband's military physical fitness regimen so you can easily work out together when he returns. You're obviously not going to exercise at the same level; but, he gets his exercise at work anyway. He'll probably enjoy sometimes accompanying you in an easy (for him) workout just for seeing you improving your physical fitness level. Local places to start searching for info on military styled, in-home beginner programs would be the Activities Director at a base gym and the Community Services office (online you can check out its national website http://www.usmc-mccs.org/healthpromo...smid=6&ssmid=1 for some Exercise Program Information). If you can't find anything official at your base, there are unofficial military (branch specific) based exercise programs online including some adjusted for beginners. Perhaps you can get a local recommendation for one of them.
sexobon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 11:14 PM   #38
Razzmatazz13
Vicariously, I live...

Lola, thanks for the encouragement even though I happen to agree with monster for now... but I still await to hear your reply later.

monster, I see what you're saying with the rewards thing, I just haven't really found one yet that works for me I guess. Even though day 1 was clearly not the way to start out, I felt much better having just gotten off my ass and accomplished it in the first place. Right now, THAT is my reward. I am mostly healed at this point, so I think I'll try again tomorrow with something much lighter/scaled back if I can find it.

sexobon, I started working out with hubs before he joined and was just starting out with workouts, it got me really discouraged really fast because he improved and dropped weight so quickly while I... didn't.

I feel like this thread has just become a ton of excuses from me for everything you all are suggesting, ugh. I don't mean to be that way, I just feel like I should explain what all lead me to this point in the first place.
Old 09-08-2012, 11:56 PM   #39
sexobon
I love it when a plan comes together.

What is it that a life coach; or, psychologist could help you learn about your situation that you don't already know?
sexobon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 10:41 AM   #40
monster

Before you work out TODAY (), Razz, make sure to warm up properly. Start really slowly, walking in place, slowly take it up to a march and add arms. after five minutes or so, start adding some reaches and sligh lunges or squats just to get everything truly ready to face whatever workout you decide to throw at it. Good luck. I'll post you a special sticker here if you achieve a workout you are pleased with.
Old 09-09-2012, 11:43 AM   #41
Lola Bunny
Junior Master Dwellar

WARNING: extremely long post...

Razz, I was so gungho about giving you tips and pointers until I saw that you decided to give up. Although I was disappointed, I decided not to give up on you and went ahead with my plan this morning to do the “Shredded for Summer.” I figured unless I’ve done it, I wouldn’t know exactly what I’m talking about.

Okay, a quick fitness lesson. You want fast fat loss, you work the big muscles on your body, which are your quads, your butt, your back, and your chest. The theory is that after a workout, your muscle breakdown, and it needs energy to recuperate. Therefore, your body will continue to consume calories throughout the day even after you’re finished working out.

Let’s look at the exercises in this workout: Squat, Lunge, Push Up, Squat Jump, Hop Scotch, and Baby Burpee. With the exception ‘hop scotch,’ all the exercises work your butt, quads, hamstrings, chest, back, and a bonus core (abs). The ‘hop scotch’ is a great cardio exercise. So is the baby burpee.

Okay, I don’t know what’s your fitness level is, but you do. What’s even better is that you’ve done the first workout, so you know what you can and cannot do.

Squat and push-up, it says to do 25 reps or as many as possible before a rest is needed – whichever comes first.
Hop scotch, it says to do 30 seconds of max effort.

The goal here is to work your muscles and keep the heart beating for a good cardio workout. Squats, don’t go down as deep, just as much as you could. Go down farther when you’ve become stronger. Push-ups, just do as many as you could and as they say, as many as possible. And stick with girlie style. You don’t even have to go down that deep, just enough to work your muscles. Who says you HAVE TO do 25 reps? It sure didn’t. Do as much as possible to your strength. Hop scotch, if you watched the video, the jump is pretty far. Don’t do that unless you could. This morning, my jumps were very close, just a foot apart or so. Shameful to admit? Not really, I got a good workout, who cares what others can do. I was able to jump for 30 seconds, but if you’re exhausted in 15, 20 seconds, stop. Or just jump slower and closer to be able to last the 30 seconds. The goal here is to have a good workout to your body’s capability. You can do more as you get stronger. This is YOUR workout, follow your body’s ability.

I know I’m being lengthy, but here’s a short example. In ‘Insanity,’ there’s the knee jump exercise. You jump and pull your knees up as high as possible, and everyone in the dvd was had their quads at least parallel to the floor. Me? I was hopping like a bunny rabbit. Feel barely off the floor and knees just bent. But hey, I was in my own home, so who cares. Eventually, I was able to jump up and pull my knees like those people in the dvd. It wasn’t done in a day or two, or a week, but I eventually did it.

In the website, the ‘Shredded for Summer’ workout, right above the WARM UP, it lists the 6 exercises in red. If you click on it, it directs you to an instructional youtube video. You can modify it to your level. For example, the important thing about the lunge is have your knee above your ankle and not past it. But you do not have go down that far.

That’s why I said, “Do your best, and forget the rest.” This is YOUR workout, do what you can and become stronger from there. You said you were only able to do 2 rounds the first time you did it? I say that is WONDERFUL!! Give yourself a pat on the back to even have done it. If you follow the plan, by next week, maybe you could do 3 rounds, and eventually, you’ll get four. By then, you would’ve been toner and stronger and not realize it.
Old 09-09-2012, 11:45 AM   #42
Lola Bunny
Junior Master Dwellar

The website said to warm-up for 3-5 minutes before working out. I recommend putting on 2 songs and walk in place, do jumping jacks, mirco squats to warm the quads, etc. I decided to go for a 15 mins jog. Do whatever you please.
Old 09-09-2012, 06:50 PM   #43
Lola Bunny
Junior Master Dwellar

Razz: If you decided that an intense workout is not for you but you still want to workout at home, I have Jillian Michaels's 30 Day Shred and Extreme Shed Shred. Each dvd has two levels and within each level there's an advance and beginner modification. I'm more than happy to send you copies of these if you don't mind giving me your addy. Just pm me if you might like them.

Whatever you choose to do, good luck. I wish you success on your journey to better health. It seems like there are lots of people with their own experiences in fitness. Just ask and I'm sure someone's experience could help you.
Old 09-09-2012, 08:09 PM   #44
monster

Razz, did you earn the special sticker??? hmmm?????

Razzie........

What do you like, Razz? What can we tempt you with? Do you like necklaces? My daughter says all women like necklaces (I don't but then I don't like shoes either.....)

We need to find your Achiles Heel....
Old 09-10-2012, 12:29 PM   #45
Lola Bunny
Junior Master Dwellar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Razzmatazz13 View Post
sexobon, I started working out with hubs before he joined and was just starting out with workouts, it got me really discouraged really fast because he improved and dropped weight so quickly while I... didn't.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Razzmatazz13 View Post
As far as motivation goes, my husband is deployed overseas for the next 6-9 months... I'd really like to lose a noticeable amount of weight while he's gone.
There's something that I noticed. Not only society has double standards, the universe does too. My sister only has to walk 30 mins/day and portion control her meals, and she loses weight. A friend eats less, and she loses weight. My friend does the stair climber for a week, and she loses an inch off her thigh. Me? I jog 30 mins 6 days/wk and eat less. All I'd lose is barely 1/5 lb in a week. If I really noticeable want to lose weight, I'd have to do intense exercise and cut out all starchy carbs and sweets/junk food. Basically, eat like the diet in the gymjunkies website. I'm only telling you about myself to show you that it's okay not to lose weight quickly. If you can't lose weight fast, maybe you should concentrate on exercising to feel better and for better health. You've got 6-9 months. If you just exercise regularly and eat right, not only will you feel good, you'll look good too.

Razz, I know you probably thinking I'm talking in cliches, but honestly, I'm speaking with sincerity and experience.

Do you have internet at home? If you do (don't want to assume), you could check out these exercise shows in Hulu.com. You can exercise in the privacy of your home and not have to pay for workout dvds. If you wish, you can check these out:

Gaiam's Wake Up Workout
Get Fit, Stay Fit
Fabulously Fit Moms

To be honest, I've never tried these. And the drawbacks with Hulu is that there are commercials.