Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Health
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Health Keeping your body well enough to support your head

Old 10-11-2004, 03:19 PM   #1
Kitsune
still eats dirt

A Deafening Silence

"Why do you have earplugs in your glovebox?"

I get asked that, a lot, and I'm amazed at how few people use them when they're needed. How come concerts are so f'ing loud these days? Why is the music at a club turned up so high? Its got to be bad when you jam earplugs in and suddenly the music sounds, well, normal. The tones even sound like they should, especially at a concert. Shit, I could even understand what The Nuge was trying to sing!

But few people seem to wear them. How can bartenders, night after night, continue to endure the noise? Even when the sound isn't enjoyable, like working with a wood chipper, etc, people still won't wear 'em. And what happens to all these people on Harleys with the chopped-up exhaust?

I already have a bit of tinnitus (slight ringing in the ears heard in very quiet places, it makes for an unusually noisy silence) and I don't want anymore of it. Anyone else got it? I'm curious to hear from frequent concert-goers that don't wear plugs to find out what it has done to them.
Kitsune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2004, 03:31 PM   #2
Pie
Gone and done

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kitsune
Anyone else got it? I'm curious to hear from frequent concert-goers that don't wear plugs to find out what it has done to them.
I got tinnitus from a dance I went to. In 6th grade.
Sucks. Now I pretty much have to have a fan or somthing going at night, or I can't sleep. I should have sued someone.

Yes, I do carry earplugs (in my purse) and have used them as required.
- Pie ("What? Speak up, sonny!")
Old 10-11-2004, 07:16 PM   #3
Griff
still says videotape

Yep got ringing. I use ear plugs for all power equipment and pretty much avoid any unbearably loud music venues. We went to a dance club a while back, never again. These dopes are worried about a little cigarette smoke when there is blood coming out of the bartenders ears... weird.
Old 10-11-2004, 07:54 PM   #4
wolf
lobber of scimitars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kitsune
I'm curious to hear from frequent concert-goers that don't wear plugs to find out what it has done to them.
Eh?? What was that again??

"Conspiracies are the norm, not the exception." --G. Edward Griffin The Creature from Jekyll Island

High Priestess of the Church of the Whale Penis
wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2004, 08:21 PM   #5
Kitsune
still eats dirt

Eh?? What was that again??

This is a message board! If your vision is going bad, you suffer from different bad habits entirely. :p
Old 10-11-2004, 08:23 PM   #6
wolf
lobber of scimitars

Interesting. Now that you mention it my onset of puberty and need for corrective lenses do seem to have coincided ...

"Conspiracies are the norm, not the exception." --G. Edward Griffin The Creature from Jekyll Island

High Priestess of the Church of the Whale Penis
wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2004, 08:24 PM   #7
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

I don't even remember what quiet sounded like. I find the tinnitus seems to vary with blood pressure, louder as I get more active, but it's more annoying when I'm less active. I try to have something like the radio or TV going but rarely paying attention to them.
I vividly remember being dragged out of line at the Spectrum(Ozzy bit the bat), because they were suspicious of the bulge in my jacket breast pocket.
When they found out they were ear plugs, I was openly ridiculed by the rent-a-cops. "Hey Harry, this guy's got ear plugs, har, har, har." I'd have decked him if I was clean.
Old 10-12-2004, 06:46 AM   #8
Cyber Wolf
As stable as a ring of PU-239

Location: On a huge rock covered in water, highly advanced moss and 7 billion parasites
I've had that high pitched ringing come and go usually following a long interval of constant high decibels, like at clubs and concerts, but it never stayed more than a few hours. Occasionally it'll appear out of nowhere with no noise to bring it on then fade again in a few minutes and be compeltely gone. Is tinnitus only permanent or can it ebb and flow?

"I don't see why it matters what is written. Not when it's about people. It can always be crossed out." ~Adam Young, Good Omens
Cyber Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2004, 07:06 AM   #9
Clodfobble
UNDER CONDITIONAL MITIGATION

Tinnitus is permanent. Everyone gets a little ringing in their ears on occasion.
Clodfobble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2004, 08:07 AM   #10
glatt

Younger people won't consider hearing loss until they experience it, and then it's too late. You can tell them about it, but they won't believe you. If your ears ring after a concert, it means you lost some hearing that night. It may take years before you notice it, but that doesn't mean it's not happening.

I'm 37. I am just beginning to notice very slight hearing loss, and my ears ring more than they used to when I was young. Whenever I go to concerts, clubs, etc. (which is 2-4 times per year) I wear ear plugs. The music actually sounds better, and you still feel it in your gut. I also wear ear plugs when I mow the lawn or use any power tools. I've been very careful for the last 5 years or so. I wish I was careful before then.

When walking around on the sidewalks downtown, there are always emergency vehicles zooming around with their sirens blaring. They are loud enough to cause pain to pedestrians. I used to ignore it and wait the ten seconds or so for them to drive past, but now I stick my fingers in my ears. Nobody else does, except kids. If kids are sticking fingers in their ears, it means it's too damn loud. Everyone else is just trying to be too macho.

A lot of it is just getting to the point of maturity where I don't feel self consious anymore. When I was a teenager, I wouldn't wear bulky coats in the winter time, because they didn't seem "cool." Now I'd rather be warm. I'd also rather be able to hear.
glatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2004, 04:42 AM   #11
Hylian
Lord Of The Bunnies

Earplugs

I was wondering if someone here would be able to give me the reference to some good earplugs to wear when studying at home. I want to block out as much sound as possible.
I am currently considering the Sensaphonics ER-20 Earplugs (http://www.sensaphonics.com/er20.html). Do you know any other good, reusable and comfortable earplugs with a higher noise-reduction rate?

Also, what NR rating would you consider to be sufficient for flights, etc?

Thanks!
Hylian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2004, 06:46 AM   #12
Beestie
-◊|≡·∙■·∙≡|◊-

Good earplugs: Speedo makes some gel silicone earplugs that work great. Target sells them sometimes but just order them online.

I just tried the earplug style referenced in your link - I stuck them in, determined there was no way they would ever work and pitched 'em in the wastebucket - another $8.00± down the drain.

Silicone plugs are the way to go, imho - just don't shove them in too far. Speedo isn't the only brand, either - there's another one more widely available but the silicone is much softer - almost too soft - the Speedo ones are relatively firm which seems to suit me.
Old 11-17-2004, 07:42 AM   #13
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

The ER-20 part is the hint - those are rebadged Etymotics earplugs, which are very pro and are meant to reduce sound across the whole frequency spectrum, so it still sounds natural. B, you have to insert them FAR into your ear canal in order for them to work properly...

For flights, a few companies have developed noise cancelling technology headphones that clear out the low hum of the engines. Don't have any experience with those, but people rave about them.
Undertoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2004, 07:46 PM   #14
flippant
*shameless....so stop trying so hard....*-me

Wow...thnx, wasn't sure what that was. I wonder then why my hearing (outside of those rare ringing occurences) is exceptional? Kitsune do you normally hear ok too?
Old 11-17-2004, 09:41 PM   #15
Kitsune
still eats dirt

Without a hearing test, I couldn't say if my hearing is normal, but I assume it is, as in day to day activity I'm just fine. I still have a bit of a ring in silent rooms and it is often made worse with alcohol. I think its a blood pressure thing.