The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Home Base
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Home Base A starting point, and place for threads don't seem to belong anywhere else

Old 10-29-2010, 10:25 PM   #1
Tulip
Professor

I'm stupid...

I gave my sister's SS# out to a telemarketer. I believed it was a rep from BOA, asking to join something, ID protection or some reward program. Anyways, been several weeks and still no membership packet. Now I'm worried. What can an identity thief do with a SS#? Does anyone know what number or where I should call to see if any damage has been done? Yes, I was foolish to give out the SS# out in the first place so lecture needed.
Tulip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2010, 10:35 PM   #2
Clodfobble
UNDER CONDITIONAL MITIGATION

Go to www.annualcreditreport.com. From there you should be able to view each of her three major credit reports for free, assuming that you haven't viewed them for free within the last year. If there's crazy stuff on there you didn't authorize--like a credit card she doesn't actually have, or a car loan for a car she didn't buy--you can use the information from there to begin the process of canceling that account and prove it wasn't her. You can also put a "fraud alert" on each of the credit reports, which will make it much harder for any loan/credit card to be taken out under her social security number for awhile.
Clodfobble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2010, 02:18 PM   #3
Tulip
Professor

Thanks, Clod!
Old 10-31-2010, 02:31 PM   #4
Gravdigr
The Un-Tuckian

Oh, you're not stupid. You just got talked into something. Remember, these people do this every day all day. They're professionals. They are called conmen (or conwomen), and the con is from "confidence". They gain your confidence, then you feel better giving them what they're looking for, info. And, now sis may or may not be burned.

You're not stupid, it happens to the smartest people in the world.

And the cutest.

These statements have not been evaluated by the FDA, EPA, FBI, DEA, CDC, or FDIC. These statements are not intended to diagnose, cause, treat, cure, or prevent any disease. If you feel you have been harmed/offended by, or, disagree with any of the above statements or images, please feel free to fuck right off.
Gravdigr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2010, 07:27 PM   #5
tw
Read? I only know how to write.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tulip View Post
Thanks, Clod!
She must do this every year now for many years. They will hold (and resell) her information even years later. With a SS and name, these people can do massive damage even to bank accounts.

AnnualCreditReport.com is the one that does not start charging you automatically for future reports (ie as FreeCreditReport.com does). Annual...com is the only one mandated by Federal law. And does not have hidden future charges attached to it. But one must ask for that report annually.
tw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2010, 10:03 PM   #6
Tulip
Professor

Thanks, Gravdigr and TW.
Old 11-02-2010, 12:12 PM   #7
Urbane Guerrilla
Person who doesn't update the user title

Lifelock has been advertising heavily. Might be worth the fifty a year -- they're the ones with the guy telling his SS# on the commercials.
Old 11-02-2010, 12:27 PM   #8
morethanpretty
Thats "Miss Zipper Neck" to you.

Which got stolen...
Old 11-02-2010, 12:29 PM   #9
morethanpretty
Thats "Miss Zipper Neck" to you.

Tulip, I would just stick to checking it on a regular basis through the free report. Try calling the BOA and ask if they have the information or they make such calls.