The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Home Base
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Home Base A starting point, and place for threads don't seem to belong anywhere else

Old 11-17-2003, 02:32 PM   #16
FileNotFound
Intouch with his inner sheep rider.

Well I made an appointment for 10am tomorow with my GP...

Thanks for the info.

It's certainly odd that I ask a bunch of complete strangers what to do about my elbow...I suppose thats the whole global village thing and the fact that unbiased opinion only comes from indifferent strangers. My gf or my mom would rush me to ER if I told them that I couldn't lift a coke can to my mouth with my left hand. But then they'd also rush me to ER if I told them that my head hurts like if it's got a 10' nail in it...which is the general state after work.
FileNotFound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2003, 02:47 PM   #17
Elspode
When Do I Get Virtual Unreality?

Strangely enough, most of us actually seem to care about most of the rest of us on some level. This is increased greatly when one of us does some sort of good deed for another!

Hope it isn't serious, FNF.
Old 11-17-2003, 02:59 PM   #18
FileNotFound

Elspode, the thing about online relationships is that generaly they're more 'balanced'. While people do care about each other they do not do so in an excessive or even obsessive fashion. (Thats not to say that there are excessive or even obsessive online relationships...there are..I played EQ. I know)

The result is a fairly clear headed responce without the layers of "over protective care". As in, my mother would tackle me with an antibiotic bandaid and neosporin for even the smallest cut that really needed no attention.

Had she seen my left hand, she'd have soaked it in antibiotics then bandaged it for extra protection. Safe? Sure. Excessive? Yes. Some medical glue, liquid bandage, whatever you call it, took care of it. (Of course first I had to pull the cuts open and get all dirt out of them...that wasn't fun. Oh and do GET some medical glue if you don't have any. It will cut down your healing time 100 fold, yes it's expensive)

Hmm I kinda lost what I was trying to say...so let see. Medical Glue=Good. Online Relationships = Mostly Balanced RL Relationships = Too much pampering.
Old 11-17-2003, 03:44 PM   #19
breakingnews
Q_Q

Any time you have loss of motion is generally a sign to at least have an X-Ray taken. Particularly if there is a lot of pain - may be some busted or damaged tendons. And then once you know, you can judge future injuries against that one, though internal damage is tough to tell from exterior prodding (unless you're a doctor).

Of course if it just hurts to move something, it's probably just swelling and nothing extremely serious. That's diff from range of motion. I have some damage in my left ankle from not getting it checked out after spraining it ... of course now it's fully damage from breaking it 3 years ago, but still.
breakingnews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2003, 03:52 PM   #20
FileNotFound

Well I can't unbend it more than ~25 degrees nor bend it over ~95 degrees assuming that my arm is laid horizontaly on the table.

I think thats about the same range of motion I had yesterday. Oddly enough I had NO problems moving my hand initialy but it developed within 2 hours.
Old 11-17-2003, 04:15 PM   #21
tonksy
100:10100

fnf, i'm not a nurse or anything but i would think your lack of mobility may be due to swelling...seeing as how you could move it initially. best to get it checked, though.
Old 11-17-2003, 04:18 PM   #22
breakingnews
Q_Q

Quote:
Originally posted by FileNotFound
Well I can't unbend it more than ~25 degrees nor bend it over ~95 degrees assuming that my arm is laid horizontaly on the table.

I think thats about the same range of motion I had yesterday. Oddly enough I had NO problems moving my hand initialy but it developed within 2 hours.
Adrenaline and endorphins keep the blood moving faster and the swelling down, which is why you would be okay for a few hours (and not feel any pain). Notice when you start icing it really starts to swell.
breakingnews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2003, 07:26 PM   #23
lumberjim
I can hear my ears

I think in this case, you should cut your arm off at the elbow, and look inside to see what the problem is. If it looks ok, just put it back on....if it doesn't , take it to the doctor and see what he can do with it....if the doctor has a drive though window, you won't even have to miss any work.

hope that helps....i know you've already gotten a lot of good advice, but i didn't think any of it was very funny. remember, laughter is the BEST medicine...i know, i saw it in reader's digest.
lumberjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2003, 08:48 PM   #24
elSicomoro
Person who doesn't update the user title

I'd just look for one of those voodoo folks in the Citypaper...they'll fix you right up, and maybe even give you a free curse.

(Going to the doctor: good choice)
elSicomoro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2003, 09:49 PM   #25
Uryoces
2nd Covenant, yo

A similar fall for me a number of years ago resulted in a greenstick fracture of my fibia/humerus? I just had to wear a sling for a while. It healed up just fine. It did exhibit some swelling, though.
Old 11-17-2003, 10:20 PM   #26
elSicomoro
Person who doesn't update the user title

humerus: upper arm bone
ulna and radius: lower arm bones
femur: upper leg bone
tibia and fibula (erroneously called the fibia at times): lower leg bones
elSicomoro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2003, 01:10 PM   #27
russotto
Professor

OK, syc, can we get acetabulum, clavicle, and coccyx defined too?

When I smacked my forearm skating, it seemed to heal, then got incredibly painful and swelled up again about two weeks after the original injury (no re-injury involved). Then it healed back up fine. Being stubborn, I didn't see a doctor so I don't know if it was fractured or what.
russotto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2003, 04:33 PM   #28
Uryoces
2nd Covenant, yo

Quote:
Originally posted by sycamore
humerus: upper arm bone
ulna and radius: lower arm bones
femur: upper leg bone
tibia and fibula (erroneously called the fibia at times): lower leg bones
Anatomy was a looong time ago. From my corrected pick 'o bones, that would be either my radius or my ulna. I only remember tibia from the Python sketch. "Fractured tibia, Sargent..." Yeah. Would have looked funny wearing the sling on my leg.
Old 11-18-2003, 04:59 PM   #29
Griff
still says videotape

Quote:
Originally posted by Elspode
One of the dangers of untreated injuries to joints is the greater liability you'll have to future complications from arthritis. Take it from someone who knows...get it looked at. In the meantime, take 600-800 mg of ibuprofen three times per day, ice it on a semi-regular schedule, and work it through a simple range of motion.
Patrick is right on the money here. I snapped a finger pretty good mountain biking and went the "rub some dirt on it" route. After going untreated for a good long time, it went arthritic on me but seems to be responding to glucosamine
Old 11-20-2003, 03:41 PM   #30
FileNotFound

Just to add a "finishing" touch to this thread.

I just got a call from my doctor and I had/have a hairline fracture in my elbow. He wasn't specific in which part of the elbow and I didn't much care.

It's nothing serious and there is no special treatment for it. The only advice of the doctor was to go easy on it for the next few weeks.

In the end I might as well not have gone to the doctor..still I suppose it did something to ease my mind.

Thanks for the advice everyone.