The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Current Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Current Events Help understand the world by talking about things happening in it

Old 05-24-2004, 01:46 PM   #76
elSicomoro
Person who doesn't update the user title

"It's always fun until someone gets hurt, then it is just hilarious..."--Faith No More

I don't think we know enough yet to say whether this was a prank or an assault.
elSicomoro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2004, 01:49 PM   #77
dar512
dar512 is now Pete Zicato

Answer the question Radar, or admit your position is bogus.
dar512 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2004, 03:56 PM   #78
ladysycamore
"I may not always be perfect, but I'm always me."

Quote:
Originally posted by Beestie
So what we have here is an attempted practical joke/prank/whatever. And the arrest was made not after the teacher called 911 but after an off-duty deputy heard about it.

Nothing happened and nothing should happen. Expulsion? Unthinkable for such a non-event. This is an overreaction and a misuse of police power, imho.
Perhaps, but IMO, the intent is just as bad. Why? Because it could have very well ended up very badly if they had indeed successful in tying up the teacher. I think some sort of punishment should be issued for the intent, and if I were that teacher, I'd get a restraining order real quick. Joke or no joke, WTF did they feel the need to attempt to tie up a teacher in the first damned place?? And who's to say that they won't try this again? *tsk*

"The Akan concept of Sankofa: In order to move forward we first have to take a step back. In other words, before we can be prepared for the future, we must comprehend the past." From "We Did It, They Hid It"
ladysycamore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2004, 04:24 PM   #79
OnyxCougar
Junior Master Dwellar

Quote:
Originally posted by ladysycamore

Perhaps, but IMO, the intent is just as bad. Why? Because it could have very well ended up very badly if they had indeed successful in tying up the teacher. I think some sort of punishment should be issued for the intent, and if I were that teacher, I'd get a restraining order real quick. Joke or no joke, WTF did they feel the need to attempt to tie up a teacher in the first damned place?? And who's to say that they won't try this again? *tsk*
Et lux in tenebris lucet!! **cuddles Rho**

Impotentes defendere libertatem non possunt.

"Repetition does not transform a lie into a truth."
~Franklin D. Roosevelt
OnyxCougar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2004, 04:38 PM   #80
Radar
Constitutional Scholar

Quote:
Answer the question Radar, or admit your position is bogus.
Sure. I'll do that right after you admit this has nothing to do with a rights issue, and that it was nothing other than a harmless prank.
Old 05-24-2004, 04:50 PM   #81
OnyxCougar
Junior Master Dwellar

But you don't KNOW that's all they were intending. We know they intended to tie up a teacher against his will. They SAY that's all they were gonna do. But we don't KNOW that. What if they taped him to that chair and beat him to an inch of his life? Or God forbid, kill him? We don't know what their intentions were. The bottom line is, they should not have even attempted to put their hands on ANY other nonconsenting individual, period. It's not about sense of humor. It's about attempted assault.

Yes, I know, this argument has been used in this thread before, and no, I don't seriously expect you to change your closed mind. And I'm pretty sure you'll make some arrogant remark about my intelligence again, just because you don't agree with just about every other individual that posted on this thread.

But I hadda say it anyway.

Impotentes defendere libertatem non possunt.

"Repetition does not transform a lie into a truth."
~Franklin D. Roosevelt
OnyxCougar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2004, 08:52 PM   #82
dar512
dar512 is now Pete Zicato

Quote:
Originally posted by Radar

Sure. I'll do that right after you admit this has nothing to do with a rights issue, and that it was nothing other than a harmless prank.
The requests are not analogous, dancing boy. I've requested that you answer a simple yes or no question. It's a reasonable question to ask and you are afraid to answer it.
dar512 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2004, 09:48 PM   #83
lumberjim
I can hear my ears

dar, this is getting boring. We ALL know that no one has the right to do what they did.

If the kids had true malicious intent, they wouldn't have let the teacher get away. It's relatively simple to me. 5 17-18 yr olds could easily have had their way with him. they didn't. When he put up a fuss, they let him go.

I'm not saying it makes it ok, but the kids must have felt pretty comfortable with this particular teacher to attempt this. Over the line, for sure. But the kids didn;t sit around a pizza and think up a way to impinge on his rights, they concocted a poorly advised prank. i still think it was an attempt at repetition of what one of their father's or other strong male influences told them about.

get off the moral high horse, and look at the heart of the matter.
lumberjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2004, 11:21 AM   #84
Troubleshooter
The urban Jane Goodall

If people knew what somebody goes through getting their Shellback or their Blue Nose or having your Dolphins tacked on in then Navy, or any other ritual/hazing they'd shut their whiny holes.

It doesn't sound as if the teacher actually reported it as a crime. The person who initiated the charges is a dumbass. Sure the kids should suffer some consequences for their poor decision making. You don't put your hands on someone else and you should be attentive of the respect between teacher and student.

And what the hell is a resource officer? It sounds like a case of "hydroceramic technician" syndrome to me.
Old 05-25-2004, 11:37 AM   #85
jaguar
whig

Gotta agree, the little fuckers deserve to be beaten around the head with the book and then have it thrown at them, end of story. People with judgement that poor an such little respect of the rights of others just go on to become bigger assholes, give them a probationary conviction, toss away their degree and maybe it`ll sink in.

This is in no way whatsoever comparable to hazing, particularly military hazing (which trust me, I know all about).
Old 05-25-2004, 12:22 PM   #86
Radar
Constitutional Scholar

Quote:
If people knew what somebody goes through getting their Shellback or their Blue Nose or having your Dolphins tacked on in then Navy, or any other ritual/hazing they'd shut their whiny holes.
You are absolutely correct.

Quote:
Gotta agree, the little fuckers deserve to be beaten around the head with the book and then have it thrown at them, end of story. People with judgement that poor an such little respect of the rights of others just go on to become bigger assholes, give them a probationary conviction, toss away their degree and maybe it`ll sink in.
No, they don't deserve to be "beaten", they don't deserve any punishment what-so-ever, and anything that happened as a prank has nothing to do with thier passing the required classes, tests, and other requirements to earn their diploma. Taking that away is not even a rational option.

Quote:
This is in no way whatsoever comparable to hazing, particularly military hazing (which trust me, I know all about).
Yes, it is. While it doesn't have the centuries old tradition behind it, it's equally a non-issue and those who make it an issue are thought of as the same kind of people who would ask that someone be arrested, sued, beaten, or have their diploma robbed of them for hitting someone with a water baloon.
Old 05-25-2004, 12:27 PM   #87
jaguar
whig

There is a deep irony in you, of all people, saying that this isn`t an infringement of the guy`s rights.

Hazing is something you go though, usually to gain respect or entry to one kind of club or another, this is a teacher being tied to a chair by a bunch of arrogant, disrespectful fucks who need the fact they have no right whatsoever to lay a hand on another person drilled into the very fucking hard before their next prack, which will proably involve serious bodily harm or gang rape, they`re great jokes aren`t they.
Old 05-25-2004, 12:38 PM   #88
Radar
Constitutional Scholar

Quote:
There is a deep irony in you, of all people, saying that this isn`t an infringement of the guy`s rights.
I've said no such thing. I've said this is not a rights issue. It has nothing to do with the guys rights. It has to do with a prank and a guys sense of humor, or in this case lack of a sense of humor. An affliction which you both suffer from.

Justice is about punishment fitting the crime, and in this case the crime is no more serious than Jay Walking if even that much.

There is no evidence what-so-ever that they were doing anything other than taping the teacher to a chair. There was especially nothing even remotely suggesing they intended to commit a violent act or sexual assault. Only an idiot would suggest we arrest people for something they MIGHT do. But then again, you've proven all too often you fit that description perfectly.

Is hitting someone with a waterbaloon a serious crime in your book too? Maybe they were going to fill it with acid? Maybe they were going to fill it with nitro glycerine? Who knows? Perhaps they wanted to blow up the school with waterbaloon bombs right? Since you lack common sense, I'll spell it out for you. A water balloon is usually filled with water and when it hits someone, they are not permanently damaged. In this case, just as in the case of taping a teacher to a chair, the appropriate punishment would be for someone to say, "Knock it off" and that should be the end of it.

But some psycho retarded assholes out there want to make a big deal out of it, and suggest insane things like taking away their diploma, expelling them, arresting them, or even beating them. The only people who should be beaten are those stupid enough to suggest any of these or even those who would notify the police. They obviously need some sense knocked into them.

I suppose you'd want the death penalty for those who TP your house?

Last edited by Radar; 05-25-2004 at 12:40 PM.
Radar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2004, 12:42 PM   #89
Happy Monkey
I think this line's mostly filler.

Quote:
Originally posted by Radar
I've said no such thing. I've said this is not a rights issue. It has nothing to do with the guys rights.
If you say something isn't a rights issue, and has nothing to do with rights, then you are indeed saying that it isn't an infringement of his rights.
|_______________| [pics]
Happy Monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2004, 12:47 PM   #90
jaguar
whig

Are familiar with the phrase "to throw the book at someone", I extended it, I did not imply they should be beaten, please stop using a straw man. Ditto for the water baloon.

The forcefully detained a man against his will, in my book that`s a sure sign of a certain type of personality and mentality which has a tendancy to lend itself towards a distinct lack of respect for others. If they think they can get away with tieing up teachers what comes next, they have demonstrated clearly they don`t respect the rights of others.

The line between a prank and malice is a dangerously thin one, if someone TPd your house you might think it`s a harmless prank but if they drop a molotov on your lawn you might think differently, if you don`t teach people to respect the rights and property of others from the start, they only get worse until they get pulled up.

One person`s harmless joke can really hurt another person, not to mention misjudged incidents that spiral out of control. If you can`t understand that you do not hae the right to lay your hands on another person you deserved to be pulled up on it fast and hard.