The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Home Base
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Home Base A starting point, and place for threads don't seem to belong anywhere else

Old 09-23-2011, 12:37 PM   #16
monster
I hear them call the tide

Thank you all. Breakfast with Mary was yummy. Now about lunch.....
Old 09-23-2011, 03:32 PM   #17
zippyt
LONG LIVE KING ZIPPY! per Feetz

So What are you getting your self for your Bday ?????
Old 09-23-2011, 04:24 PM   #18
Clodfobble
UNDER CONDITIONAL MITIGATION

Quote:
Originally Posted by monster
I sleep nekkid. I'm guessing I wouldn't get away with that.
Even moreso, since it's your birthday suit!
Clodfobble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2011, 11:34 PM   #19
monster

har. Didn't get home from the football until nearly 11:30. No cake today. but that means cake tomorrow!
Old 09-24-2011, 04:00 AM   #20
CzinZumerzet
.....short for Caz

Happy cake today Mon and hope it's calmer... And translation please 'scrip store'? And I hate Gin too, makes me cry and retch. Voddie seems the spirit of choice now but gimme Zummerzet Zider any day.
Old 09-24-2011, 04:22 AM   #21
DanaC
We have to go back, Kate!

Belated Birthday bumps Monster!
DanaC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2011, 06:07 AM   #22
monster

It's a fundraiser I run and every Friday afternoon I hold a store which makes it very easy for people to participate. If I remember to bring the goods. Which i didn't. For the first time in ?4 years.
Old 09-24-2011, 06:10 AM   #23
Sundae
polaroid of perfection

*ETA - Monster replied before I finished my screed*

From what I understand "scrip" is something schools sell for profit.
It's along the lines of vouchers. Parents buy them from the school at face value - say £10 worth of Tesco vouchers. But the school bought them for £8.00.

Obviously this is a British example (nix, it doesn't happen here) and I have invented the mark-up. I think I'm right in the way it works at least.

Parents only spend what they would have anyway, but the school benefits.
But it's volunteers like Monster that make it happen.

One of our current initiatives is selling lollies and ice creams after the school day.
They're bought from Costco (cash & carry - large discount store) and sold for 50p each. Again it's time intensive - someone needs to buy them, store them, be around to sell them. But it works. They cost pennies to buy in bulk, but 50p is still cheap compared to shops or ice-cream vans.

The PTA lost their big money-spinner when we went over to hot dinners. Hot Dog Day was the last Friday of every month and was extremely popular with children, parents AND staff.

Still, we have Cine Night. Next one 5th October.
I'll be there.
Although maybe I should lay off the leftover hotdogs this time.
I'm not only supposed to be losing weight for my 40th birthday, but Sarge might be coming to England next year!

Last edited by Sundae; 09-24-2011 at 07:55 AM.
Sundae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2011, 07:35 AM   #24
monster

and now back to me.......?

Did not have cake for breakfast -didn't think of it until now, but Hebe was already gone to practice by then. We might squeeze it in when beest gets home from paintball before Hebe goes off to the homecoming dance....
Old 09-24-2011, 07:57 AM   #25
Sundae
polaroid of perfection

Over to you as the expert of course!

I've looked into scrip as a fundraiser for our school after reading your adventures.
Just not available here, sadly.
Old 09-24-2011, 07:24 PM   #26
monster

So. lemme tell you about my birthday....

We're/I'm just not really big on birthdays, so I was OK with the nutso schedule. I'm still OK. We still haven't done cards/cake etc. I'm thinking early breakfast tomorrow.... mebbe.... oh no wait, no way hebe will be rouseable....

My friend Mary gave me a gorgeous purple origami construction. And refused to let me pay for breakfast, even though it was my turn.

But service was so-so, and it was right by the boys' school where my scrip order was waiting and a surprise visit to Thor's classroom never hurts.... (and, it turns out, was perfectly timed).... so I got home late, so not time to prepare for scrip store or go to the real pep rally, especially when I remembered Hebe was supposed to have candy to throw at the homecoming parade and I saw that school-colored beads and facepaint and outrageous hair accessories were order of the day for homecoming.... So I swerved by the dollar store to take care of those needs. And I made it to the scrip store on time. Except I forgot the damn scrip (I had taken it out of my bag to do a stock count and forgotten to put it back.....) ah well.

After that, off to get pizza and investigate the new sports store while pizza cooks. then dash to school, find Hebe to give her dollar store crap (she loves me) and pizza (ditto), meet beest and watch parade.

Watch first ever (American) football game. Get points for bringing butt cushions and blankets for family. Is homecoming game against nearest local rival, and our first with all 4 grades.

Why did they build a field where goals at one end result in ball in swamp and at the other, ball on concession/bathroom roof? netting, maybe?

Intense back-and-forth game ends with 3 point victory. for them. But all decided on the last play. At 0.01 left, our guy fumbles and drops the pass in the end zone. (did I say that right?) Woulda been 6 points if he caught it.

Last edited by monster; 09-24-2011 at 07:31 PM.
monster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2011, 07:40 PM   #27
monster

So, (pregame) one of the swim team recognised me and asked to leave her back pack in my car because they are not allowed in the stadium. So we hang around for 20 minutes after the game waiting for her to come and get it..... and eventually get pissed off and leave with it.

beest left immediatley with the boys, I have Hebe and a friend we are taking home. I get home as beest and the boys just got in and are are still unloading. WTF? I tend to get places faster than he does -I have better local knowledge-but we took the same damn route, but I left way later and I took a detour to drop someone off. I'mm'a call him Bermuda Beest from now on

....especially considering I've just realised he has now been 45 minutes dropping Hebe off at the homecoming dance and still isn't home -a round trip that takes me less than 30 minutes (and I don't speed)
Old 09-24-2011, 07:41 PM   #28
monster

it's 11:30 by the time we're all in the house and all three kids confess to being tired (a first!) so no cake etc. but I can live with that -I was kanckerd too.
Old 09-24-2011, 11:33 PM   #29
Lola Bunny
Junior Master Dwellar

Happy Belated Birthday, Monster! It doesn't matter when you get your birthday cake/party as long as you get it eventually, right?
Lola Bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2011, 10:48 AM   #30
monster

no cake yesterday either, maybe today....gonna have to be soon, they'll get stale!