The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Images > Image of the Day

Image of the Day Images that will blow your mind - every day. [Blog] [RSS] [XML]

Old 01-11-2019, 11:25 PM   #1
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Jan 12th, 2019: Guitar Body Build

He spent $500 to build a guitar body out of colored pencils, he already had the neck and hardware.
It would be a lot of work but you could make cool patterns, pictures, or words out of specific lead colors.

Quote:
People make a lot of cool stuff from colored pencils. And when Burls Art saw them, he decided to take it up an octave.
“I saw a lot of people online making bowls out of colored pencils and I thought that was really cool but I wanted to make something that I can actually utilize and enjoy more so than a bowl when it’s finished,” Burls Art told Bored Panda. “Since I play guitar, I thought this would be a cool project that would accomplish that goal. I decided on making a (Fender) Stratocaster styled electric guitar… This was the first guitar I’ve ever built”

Quote:
“That’s 1200 colored pencils. Bought the cheapest ones I could find on Amazon. They ended up being nearly identical to Crayola.”
“Cheap harbor freight mini miter saw cutting the pencils into 2″ pieces”
“Cutting the pencils was by far the most tedious portion of the build”
I think he cut them in thirds, and he took the pictures with Crayolas but definitely used knockoffs.

Quote:
“In goes the epoxy resin”
“Tracing the template onto the slab”
“The epoxy resin / pencils combination was far too dense for me to cut with a jig saw alone, even using a diamond blade. Because of this, I had to drill out the pencil cores to make life a little bit easier on the jig saw”

“The entire block was sanded with 80 grit on the belt sander. Then the left side was progressively sanded up to 360 grit. So the higher grit I went, the more color smear would occur. Smearing was minimal until I went above about 220 grit. This left me with 2 choices.. either have a smooth surface and a grayish/smeared color tone… or… have good clean wood and led colors but at the cost of only being able to sand to 220. The choice was pretty obvious to me being that the colored pencils were the star of the build… I wanted to showcase their colors as much as possible”

Quote:
Burls Art couldn’t put an accurate number on the time it took him to complete his project. “I worked on it for 4-5 weeks for a few hours a day, like 2-4 hours probably. It took a long time, but for the most part, it was enjoyable. I think I could make one faster now though since I know the processes and things that I would do differently. I’d say I spent in the neighborhood of $500 on it, but some of that includes router bits and other pieces of equipment that I didn’t already have. I already had the guitar neck and hardware though so that saved some money.”
I wonder how heavy that is? You know actually what is epoxied together is the paint on the pencils so I hope it stays on the wood.

This is the video of the build.

link

Last edited by xoxoxoBruce; 01-11-2019 at 11:30 PM.
xoxoxoBruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2019, 02:34 PM   #2
BigV
Goon Squad Leader

Quote:
Originally Posted by xoxoxoBruce View Post
snip--
I wonder how heavy that is? You know actually what is epoxied together is the paint on the pencils so I hope it stays on the wood.
--snip
Could have used a very light sheet of fiberglass, maybe just on the back and/or sides for some strength.
Old 01-13-2019, 11:09 PM   #3
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

If he did that you wouldn't see the pencils which was the point.
Old 01-14-2019, 08:43 AM   #4
Gravdigr
The Un-Tuckian

Still could see the front. The back's gonna have buckle rash, and who cares about the sides...

I'd think that much epoxy would be plenty strong.

These statements have not been evaluated by the FDA, EPA, FBI, DEA, CDC, or FDIC. These statements are not intended to diagnose, cause, treat, cure, or prevent any disease. If you feel you have been harmed/offended by, or, disagree with any of the above statements or images, please feel free to fuck right off.
Gravdigr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2019, 09:38 AM   #5
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Depends on where he wears his buckle and the sides(edges) are the best effect. Without them the face could be a picture glued on.
Old 01-14-2019, 09:02 PM   #6
BigV
Goon Squad Leader

Quote:
Originally Posted by xoxoxoBruce View Post
If he did that you wouldn't see the pencils which was the point.
clear fiberglass and clear epoxy makes a clear finish. you can see examples of that all over the place, boatbuilders use this technique all the time. It can be made invisible.
Old 01-14-2019, 11:47 PM   #7
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Clear fiberglass?
Old 01-15-2019, 08:04 AM   #8
fargon
Person who doesn't update the user title

Light fiberglass is invisible when wetted down with resin, epoxy or polyester.
Heavily medicated for the good of mankind.
fargon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2019, 08:24 AM   #9
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Translucent, but I've never seen transparent, but that's a moot point, he's working with a solid block and doesn't need any fiberglas.
Old 01-15-2019, 11:46 AM   #10
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

our dude is thinking of plexiglass
Undertoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2019, 11:48 AM   #11
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

In any case, though, you do want to avoid having this thing be like over 9-10 lbs. heavy, or it will be a PITA to play. And here your tonewood is basically epoxy... did we talk tonewoods in the guitar building thread?
Undertoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2019, 10:57 AM   #12
lumberjim
I can hear my ears

A bit. Not as important as a solid construction with an electric, but the esoteric artisan will naturally prefer expensive sounding materials and espouse the superior quality of sound that they generate. In my opinion, light hard wood assembled precisely is the key.

Acoustics are a different story.

I saw a carbon fiber acoustic.

lumberjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2019, 02:17 PM   #13
Gravdigr
The Un-Tuckian

Not as expensive as I was expecting. A little steep, but not too bad.

These statements have not been evaluated by the FDA, EPA, FBI, DEA, CDC, or FDIC. These statements are not intended to diagnose, cause, treat, cure, or prevent any disease. If you feel you have been harmed/offended by, or, disagree with any of the above statements or images, please feel free to fuck right off.
Gravdigr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2019, 02:33 AM   #14
aradralami
Person Who Has Posted

Quote:
Originally Posted by lumberjim View Post
A bit. Not as important as a solid construction with an electric, but the esoteric artisan will naturally prefer expensive sounding materials and espouse the superior quality of sound that they generate. In my opinion, light hard wood assembled precisely is the key.

Acoustics are a different story.

I saw a carbon fiber acoustic.

I have really been looking for a comfortable acoustic. I like the bolt through the neck making life much easier. Things I hate about my acoustic is worries about drying. I like it.
aradralami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2019, 02:52 AM   #15
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Thanks Aradralami, that was interesting. A bonus is that the carbon fiber look is very popular in a lot of fields, probably because it's associated with light, strong, high-performance, expensive toys.