The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Cities and Travel

Cities and Travel Tell us about where you are; tell us about where you want to be

Old 08-24-2018, 09:39 AM   #331
bbro
Insert witty comment here

@Bruce - I never go hungry!

All new stuff ordered for the next trip. Hoping it gets here in time since I am too cheap to pay for express delivery.

- Rectangular sleeping bag rated to 30 degrees
- Air mattress linked in earlier post
- Camping pillow with removable/washable cover

I noticed at my last trip that my pillow just keeps getting damp. I don't like that. I have fears of it getting mold and killing me. I have no way of washing it because my apartment complex has the cheapest washers on the market. I figured this would be a better solution.

When I get the new stuff, I'll take the old stuff back for a full refund. I should end up only paying for the water shoes I bought.
Old 08-25-2018, 10:21 AM   #332
BigV
Goon Squad Leader

Hey bbro

just a quick observation.

You're begging for trouble laying out that groundcloth/tarp so that it extends beyond the bottom edge of the tent. It's a bad habit, it doesn't help you in the least in this situation. You'd setup a carpet like that in your house, or a placemat at the dinner table, I totally get how it *looks* right, but I promise you it's a bad idea.

What you're trying to protect here is the bottom of the tent, the floor of the tent. You want to protect it from water and from sharp things, rocks and sticks. The water is the problem when the groundcloth extends beyond the footprint of the tent. The water is not coming up from the ground to the tent (unless you pitch your tent in a puddle), it's coming down from the sky. You *want* it to hit the tent roof and the fly and the walls and continue downward into the ground, right at the edge of the tent. Into the ground/gravel/dirt. Giving a little lip/ledge for the water to hit before it can reach the dirt redirects it to the underside of the tent. PRESTO, you're camping in a puddle.

I'm not the camping boss of you--do what you want. But I am speaking with the voice of experience.

Old 08-25-2018, 11:13 AM   #333
captainhook455
Rapscallion

Digging a trench at the drip line helps too. Scouting teaches more than knot tying.
captainhook455 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2018, 04:30 PM   #334
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Not always.
Attached Images

Old 08-27-2018, 08:34 AM   #335
captainhook455
Rapscallion

When I use to camp there were only a few raised gravel platforms. Most parks didn't have them. I would look at the ground to see if there were water trails from rain. As tempting as a bare spot is under a tree that is not the spot for a tent.

I bet those campers who swam out of their tents wished that they camped on the hill where the photographer is standing.haha.
Old 08-27-2018, 10:10 AM   #336
bbro

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigV View Post
Hey bbro

just a quick observation.

You're begging for trouble laying out that groundcloth/tarp so that it extends beyond the bottom edge of the tent. It's a bad habit, it doesn't help you in the least in this situation. You'd setup a carpet like that in your house, or a placemat at the dinner table, I totally get how it *looks* right, but I promise you it's a bad idea.

What you're trying to protect here is the bottom of the tent, the floor of the tent. You want to protect it from water and from sharp things, rocks and sticks. The water is the problem when the groundcloth extends beyond the footprint of the tent. The water is not coming up from the ground to the tent (unless you pitch your tent in a puddle), it's coming down from the sky. You *want* it to hit the tent roof and the fly and the walls and continue downward into the ground, right at the edge of the tent. Into the ground/gravel/dirt. Giving a little lip/ledge for the water to hit before it can reach the dirt redirects it to the underside of the tent. PRESTO, you're camping in a puddle.

I'm not the camping boss of you--do what you want. But I am speaking with the voice of experience.

I know, I know. glatt, Grav and monster all mentioned it, too, on my first solo trip. I'll have to tape it up or something. Otherwise, I'm just not gonna. I don't use it for anything other than putting it under my tent. Even with using it, I think I found some holes in my tent floor. I'll have to "patch" those next trip. What I really need is a proper tent, but those bad boys are EXPENSIVE! Or I'm just cheap!

My next trip is this weekend coming up. The weather forecast depends on where you are looking. One says some chance of rain every day. One says only one day of moderate/heavy rain. The camping this time will be more of a base camp type thing. I am using it to visit parks in the north east corner of the state. I'm hoping that since it's not in the mountains, I'll have data access to check the weather.

Most of the meals this time will be eaten at local restaurants. I'm technically starting my vacation, so I figured why not. This may require me to shower at the site which does not make me happy. I have issues with bugs in bathrooms. Especially when overhead. BUT I'll still need 2 dinners, 1 breakfast, 1 lunch, and some snacks (not including the extra I always have). I think I am going to just repeat the last dinners while they're still fresh and tasty in my mind. I probably won't have a fire roaring because if it doesn't rain, it's going to be in the 90s
Old 08-27-2018, 12:11 PM   #337
glatt

For the tarp under the tent, you can just fold it and tuck the excess under the tent. Smooth it flat and you won't even notice it when you are inside the tent.
glatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2018, 01:09 PM   #338
bbro

Quote:
Originally Posted by glatt View Post
For the tarp under the tent, you can just fold it and tuck the excess under the tent. Smooth it flat and you won't even notice it when you are inside the tent.
True, but as evidenced by the past few trips, I'm not gonna do that. I'll tape it to the right size, then I don't have to think about it again.
Old 08-28-2018, 08:21 AM   #339
captainhook455
Rapscallion

It has been my experience that restaurants near tourist attractions leave alot to be desired. My son and I take our motorcycles to Cherokee, NC once a year and rent a cabin with a kitchen. If you like dry meatloaf or dry salmon the restaurant is the way to go. We went to the KFC and they were out of dark chicken. WTH? It is best to visit the local Food Lion and cook in camp. Where we stay has a full kitchen, but I bring a deep frying pan with a glass lid.

If anyone would like to check this place out the accommodations are real log cabins. They brought them from various locations so they wouldn't be lost to rot. Its called ' Cabins in the Pines'. Really nice with all the trees and quiet until we fire up the bikes. The phone number is 828-497-9709. Believe it or not they take checks. Last year it was 65 a night for a house.
Old 08-28-2018, 11:33 AM   #340
bbro

So, I was looking into the rest of the camping trips and realized the last one is actually a hike in site. I'm not sure what to do. I don't want to have to buy a hole bunch of stuff for one night. It's a mile hike in, so it's not like I can make multiple trips to the car to carry everything.

I am contemplating sleeping in a hammock, but even then, I don't know how to get the stuff to the site. I have one day pack for hiking (not very big) and another day pack (about the same size) as an extra. I can leave my hiking backpack in the car, maybe, since I'll probably pass it on my way out. But, then I have to think about the hammock, rainfly (I think we all know it's gonna rain), sleeping bag, clothes, food (if I attempt to cook at the site), possible bear canister, and all the odds and ends I might need. *SIGH*

Like, I want to go, but at the same time, I'm not sure I CAN go logistically. Any advice is appreciated.
Old 08-28-2018, 11:43 AM   #341
glatt

Well, it's a different game, hiking in to a site. You need to take less stuff than you normally would, and you don't want any of your stuff to be too heavy. You need something big enough to hold all your stuff.

Is there drinking water at the site, or do you need to buy a purification system or carry water in?

There are a lot more logistics to hiking in to a site.

You are capable to handle all of them, but you will probably have to spend some money on at least some new gear, unless you can borrow some.
Old 08-28-2018, 12:11 PM   #342
bbro

Quote:
Originally Posted by glatt View Post
Well, it's a different game, hiking in to a site. You need to take less stuff than you normally would, and you don't want any of your stuff to be too heavy. You need something big enough to hold all your stuff.

Is there drinking water at the site, or do you need to buy a purification system or carry water in?

There are a lot more logistics to hiking in to a site.

You are capable to handle all of them, but you will probably have to spend some money on at least some new gear, unless you can borrow some.
There are spigots in the camping area. It's this park. https://www.ncparks.gov/crowders-mountain-state-park

There's no one to borrow anything off of REI has a used gear outlet now, but it's still expensive. I think there is a used store near Asheville (where I'm going next week). I was also thinking of renting, if I can find somewhere. I know REI does, but I don't know which locations. I would think I need, at least, a tent and pack and a bear canister (if I need it). Everything else, I think, I can do with what I have.
Old 08-28-2018, 12:16 PM   #343
bbro

I found this site which looks promising! https://www.outdoorsgeek.com
Old 08-28-2018, 12:18 PM   #344
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

REI is high end, maybe look for cheaper stuff that you'll only use once is awhile.
Old 08-28-2018, 12:18 PM   #345
glatt

How much does the tent you have now weigh? It's only a mile. You can carry an 8 pound tent that far. You don't need a backpacking tent.

You probably will need a big backpack though. Unless you have a big duffel bag you can sling over your shoulder. Check craigslist. Or ebay. The summer is winding down, you might find that people are unloading their gear.