The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Home Base

Home Base A starting point, and place for threads don't seem to belong anywhere else

Old 02-04-2014, 11:11 AM   #46
footfootfoot
To shreds, you say?

Location: in the house and on the street-how many, many feet we meet!
What is mushrooms an expert at?
Old 02-04-2014, 11:34 AM   #47
Clodfobble
UNDER CONDITIONAL MITIGATION

Your mom.
Clodfobble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2014, 01:30 PM   #48
infinite monkey
Person who doesn't update the user title

*snorted out loud*
infinite monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2014, 02:18 PM   #49
glatt

me too
glatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2014, 04:01 PM   #50
footfootfoot
To shreds, you say?

Location: in the house and on the street-how many, many feet we meet!
Your mom is so expert she
Old 12-13-2018, 01:38 PM   #51
Gravdigr
The Un-Tuckian

Five (5) New Questions

One was chosen at random. Random. Get it?

1. Let's assume that you won't die from being in space with no suit, everything else is normal. If ya fart really hard, will ya go tootling through space (figuratively)? Could ya move from the propelling force of a fart in the vacuum of space? What if ya drink like six Bud Lights and then pee, in space?

2. Y'know when ya open that bottle of Bud Light/Caffeine Free Pepsi there's the little cloud of, what I assume to be, carbon dioxide in the neck of the bottle? I don't drink that cloud, I put a gentle puff of breath into the bottle to blow that little cloud away. Which has more co2, the little cloud, or the puff of used air that blows it out of the bottle?

3. You're in weightless space, and you're messing around with a blob of water floating in front of you. Is it surface tension that holds the blob together? If there was a pressure sensor inside the blob of water would it register anything?

4. If the blob of water (^above^) was big enough, could you swim in it in space? Or would ya just be moving water around?

5. Where was it the last time you saw it?

These statements have not been evaluated by the FDA, EPA, FBI, DEA, CDC, or FDIC. These statements are not intended to diagnose, cause, treat, cure, or prevent any disease. If you feel you have been harmed/offended by, or, disagree with any of the above statements or images, please feel free to fuck right off.
Gravdigr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2018, 01:41 PM   #52
Gravdigr
The Un-Tuckian

These statements have not been evaluated by the FDA, EPA, FBI, DEA, CDC, or FDIC. These statements are not intended to diagnose, cause, treat, cure, or prevent any disease. If you feel you have been harmed/offended by, or, disagree with any of the above statements or images, please feel free to fuck right off.
Old 12-13-2018, 01:57 PM   #53
Happy Monkey
I think this line's mostly filler.

1. Yes, you'd move. Probably not much, though, even for a world champion farter. So it depends on how fast you consider "tootling" to be. Pee: Better, but still not great.

2. No idea.

3. I believe hydrogen bonding holds it together, while surface tension pulls it into a sphere. The pressure sensor would probably register something, based on the "pulling into a sphere", rather than the "holding together". Plus, assuming it is done in a spaceship, it would add in the air pressure around it.

Outside of a spaceship, it would simultaneously boil, outgas, and freeze, so it wouldn't hold together well, but there may be large clumps, which would then start evaporating (sublimating). A pressure sensor in one clump would register pressure, since water freezes from the outside in, and ice is larger than water, so assuming the sensor isn't actually exposed by a crack, it would be compressed by the ice's expansion during freezing.

4. It's all relative. You would move forward relative to the water, and move the water backward relative to you. The center of mass of you and the water combined would remain still. If the water blob is considerably heavier than you, you would appear to be swimming in it by an outside observer. I suspect, but do not know or certain, that if you stopped swimming, you would drift to the center as it resumed a spherical shape.

5. Presumably right where I left it, but I don't remember where that was.
|_______________| [pics]

Last edited by Happy Monkey; 12-13-2018 at 02:05 PM.
Happy Monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2018, 02:05 PM   #54
glatt

1. Let's assume that you won't die from being in space with no suit, everything else is normal. If ya fart really hard, will ya go tootling through space (figuratively)? Could ya move from the propelling force of a fart in the vacuum of space? What if ya drink like six Bud Lights and then pee, in space?
Absolutely. For every action, there is an equal and opposite reaction. I imagine it would be difficult to control your course, but there would be movement.

2. Y'know when ya open that bottle of Bud Light/Caffeine Free Pepsi there's the little cloud of, what I assume to be, carbon dioxide in the neck of the bottle? I don't drink that cloud, I put a gentle puff of breath into the bottle to blow that little cloud away. Which has more co2, the little cloud, or the puff of used air that blows it out of the bottle?

I'm going to say it's the little cloud. Your breath (if you haven't been holding your breath and letting it build up) doesn't have very much carbon dioxide in it. Otherwise CPR wouldn't work.

3. You're in weightless space, and you're messing around with a blob of water floating in front of you. Is it surface tension that holds the blob together? If there was a pressure sensor inside the blob of water would it register anything?

Good question. I don't know. I would guess that if it was sensitive enough, it would sense pressure, because of both the surface tension and minute amount of gravity within the blob of water, pulling it together.

4. If the blob of water (^above^) was big enough, could you swim in it in space? Or would ya just be moving water around?

This is the squirrel and hunter question in disguise.

If I remembered that, I would know where it is.
glatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2018, 02:13 PM   #55
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

1. Not only that, but -- I think it's the case that if you have a very large supply of farts, each consecutive fart would accelerate you a little faster until you were moving just below the speed of light.

5. Center console compartment of the car. Pretty sure I took it out of there and put it on my desk but...
Undertoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2018, 02:18 PM   #56
Happy Monkey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gravdigr View Post

Alternate reading of these questions: I last saw it in the movie "Passengers", where Jennifer Lawrence is swimming in a pool in a spaceship when it loses gravity.
|_______________| [pics]
Old 12-13-2018, 03:08 PM   #57
Gravdigr
The Un-Tuckian

Is that the one where the dude wakes her up like 90 yrs early from suspended animation/hibernation/whatever-the-word-is-that-I-CANNOT-come-up-with-atm?

Old 12-13-2018, 04:29 PM   #58
Happy Monkey

Yes, that's the one. Maybe you were thinking of cryonics or stasis? Sci-fi universes can have their own terms, too, like "hypersleep".
|_______________| [pics]
Old 12-13-2018, 07:45 PM   #59
BigV
Goon Squad Leader

Good answers

I concur.
Old 12-13-2018, 09:55 PM   #60
Clodfobble
UNDER CONDITIONAL MITIGATION

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gravdigr
Quote:
Originally Posted by glatt
I'm going to say it's the little cloud. Your breath (if you haven't been holding your breath and letting it build up) doesn't have very much carbon dioxide in it. Otherwise CPR wouldn't work.
Definitely the cloud--it's pure CO2, having come from a physical pressure change that releases only dissolved CO2 from the liquid. An exhaled breath is mostly normal air (i.e., still mostly nitrogen) that your alveoli didn't interact with. (Googled it for an exact number: roughly 4-5% CO2 in an average exhale.)
Clodfobble is offline   Reply With Quote