The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Home Base
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Home Base A starting point, and place for threads don't seem to belong anywhere else

Old 04-29-2005, 02:10 PM   #1
busterb
NSABFD

Alcoholism

I realize this isn't a great topic for the party bunch, But it does seem to be screwing up my life.
I worked hard and played hard all my life. Now that I'm unable to work, it seems like I just drink beer all day. I can’t spell all the big words I'd like to use.
I'm almost Ready to check in the va and see if they can break this cycle.
I'm not hunting for the word that's between the two S's.
My health is going to hell in a hand basket, and I don't seem to care.
Anyway does anyone else have a problem?
Old 04-29-2005, 02:40 PM   #2
Elspode
When Do I Get Virtual Unreality?

I'm an alcoholic, Buster, now sober about 355 days a year. I've managed to go from something like two cases of beer and a half gallon of whiskey per week to a bit less than that per year over the past eight years. I drank pretty much every other day for about 25 years, give or take a few months.

It hasn't been (still isn't) easy. Sometimes chemical relaxation is the only answer even now. However, I've learned to ask better questions than I used to, and then work on the answers without ethanol being involved. It is a highly worthwhile pursuit to get yourself in a better place, and I recommend it without hesitation.

If you think you have a problem, you have a problem. Go see your friends at the VA if you need to. I had the advantage of a supportive spouse, a lot of friends, and a real nasty stubborn streak to get 'er done, so I managed to evade formal treatment, AA or any of that crap. YMMV.

You do what you need to do to deal with it. Let us know how it goes. Let us know if you wanna talk.
Old 04-29-2005, 02:45 PM   #3
kerosene
Touring the facilities

I am sorry to hear you are struggling with this, but at least you are aware of the dangers you could be headed for. I hear the va rehabilitation facilities can be really good, in the right places. I would at least look into getting involved in the community AA meetings in your area. They are in every town, as far as I know. I have heard they also can be a great support system for those who have problems with alcohol and for those who have family members who are alcoholic. I am no expert, of course, but you may find some good friends this way who can give you hope for yourself. If you feel like drinking beer is affecting your ability to function as you normally do, I would definitely look into some kind of treatment.

Again, congratulations for recognizing this at what seems to be an early point. You may be able to avoid more serious problems (in regards to mental, physical and emotional health.)
kerosene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2005, 02:58 PM   #4
Trilby
Slattern of the Swail

Wow--is this ever timely for me. I'm an alcoholic and a drug addict--going on 25 years myself. My last drink (so far) was Monday (all day) because on Tuesday I had to go for my arraignment for felony theft of drugs (from work) and I really "needed" it. Going to court is no fun, but going hung-over is even MORE no fun. I've been "dry" since tuesday but I was really, REALLY thinking of drinking today. Until you brought this up. Thank you.

I am going to lose my license, my career (such as it was going) and face time in prison. I am sad to say that it was it has taken to wake me up to my addictions. I was/am (?) and every-other day sort of drinker (pint and 1/2 of Absolut qod) and took all the percocets, vic ES, demerol, MSo4, benzo's I could lay my hands on. I never copped on the street---I don't know how, and I've tried!--I always, ALWAYS took from work. I stole from the pharmacy machine that dispenses drugs---one for the patient and two for me.

I know this will really make some Cellarites mad, but I'm just going to hit "post quick reply" and let it go. If you want to hate me for it, hate me.

But, again, busterb, thanks for showing some uncommon courage.
In Barrie's play and novel, the roles of fairies are brief: they are allies to the Lost Boys, the source of fairy dust and ...They are portrayed as dangerous, whimsical and extremely clever but quite hedonistic.

"Shall I give you a kiss?" Peter asked and, jerking an acorn button off his coat, solemnly presented it to her.
—James Barrie

Wimminfolk they be tricksy. - ZenGum
Trilby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2005, 03:05 PM   #5
wolf
lobber of scimitars

You're expressing some major courage here yourself, Bri. Good luck. I'm sad for you, but I don't hate you for what you've done. I think you're probably doing enough of that for yourself.

"Conspiracies are the norm, not the exception." --G. Edward Griffin The Creature from Jekyll Island

High Priestess of the Church of the Whale Penis
wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2005, 03:29 PM   #6
glatt

What a heavy thread. I wish I had some helpful advice I could give you both, but I have no insights on this one.

Buster, it sounds like you are ready to seek some help. That's great. Seriously. You should do it.

I don't hate you Brianna. In fact, I really hope things go as well as they possibly can for you from here. It must be really scary waiting to find out exactly what is going to happen next. Hang in there.
glatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2005, 03:30 PM   #7
Trilby
Slattern of the Swail

thank you, wolf and glatt. a lot.
In Barrie's play and novel, the roles of fairies are brief: they are allies to the Lost Boys, the source of fairy dust and ...They are portrayed as dangerous, whimsical and extremely clever but quite hedonistic.

"Shall I give you a kiss?" Peter asked and, jerking an acorn button off his coat, solemnly presented it to her.
—James Barrie

Wimminfolk they be tricksy. - ZenGum

Last edited by Trilby; 04-29-2005 at 03:31 PM. Reason: to include glatt!!
Trilby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2005, 03:42 PM   #8
wolf
lobber of scimitars

I don't do advice, really. People don't follow advice. They do a lot better when it comes to making their own decisions based on choices, informed or emotional.

I might suggest, however, consideration of utlizing your available supports, finding new ones, if necessary, and seeking help if you think you need it. Checking out the help available even if you think you do not.

Nobody's really alone.

Unless you allow yourself to be.

"Conspiracies are the norm, not the exception." --G. Edward Griffin The Creature from Jekyll Island

High Priestess of the Church of the Whale Penis
wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2005, 05:42 PM   #9
Griff
still says videotape

Good luck to both of you.
Old 04-29-2005, 06:31 PM   #10
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

One of the great advantages of AA is it gives you a whole new circle of friends. Some will be in the same place you are. Some will be just passed where you're going next. Many will be old hands that have been there/done that and have discovered how to live, love and laugh without "it"
You don't have to be in very long before the opportunity might arise where you can help a newbie and that will be as much benefit to you as to them.
I know quite a few members, anywhere from 4 months to 42 years sober.
It's a good thing....a very good thing.
Old 04-29-2005, 09:10 PM   #11
busterb
NSABFD

Bruce. I'll let this set over weekend. I once in AA big time. But as I said later.
Old 04-29-2005, 09:31 PM   #12
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Cool.
Old 04-30-2005, 04:11 PM   #13
Queen of the Ryche
is fleeing the scene

Good luck both Busterb and Brianna - Nice thing is you know where you can always come for non-judgemental, thoughtful, rational support. Cellarites seem to be the most compassionate group of people I've witnessed. And don't ever be afraid to ask for help when you need it - you'd be amazed at how generous true friends can be in situations like these.

I'd rather be judged by twelve than carried by six.
Queen of the Ryche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2005, 08:44 PM   #14
lumberjim
I can hear my ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brianna
I know this will really make some Cellarites mad, but I'm just going to hit "post quick reply" and let it go. If you want to hate me for it, hate me.
o contraire.

i think you're hot now.
lumberjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2005, 10:14 PM   #15
Beestie
-◊|≡·∙■·∙≡|◊-

Tip of the hat and a nod of respect to both busterb and brianna.

I don't have any experience wrestling a demon of that magnitude so I am limited to shouting encouragement from the cheap seats whatever it might be worth. Good luck to you both - I have seen others conquer this and what you have in common with them is the willingness and, frankly, the balls to speak plainly and openly about it.

Round one goes to busterb and brianna. The once invincible demon is on the ropes - startled at the taste of his own blood.