The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Health

Health Keeping your body well enough to support your head

Old 02-18-2011, 02:23 PM   #1
busterb
NSABFD

A cure for any ailment

There they hey were, the Smith Brothers. Their pictures with full beard and flowing locks appeared right on the package of cough suppressants, produced and marketed as Smith Brothers cough Drops. Sadly, the Smith Brothers have gone the way of many "across the counter" cures that were widely consumed during the '30s and '40s.

I can still see the rows of a tonic called 666 which was guaranteed to cure any ailment and tasted as bitter as gall. The makers of 666 claimed it would cure anything from malaria fever to muscle spasms. Some people were very much against taking 666 because of the name. After all, did not the Book of Revelation plainly state the 666 was the sign of the beast, the antichrist sent to destroy mankind.

Many elixirs and tonics that were once sold contained a high alcohol content.

Sales of these patent medicines were brisk during prohibition and later in areas of the country where the sale of alcohol was prohibited. A person could get a real "buzz" by consuming three or four bottles of one of these tonics.

Dr. Tischners was a very popular tonic, and any member of my generation would certainly remember Hadacol. The popularity of Hadacol was so great that a song titled "The Hadacol Boogie" was composed and played quite often on radio.

Those who suffered from pain in the lower lumbar region of the spine declared that they found great relief by taking a medicine called Doan's Pills. Another medicine in pill form was Carter's Little liver Pills. I do believe that Carter's pills are still on the market although the Pure Food and Drug Act prohibited the company mentioning the word "liver" in advertisements.

Freckles and what are commonly referred to as "liver spots" could be removed with applications of a salve called Black and White Ointment. Female ailments were treated with a product called Lydia E. Pinkham Compound. Lydia's portrait was prominently displayed on each bottle, looking much like Mary Todd Lincoln. Ms. Pinkham apparently was proud of her concoction. Since this medicine was taken only by women, if a young man did anything which was not considered masculine someone would remark, "He must be taking Lydia E. Pinkham's Compound."

Every household had a jar of Vicks Salve. Children with a cold were swathed iin this salve and tucked into bed wearing flannel pajamas and under many quilts and blankets. The small blue glass jar has become collectible and sells at flea markets. The product is still produced, but only in plastic jars.

Mercurochrome and iodine were sold in tiny bottles with rubber stoppers into which a glass swab had been inserted. These products were used on cuts, scratches and bug bites. Children, just as they are fascinated by bandaids today, were fascinated by mercurochrome and delighted in painting red designs on their bodies with it. In fact, some children feigned a pain just to get mercurochrome on their arms and legs.

For a number of years, Clarence Blount manufactured and marketed a hair tonic and restorer called Blount's Four Star Treatment. This hair tonic was a product that really worked. It would, with continued use, restore color to gray hair. It also helped to control dandruff. ( My Dad swore by this.)
Bottle collectors now seek out Blount's Four Far Treatment bottles. They are quite rare, but occasionally one can be found in a flea market or at a "trash and treasures" operation.

Blount's Four Star Treatment was manufactured in Decatur, Mississippi, and another local product Charm Pederma was made in Union. Charm Pederma would cure the rash, the itch, and athlete's foot. This product was widely used for a number of years and apparently with great success. (Wish I could find some.)

When he was a young boy, my Uncle Carl sold a product called Cloverine Salve. For the rest of his life, he was known as "Doc." a name which was used in a second generation by all of his nieces and nephews who called him "Uncle Doc." Cloverine Salve continues to be available today although it is not as widely used as it was during the years the Great Depression.

All people my age will remember castor oil. This horrible tasting oil was given with a swallow of orange juice or the juice of a lemon. Castor oil was supposed to give an individual what was referred to as a "cleaning out."

There was a time when the mantel above the fireplace in most country homes held a clock, some family pictures, and a box of matches. The mantel also served as a shelf to hold a variety of patent medicines. Among the mantel medicines would be a tonic, a bottle of cough syrup, a bottle of aspirin, ear oil (for the earache), a bottle of alcohol, and a jar of Vicks Salve.

Patent medicines come and go. The next generation will remember the cures of today as they take a whole new assortment of medications for the aches and pains which are a part of life. A link for Hadacol.
BB
Old 02-18-2011, 03:27 PM   #2
Sundae
polaroid of perfection

Quote:
Originally Posted by busterb View Post
Female ailments were treated with a product called Lydia E. Pinkham Compound. Lydia's portrait was prominently displayed on each bottle, looking much like Mary Todd Lincoln. Ms. Pinkham apparently was proud of her concoction. Since this medicine was taken only by women, if a young man did anything which was not considered masculine someone would remark, "He must be taking Lydia E. Pinkham's Compound."
Ever hear Lily the Pink?

It was on the jukebox in the George and Dragon which was my local village pub when I was 23. Myself and Li'l Matty Tomlinson (which I called him because it was an incorrect version of his name) used to put it on and sing along, much to the disgust of pretty much the rest of the pub. It took us a couple of months to realise we both shared a love of musical theatre - he saw me as a sensible office-type, I knew him as an engineering student. After that we were pretty much unbearable

Note - the poet Roger McGough is one of The Scaffolds. As is Paul McCartney's brother.
Quote:
Originally Posted by busterb View Post
Every household had a jar of Vicks Salve. Children with a cold were swathed iin this salve and tucked into bed wearing flannel pajamas and under many quilts and blankets. The small blue glass jar has become collectible and sells at flea markets. The product is still produced, but only in plastic jars.
Vicks is alive and well in Britain. AT least in this household. Following a recent cold (a working hazard when 60% of the class have a runny nose) I have a plastic jar by my bed at this moment.

When I was growing up we had a nightlight if we were ill. No, not a friendly Snoopy or Disney character. It was a burner with a tealight underneath it. Something was added to it (Mum can't remember what) and we were expressly forbidden to touch. Of course. I think it worked on me because I was so terrified of its malevolent presence I forgot to stay awake with whatever I was afflicted with.

Mum also used to screw in a blue lightbulb when we were ill. I shared a room with my sister, and obviously coming in to tend to an ill child in the night would wake up the sibling and mean two children to contend with. She'd read it as a tip in some magazine. As far as I know it worked, but for me (if I was the ill one) it afforded me the great comfort of knowing I was being taken care of, and therefore probaly gave a better night sleep to all concerned.

When Dads was little is was still accepted to rub goose grease on children's chests and send them to school with brown paper stuffed under their shirts. And in Uncle Ted's time (he is over a decade older than Dad) children would still be stitched into their Winter vests (undershirts).

Dad's panacea is Germolene. It smells exactly how root beer tastes and is a pasty pink colour ointment now dispensed from a plastic tube. It's an antiseptic and local anaesthetic cream which is used to treat all manner of minor ailments. The joke in this family is that if Dad severed his leg he'd just apply Germolene. Whereas Mum would pack the limb in ice and call a taxi so as not to disturb the ambulance crew. He has tried to use it in completely inappropriate settings; when I was fifteen and he gashed his leg so badly it required stitches for example. But as a child I think it served us well. Especially on stinging nettle rash.

Last edited by Sundae; 02-18-2011 at 04:02 PM. Reason: Correcting the youtube link
Sundae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2011, 03:52 PM   #3
Happy Monkey
I think this line's mostly filler.

My old Boy Scout troop was named after the 666 tonic. At one point the scoutmaster got born again and unsuccessfully tried to change the number.
|_______________| [pics]
Happy Monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2011, 12:23 AM   #4
Flint
Snowflake

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy Monkey View Post
My old Boy Scout troop was named after the 666 tonic. At one point the scoutmaster got born again and unsuccessfully tried to change the number.
And he would've gotten away with it too, if it wasn't for you meddling kids and your damn dog.
expression. ... I found, like Joseph Campbell said, if you just follow whatever
gives you a little joy or excitement or awe, then you're on the right track.

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . Terry Bozzio
Flint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2011, 04:10 AM   #5
roygrimes50
Sibling of the Commonweal

A proper diet and drinking more water will cure most of your diseases!!!!first believe it then do it....
roygrimes50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2011, 06:37 AM   #6
ZenGum
Doctor Wtf

Quite a few older patent medicines contained hashish. I remember seeing a picture of one with a slogan like "a spoonful leaves you feeling relaxed and happy"; which, given that it was about 5% pure THC, was probably true!
Old 02-19-2011, 01:59 PM   #7
Gravdigr
The Un-Tuckian

Smith Brothers' Cough Drops are still around. You can get them in the original-type boxes, but they're more often found bagged, with the drops individually wrapped now. They're shaped different now, too.

These statements have not been evaluated by the FDA, EPA, FBI, DEA, CDC, or FDIC. These statements are not intended to diagnose, cause, treat, cure, or prevent any disease. If you feel you have been harmed/offended by, or, disagree with any of the above statements or images, please feel free to fuck right off.
Gravdigr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2011, 03:28 PM   #8
wolf
lobber of scimitars

I miss Smith Brothers chewy cough drops. The honey ones were always the best and worked much better for me than Sucrets, Ludens, or Halls.

"Conspiracies are the norm, not the exception." --G. Edward Griffin The Creature from Jekyll Island

High Priestess of the Church of the Whale Penis
wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2011, 09:27 PM   #9
Alluvial
Phenomenologist

Ludens Cherry were the only ones I could stand as a child.

Daddy said they used to get a teaspoonful of turpentine to cure them of worms.

- Louis Adamic
Alluvial is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2011, 11:15 PM   #10
Clodfobble
UNDER CONDITIONAL MITIGATION

Quote:
Originally Posted by busterb
Those who suffered from pain in the lower lumbar region of the spine declared that they found great relief by taking a medicine called Doan's Pills.
Doan's is still around as a backache medicine (don't know if it's the same formula as it used to be, though.) I've got a box of them in the bathroom cabinet.
Clodfobble is offline   Reply With Quote