The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Current Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Current Events Help understand the world by talking about things happening in it

Old 07-27-2011, 02:55 PM   #196
DanaC
We have to go back, Kate!

Again, Merc, it's about context. In a discussion where it's been mentioned that the editors of the tabloid papers routinely push their journalists to use a particular set of words to describe women in the news (not just the Page 3 girls, btw, any woman who appears in a news story is subject to this particular lexicon) alongside a comment about the dismissive nature of the 'page 3 girl' as she appears in the paper, you referred to those women as 'tarts' and dismissed any notion that such things are in anyway problematic.

The NSFW thread is a 'room' in an internet community where people, men and women, can show off their tackle and bits for exhibitionist purposes. That is a whole other kettle of fish, from women's tits framing the news for the male readership.
DanaC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2011, 02:59 PM   #197
TheMercenary
“Hypocrisy: prejudice with a halo”

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanaC View Post
Again, Merc, it's about context. In a discussion where it's been mentioned that the editors of the tabloid papers routinely push their journalists to use a particular set of words to describe women in the news (not just the Page 3 girls, btw, any woman who appears in a news story is subject to this particular lexicon) alongside a comment about the dismissive nature of the 'page 3 girl' as she appears in the paper, you referred to those women as 'tarts' and dismissed any notion that such things are in anyway problematic.
Maybe, just maybe it's because I don't read the paper, so I don't know what you are talking about in that context and so it just didn't matter to me. Which is probably why I was so flippant in my statement. It was not a statement about women in general, or my feelings about people who show their tits in a tabloid. And on top of that, as I stated to BV, I did not ever know the term "tart" to be one on par with "whore". Doesn't mean that me now and it didn't mean that before I made my comment.

Quote:
The NSFW thread is a 'room' in an internet community where people, men and women, can show off their tackle and bits for exhibitionist purposes. That is a whole other kettle of fish, from women's tits framing the news for the male readership.
Then that is a double standard and hipocritical, if I follow the comments made to me to be the standard. Which I disagree with btw....
Old 07-27-2011, 03:00 PM   #198
infinite monkey
Person who doesn't update the user title

Quote:

No, of course not. Every single person here is of strong mind and body and we could never assume that their reasoning to give in to the taunts and jeers could be ANYTHING but good old-fashioned "lovin' your bod exhibitionism." I might even buy that if it were amongst a group of real life friends, though it would take a while to throw the money down. No one here has any problems with self-esteem or self-value. We're all completely normal.

Really really really fine line you've drawn there. In fact, I find it nearly non-existent.

We've come a long way baby. We've so far to go.
infinite monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2011, 03:10 PM   #199
DanaC

My point is that there is a significant difference between what individuals do in their respective groups (some of which is downright unhealthy, much of which is to do with precisely the stuff you've mentioned) and the institutional depiction of women's bodies as a bit of light relief from all the seriousness.
Old 07-27-2011, 03:17 PM   #200
infinite monkey

OK, I see that now, what you meant.

When it's condoned, exalted even, in media that way, it permeates society...gives it the big thumbs up in public...I truly get what you mean.

(Just to say too, I'm no prude. I love the body I love, love being with the body I love, love sharing my body with the body I love. Maybe the past has made me more steely to what seems to be 'normal' that to me just seems sad, and smacks of self-denigration. It's quite easy to sum it up in one word, for me: respect. With a healthy dose of "you are one amazing woman" too, of course. I guess then, love and respect...and my world is your world.)
Old 07-27-2011, 03:35 PM   #201
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

Undertoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2011, 04:18 PM   #202
DanaC

lol

Nice one UT.
Old 07-27-2011, 04:34 PM   #203
infinite monkey

*snortle*

I love the satire, said the infinite satyr.
Old 07-27-2011, 04:46 PM   #204
BigV
Goon Squad Leader

sypeak for yoursylph, nymph.